Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NGDP

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the written assessment might involve? I'm going to Sheffield
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found this on the NGDP website, in the 'Join the NGDP' section:

"Stage 1 comprises an analysis exercise. In analysis exercises, participants are presented with a large amount of information, both verbal and numerical, about a specific work-related situation. It is presented in a variety of formats including text, tables and graphs. The participant is required to analyse the data in order to produce a written report detailing his/her conclusions and recommendations."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have got through to assessment centre too. Taken a Birmingham afternoon appointment because I've been ill this week and couldn't get online, all the London ones were unfortunately already full. Xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm on the Sheffield afternoon assessment

Does anyone know how complex the numerical information will be (maths is not my strong point!), just wondering f there's any basic maths we need to do to prepare?

Good luck everyone
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I was just thinking if anyone else is heading to the Sheffield afternoon assessment it might be worth getting a coffee before it. Be good to see a friendly face before we get there!

Either way, good luck everyone
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmy-miles)
    Hi guys,

I was just thinking if anyone else is heading to the Sheffield afternoon assessment it might be worth getting a coffee before it. Be good to see a friendly face before we get there!

Either way, good luck everyone

Good idea would be nice to meet other people before we do the assessment!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So where are people heading in from? I'm coming from Salford but plan on getting there with ample time to spare! Obviously, it'd be very relaxing to walk into the centre with company then be greeted by a sea of blank faces. Though this could just be my random logic
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming from Manchester, will probably aim to get there for 11.30ish if it starts at half 12.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CP1705)
    I'm coming from Manchester, will probably aim to get there for 11.30ish if it starts at half 12.
    My email says that it starts at 13:30. You have me marginally concerned now! I'm thinking of getting to Sheffield for around 12, look around the city briefly and make it to the venue for 13:00. I imagine there will be a Costa/Nero near by, so getting a caffeine hit shouldn't be problematical.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the Birmingham afternoon session - yeah mine says 1.30pm too, so slightly concerned as well. Will probably also aim for 12.30pm.
    CP1705 - I applied for this last year and got to this stage - there really isn't anything you can do to prepare. Just try not to run out of time majorly like I did last year (spent to long reading the material, not enough time writing). I don't remember the numerical bit being to complex (and I hate maths too), and there isn't that much time for lots of calculations anyway.

On the link for directions, it says there is a free shuttle bus from Birmingham Int station, anyone know about this?... Or do people fancy clubbing together to get a taxi to the hotel (since £8 is kind of expensive!).

good luck!

xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebecca1777)
    I'm on the Birmingham afternoon session - yeah mine says 1.30pm too, so slightly concerned as well. Will probably also aim for 12.30pm.
    CP1705 - I applied for this last year and got to this stage - there really isn't anything you can do to prepare. Just try not to run out of time majorly like I did last year (spent to long reading the material, not enough time writing). I don't remember the numerical bit being to complex (and I hate maths too), and there isn't that much time for lots of calculations anyway.

On the link for directions, it says there is a free shuttle bus from Birmingham Int station, anyone know about this?... Or do people fancy clubbing together to get a taxi to the hotel (since £8 is kind of expensive!).

good luck!

xx
    Having used the West Coast Mainline a lot traveling through Birmingham I am pretty sure that Birmingham Int. station is the airport one. So I'd assume they are expecting people to arrive by train. Though I could be way out on that. What I would say is if you use traveline.info with postcodes it should help, but I have always found it to be a bit clunky for want of a better term.

Hope that helps to some extent
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the link for directions, it says there is a free shuttle bus from Birmingham Int station, anyone know about this?
    I was wondering that too so I gave the hotel a call and they said that the shuttle runs each hour between 11 and 1. I think there might also be a bus you can get, although I just got a copy of the travel expenses form and it doesn't say anything about not being able to claim back for taxi journeys.

Timmy, the station looks like it could be a long walk from the venue so getting to the station by train is ok, it's the next bit that's the problem.

Does anyone know what sort of dress code the assessment centre will be? I don't know how smart it will be considering it's only a written exercise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_567)
    I was wondering that too so I gave the hotel a call and they said that the shuttle runs each hour between 11 and 1. I think there might also be a bus you can get, although I just got a copy of the travel expenses form and it doesn't say anything about not being able to claim back for taxi journeys.

Timmy, the station looks like it could be a long walk from the venue so getting to the station by train is ok, it's the next bit that's the problem.

Does anyone know what sort of dress code the assessment centre will be? I don't know how smart it will be considering it's only a written exercise.
    Oh okay, I guess I'll aim to get to the station just before 12 then, if the shuttle runs every hour, and seeing as registration opens 45 mins before. I'll probably get a bus/taxi back if the shuttle only runs till 1. Yes, hopefully we can claim taxi fairs back- never had a receipt from a taxi though so I don't know if that would work.

Well, from last year there were some people dressed smart, and some dressed more casual. So its up to you. I personally wouldn't feel right not going smart.

xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, I guess I'll aim to get to the station just before 12 then, if the shuttle runs every hour, and seeing as registration opens 45 mins before. I'll probably get a bus/taxi back if the shuttle only runs till 1. Yes, hopefully we can claim taxi fairs back- never had a receipt from a taxi though so I don't know if that would work.

Hi again guys, that's where the website I linked to comes in useful. For the trains use nationalrail.co.uk and then for the buses use traveline.info. Traveline has uptodate timetables for all public transport, but I find nationalrail easier to use for the train aspect. Oh and Rebecca most of the time if you ask the taxi driver they will give you a receipt. Though if you don't feel comfortable doing that using busses makes claiming the expenses a lot easier.

Hope those little side points help somewhat
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Well, from last year there were some people dressed smart, and some dressed more casual. So its up to you. I personally wouldn't feel right not going smart.

xx
    I think the woman I spoke to said that the shuttle starts running again every half hour after 3, but I expect we can find out more from the hotel when we're there. Thanks for the advice about the dress code.

(Original post by timmy-miles)
    Hi again guys, that's where the website I linked to comes in useful. For the trains use nationalrail.co.uk and then for the buses use traveline.info. Traveline has uptodate timetables for all public transport, but I find nationalrail easier to use for the train aspect. Oh and Rebecca most of the time if you ask the taxi driver they will give you a receipt. Though if you don't feel comfortable doing that using busses makes claiming the expenses a lot easier.

Hope those little side points help somewhat
    Thanks

Good luck to everyone who'll be at the assessment tomorrow!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Yes- I searched for the hotel, and found that it does say that it runs every half hour after 3.

Good luck to you as well!

xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm in the Sheffield AM one on Wednesday. I emailed the NGDP support about the dress code and they said to dress smart casual, hope that helps!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    London afternoon session, this Friday.

Dreading this. haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnaalpha)
    London afternoon session, this Friday.

Dreading this. haha
    Same! see you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshcott)
    Same! see you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I'm trying to get an idea of what we're going to have to do, but the more I find out the worse it sounds. Just have to see how it goes I guess!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 24, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.