NGDP

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebecca1777)
    I applied for this last year and got to this stage - there really isn't anything you can do to prepare. Just try not to run out of time majorly like I did last year (spent to long reading the material, not enough time writing). I don't remember the numerical bit being to complex (and I hate maths too), and there isn't that much time for lots of calculations anyway.
    So how much time do people reckon is the best balance for reading the information, planning and time left for writing?

Long time lurker here, by the way. Hello! I'm off to the Sheffield assessment tomorrow afternoon, coming from Edinburgh. Will probably head to the art gallery after!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So how did everyone feel their assessment went?
    I have no idea. Ran out of time and had to really rush the last bit

Did they say when we should hear back by?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I ran out of time too spent way too long reading the info and trying to work out what to write for the project plan. I think we hear at the end of March, fingers crossed I think it's quite hard to tell how you've done..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone has run out of time, which (to be perfectly honest) is quite the relief! I assume that we are being assessed more on how we actually comprehend the data and then present it than actually doing a full report. I emailed them and they linked me to the website which gives the full timescales: http://www.local.gov.uk/web/ngdp/join-ngdp. So whilst I feel a little daft now emailing them about information that is easily found on the website at least I can share it with you guys and spare anyone else the same blushes!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmy-miles)
    I think everyone has run out of time, which (to be perfectly honest) is quite the relief! I assume that we are being assessed more on how we actually comprehend the data and then present it than actually doing a full report. I emailed them and they linked me to the website which gives the full timescales: http://www.local.gov.uk/web/ngdp/join-ngdp. So whilst I feel a little daft now emailing them about information that is easily found on the website at least I can share it with you guys and spare anyone else the same blushes!
    Yeah it's a relief to know I'm not the only one!

And I also contacted them haha. They told me it'd be the last week of March/first week of April

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone! Just to offer a little from my experience - last year I called my parents as soon as I got out, told them I'd blown it - hadn't even finished the exam and I can't believe I wasted a day in London so close to my dissertation hand in deadline! And now I'm on the scheme...

So try not to worry
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veggie4life)
    Good luck everyone! Just to offer a little from my experience - last year I called my parents as soon as I got out, told them I'd blown it - hadn't even finished the exam and I can't believe I wasted a day in London so close to my dissertation hand in deadline! And now I'm on the scheme...

So try not to worry
    That's reassuring! I called my mum in a bit of a panic afterwards too.

Fingers crossed. I just hate the waiting!

How's the scheme going so far? Hope you're enjoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshcott)
    That's reassuring! I called my mum in a bit of a panic afterwards too.

Fingers crossed. I just hate the waiting!

How's the scheme going so far? Hope you're enjoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The waiting is the worst bit but it'll all happen quite quickly after this part Reading are setting up their interviews for the final stage at the moment - 20th June!

I haven't dropped out yet We've all just changing over to second placements at the moment so it's all change! I really do love the scheme - it's the only grad job I applied for and it's definitely lived up to its expectations I had for it - It's such an odd scheme though in that it's so locally managed so the experience of NMTs varies so widely - chatting to previous NMTs at the info days and using the forum afterwards will give you a flavour though so you find a council that's right for you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got through!!! Anyone else heard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshcott)
    I got through!!! Anyone else heard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep booked in for the 14th april afternoon. Not sure what we should be preparing..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veggie4life)
    The waiting is the worst bit but it'll all happen quite quickly after this part Reading are setting up their interviews for the final stage at the moment - 20th June!

I haven't dropped out yet We've all just changing over to second placements at the moment so it's all change! I really do love the scheme - it's the only grad job I applied for and it's definitely lived up to its expectations I had for it - It's such an odd scheme though in that it's so locally managed so the experience of NMTs varies so widely - chatting to previous NMTs at the info days and using the forum afterwards will give you a flavour though so you find a council that's right for you
    Thank you for all the useful info you've posted so far. I was wondering whether you might have any tips on the next assessment centre as I have just heard tht I'm through to it. Also do you happen to know how likely we are to be offered a place if we succeed at this assessment centre..?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkyGuy)
    Yep booked in for the 14th april afternoon. Not sure what we should be preparing..
    Ah I'm the 15th in the afternoon
    Yeah I wish we had a little bit more info too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Congratualtions on getting through to the next stage if you have. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear!
    I also joined the scheme last year and it was the best decision I ever made.

Veg is right when he says it's such an odd scheme in that everyone's experience differs massively from council to council. It is however great fun and you'll meet some amazing people & learn more than you thought possible in such a tiny space of time (whether its what you should be doing or things that need to change ASAP)

In terms of the next assessment centre, there isn't really a whole lot of preperation you can do for it. Just go at it the best you can, coffee before hand is probably a good idea. And as cliche as it sounds; just be yourself and enjoy it. Good luck! And I hope to see all of you at the information days!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm also through to the second assessment center . I didn't get to this stage last year, so really happy about that, although kind of surprised.
    I'm booked onto the 11th 1.15pm session.
    I don't know where I got this from... but I heard that the individual briefing is a presentation based on what you wrote for the previous assessment center. I hope that this isn't the case, as I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really remember much of what I wrote
    good luck to everyone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I attained the assessment centre in Sheffield on the 12th March 2014, just wondering if anybody who also attained has heard whether or not they are through to the next stage of recruitment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also attended the Sheffield assessment and I am yet to hear back... I'm guessing we could hear from them anytime soon, Fingers crossed
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm also through to the second assessment center . I didn't get to this stage last year, so really happy about that, although kind of surprised.
    I'm booked onto the 11th 1.15pm session.
    I don't know where I got this from... but I heard that the individual briefing is a presentation based on what you wrote for the previous assessment center. I hope that this isn't the case, as I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really remember much of what I wrote
    good luck to everyone.
    Oh man.. I really hope that's not true as I have absolutely no idea what I wrote! The whole thing is a blur!

Also, hope you guys that attended the Sheffield one hear back soon! We/I did hear back earlier than they originally planned so I wouldn't worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To those that have had theirs already.. How are people finding the second stage assessments?

Mine is on Tuesday. Dreading it!

Good luck to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought it went alright.... it could of gone better, but then again it could also have gone a lot worse!.

Does anyone know when we will hear back?

xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought it went alright.... it could of gone better, but then again it could also have gone a lot worse!.

Does anyone know when we will hear back?

xx
    Yeah I feel the same about mine. Half of it went well I think but not sure about the other half. Could have gone better but who knows.

No, I'm not sure when we find out. I should've asked. Wouldn't have thought it'd take too long as the first one only took them two weeks and there was much more marking to do.

Guess it also depends on when the local authorities have a deadline to sign up for it so they know how many they can take to interviews?

I hate the waiting period so much haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 24, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.