The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hey,
I am to:smile: Try not to work yourself up about. Saying that I am a tad anxious. Just want to see what it will entail!
Thank you Chris for all the helpful tips and pointers! I feel a bit better about it now! :-)

Only a week to go! :-s
Original post by la88
Hey,
I am to:smile: Try not to work yourself up about. Saying that I am a tad anxious. Just want to see what it will entail!

How much prep have u done?I'm mostly nervous about the report writing as I'm rather out of practice! hopefully see you down there, good luck!
Reply 123
Hey,
I've really just been keeping up with the news, reading big society bills and trying to think about what they're looking for at the ac. I know someone
Whose on a grad scheme for a construction company and her group activity was about surviving on a desert island so I have no idea what will happen :smile: quite exciting though. How about you? Have you done much prep? See you tomorrow :smile:
Reply 124
O ANd don't worry about report writing. I did a history degree and have never done it before!
Reply 125
Original post by Jimbo23
Wondered why I hadn't heard anything yet. I got an e-mail earlier saying that I'd been rejected at the application stage - in spite of considerable work experience and a Masters in politics. Never mind.

You and me both, never-mind - I don't think they were able to cope with the amount of applications they received, or perhaps they thought we were too experienced for a graduate scheme?
Reply 126
went to an AC this week, it was very very interesting, I was the only person still @ university all the rest, were either working in LG or 3rd sector.

Should be interesting...
I'm in the same situation as you - I'm still at uni and was a bit nervous when I discovered other applicants had I'm going to the AC in Birmingham on Tuesday. How did you find the AC? Hope it went well!
Reply 128
I'm thinking of applying for this graduate scheme in September/October this year does anyone have any advice on what they've found the people running it are looking for? I'm doing an internship with my local council (well their regeneration company but it comes under their auspices) this summer so I wonder if that'll help my prospects?
Original post by ajp100688
I'm thinking of applying for this graduate scheme in September/October this year does anyone have any advice on what they've found the people running it are looking for? I'm doing an internship with my local council (well their regeneration company but it comes under their auspices) this summer so I wonder if that'll help my prospects?

I think they very much look at competencies listed on the official website. I don't have any experience in local government at all, but I still managed to get a phone interview. I attended a presentation held by a trainee on the scheme and they made it clear that experience in local government is not required - an interest and knowledge in local government, along with good skills (e.g. teamwork, communication skills) seems to be what they're looking for.
Reply 130
Hey,

Had my a/c. Very challenging but it was somewhat an enjoyable day. The scheme are looking for all rounders and I'm not sure if direct experience is an advantage. Of course, it demonstrates great job motivation etc.
Regards to the application form, they are looking for the key competencies listed on the website. I did a bit of experience but nothing too much and actually hardly had any scope to talk about it. It's vital that you stay up to date with whats going on in national politics and how this is affecting local politics.
Original post by catpink
Hi there,

After the information session, i think my area preferences have changed. I am looking for midlands, london and southwest regions.

I am revising for the AC, yes i agree i don't really know where to look for information!

Clare

Clare - I think I was with you at the assessment centre today in your group! If so, it's weird that we ended up in the same group out of all the people in this forum, indeed out of all the people who applied!

On reflection I've decided I didn't do too badly - I think maybe I'm blocking all the bad bits out!! How did you think you did?
Alison:smile:
Reply 132
Original post by alidotcodotuk
Clare - I think I was with you at the assessment centre today in your group! If so, it's weird that we ended up in the same group out of all the people in this forum, indeed out of all the people who applied!

On reflection I've decided I didn't do too badly - I think maybe I'm blocking all the bad bits out!! How did you think you did?
Alison:smile:

Yeah we were in the same group! Hmm i think i did the best with the time we were given, could have done better with more time but hey! Good luck x
I applied for this back in January and got rejected for it - not even a phone interview. I was confused a wee bit as I think I fit all of the competencies listed - I have a good academic history (2:1 in Law, 1:1 in International Relations Masters) and have a litany of extra-curricular experience throughout and after uni. I have three years experience in service delivery and customer service so was slightly miffed that they didn't even offer me a phone interview.

I'm not too cut up about it as I've since been accepted on the Fast Stream - was just very confused as to what they're looking for in their application.
I am at the leeds one next week, any.advice guys? Good luck with ur application
Original post by livingston
I applied for this back in January and got rejected for it - not even a phone interview. I was confused a wee bit as I think I fit all of the competencies listed - I have a good academic history (2:1 in Law, 1:1 in International Relations Masters) and have a litany of extra-curricular experience throughout and after uni. I have three years experience in service delivery and customer service so was slightly miffed that they didn't even offer me a phone interview.

I'm not too cut up about it as I've since been accepted on the Fast Stream - was just very confused as to what they're looking for in their application.

Congratulations on being accepted on the Fast Stream. I hear the competition was tough. Do you know which departments you'll be working in?

In response to the earlier portion of your post, it's true that no recruitment system is perfect and sometimes it seems like a lottery. If I'm not mistaken, the NGDP outsource some of their recruitment stages to external agencies - so it might be the case that interpretation of application responses is very methodically done (which may be a good or a bad thing).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 136
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has been invited to assessment centres over the last few days?

I was told during the telephone interview that I would hear early March but have not yet recived an email either way. Ive called once a week for the last three weeks, they search on their system and reply each time that they are still considering my application and say I will hear by the end of that week, which hasn't been the case. Today they have said I should hear by the end of this week and not to worry that others have been to assessment centres already as they still have some ACs in April.

thoughts?

xxx
Hi avocado

same for me. I've called every week just to be told that it'll be next week "or so". Let's hope for the best...and let us know when you get a reply.

Tina
Reply 138
Was anyone on the Birmingham assessment day yesterday (23rd of March)?!
Reply 139
Original post by M14_tangerine
I am at the leeds one next week, any.advice guys? Good luck with ur application

Hi!! I don't want to give anything away but prepare yourself for a challenging day. Have a good breakfast and a nice night sleep. As stated in the email there were 4 exercises : analysis report, group, role play an presentation. Be prepared to be scrutinised And hold your ground. All the info you need will be given on te day so don't spend too much time preparing. Idid far too much and used about 1% of it. and there was no need to even use it!! The people running it be friendly and welcoming. I had a nice glass of wine waiting for me when i had finished. Was much needed :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending