The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by starlock
RE: Facebook Group

I've been wondering if a group existed since starting last month on the ngdp! I've applied to join, hopefully see you all in Warwick this week.
Reply 601
Hi all,

Please could someone tell me what the full process was for NGDP last time round? Did you have to sit any of these 'online tests' most places seem so keen on?

Thanks
Reply 602
Can anyone give us any tips on the interviews and what these are like? is there an asessment centre involved?
Seems like there are way too many hoops to jump through for only 50 places across the whole country. Looks like first you'll have to pass the NGDP interviews/assessment centres and then you'll have to do it all over again at the local authority level.

Also the fact that local authorities are having to make cut backs and savings does not do much for future career outlook in a local authority.
Original post by hk32718
Can anyone give us any tips on the interviews and what these are like? is there an asessment centre involved?

I'm not sure if it'll remain the same this year, but for Cohort 14 (this year's intake) we had to go through: initial application, first stage assessment centre, second stage assessment centre, final interviews at the local authorities.

There may have been a telephone interview but I may be thinking of another scheme I was applying for at the same time... either way, if there's any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Original post by Call me Sunday
Seems like there are way too many hoops to jump through for only 50 places across the whole country. Looks like first you'll have to pass the NGDP interviews/assessment centres and then you'll have to do it all over again at the local authority level.

Also the fact that local authorities are having to make cut backs and savings does not do much for future career outlook in a local authority.

This year's cohort numbers 94, which is up from 50 last year, that's quite a large leap. Despite the cutbacks I think most local authorities understand the need to train the next generation of managers and leaders, the only thing which may change is the amount of money invested in us NMTs during the scheme.
Original post by netprime
I'm not sure if it'll remain the same this year, but for Cohort 14 (this year's intake) we had to go through: initial application, first stage assessment centre, second stage assessment centre, final interviews at the local authorities.

There may have been a telephone interview but I may be thinking of another scheme I was applying for at the same time... either way, if there's any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

This year's cohort numbers 94, which is up from 50 last year, that's quite a large leap. Despite the cutbacks I think most local authorities understand the need to train the next generation of managers and leaders, the only thing which may change is the amount of money invested in us NMTs during the scheme.

Even so would be interested how many of the nmts still have their jobs after the two years and how many have been pushed out.

There is an equal argument that these schemes only hire nmts as a cheap labour on a contract and that they have no obligation to retain them thereafter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even so would be interested how many of the nmts still have their jobs after the two years and how many have been pushed out.

There is an equal argument that these schemes only hire nmts as a cheap labour on a contract and that they have no obligation to retain them thereafter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a very cynical view in my opinion, but given the desire by authorities to not squander resources in the age of austerity, I doubt you would pay an NMT for two years just to then "push them out". The councils pay for our wages and the majority of our development, so if you prove yourself, there is a 99% chance of a job at the end.
Certainly at my authority all previous NMTs have jobs or have had their contract extended whilst they look. Some of them even got jobs before they finished the scheme.
Original post by alicefward
Certainly at my authority all previous NMTs have jobs or have had their contract extended whilst they look. Some of them even got jobs before they finished the scheme.

Pretty much the same here. The Cohort above me have all found new work. Only 2 actual 'NMTs' left now.
Reply 609

I think the fact that you are able to get a job in local government in these very tough times shows any future employer, whether that be a local authority or not, that you have the skills and attitude to become a successful asset to that organisation.

And yes, I suppose graduates are a cost effective way to employ talented individuals, but your use of the term "cheap labour" is disrespectful not only to local government but to everyone in this forum. I don't think any organisation would invest so much time and money into the recruitment process and our personal development (which includes a Level 7 ILM qualification) just so they could use a few graduates for two years of "cheap labour".
Guys I just saw advertisement for the graduate scheme on Target Jobs.

Do you have to be in your final year to apply for this? I'm currently in my penultimate (2nd) year.
Original post by oiseau
I think the fact that you are able to get a job in local government in these very tough times shows any future employer, whether that be a local authority or not, that you have the skills and attitude to become a successful asset to that organisation.

And yes, I suppose graduates are a cost effective way to employ talented individuals, but your use of the term "cheap labour" is disrespectful not only to local government but to everyone in this forum. I don't think any organisation would invest so much time and money into the recruitment process and our personal development (which includes a Level 7 ILM qualification) just so they could use a few graduates for two years of "cheap labour".

Don't want to get into a debate about this, but the training invested in you is surprisingly cheap. Those soft skill workshops don't cost much and i don't know any local authorities offering cima/aca or masters funding on the first two years of the programme. Regarding the cheap labour point, afaik the ngdp salary is lower than both the national mean and median, so i guess relative to graduate schemes as a whole it is cheap labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 612
Don't want to get into a debate about this, but the training invested in you is surprisingly cheap. Those soft skill workshops don't cost much and i don't know any local authorities offering cima/aca or masters funding on the first two years of the programme. Regarding the cheap labour point, afaik the ngdp salary is lower than both the national mean and median, so i guess relative to graduate schemes as a whole it is cheap labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would the Local Authority get us qualified as accountants? This is a Management scheme for for us to develop a range of skills over the 2 years. The ILM qualification is Masters equivalent and the LA provide excellent training opportunities which the private sector just cannot afford for staff right now. When it comes to pay, the minimum may be below the national average but it varies according to your LA. Certainly my wage is much higher than I ever expected for my first proper job. 50% of Local Government employees earn below £18k, so we are automatically above the sector average. I don't think the term 'cheap labour' bears any truth and is offensive to all of the talented graduates who are on the scheme.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Sent my application off at the weekend! There seems to be a relatively long wait this year, though, even if the deadline date is approximately the same.

Has anybody applied for the individual county council schemes yet? I've noticed Hertfordshire have opened their application process. Are there any more open applications out there at the moment?
Hi all, a few of us currently on the scheme have set up a Facebook Group to answer any questions you may have. You can find it here:

National Graduate Development Programme (NGDP)

It's run by current NMTs, so any comments, thoughts or questions are welcome, after all, we have been through the application process ourselves!
Original post by netprime
Hi all, a few of us currently on the scheme have set up a Facebook Group to answer any questions you may have. You can find it here:

National Graduate Development Programme (NGDP)

It's run by current NMTs, so any comments, thoughts or questions are welcome, after all, we have been through the application process ourselves!

Hello, I'm hoping to apply to the scheme, however I don't have any directly relevant experience. From your knowledge, are successful candidates those that can show how they've engaged with local governments etc? Thanks in advance.
Original post by 09034958349053
Just finishing off my application now.

Struggling with "In up to 500 words, please describe why you are committed to working specifically in local government as oppose to other parts of the public sector".

Honest answer 1 - I'm desperate for a job and would happily work in either central or local government. :biggrin:

Honest answer 2 - I've been spat out by the Fast Stream

Yeah, I found that the most tricky part too, though I managed to get to 450 words. I mainly talked about the role of local government in the community. Good luck!

I just submitted my application. Even though I think I made a decent attempt, statistically the odds aren't too favourable (if there's only 50ish places nationwide).
Theres alot to be said in terms of:

Soft skills
Commitment
Determination
Initiative
Knowledge
Awareness
Team Working
Team Workings
Can anybody advise me on the length of time the whole application process takes, through to local authority interviews? I'm planning on going travelling this year as part of my year off, but obviously don't want to be abroad when important assessments or interviews are taking place. I've gathered from this thread that dates can be variable, and information not particularly forthcoming.
Anyone else having problems with the NGDP server?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending