The Student Room Group

Rewriting P.S (after applying)

This sounds odd but I really need help. I've been rejected by Leeds for Eng Lit and Lang but they are giving me the opportunity to apply for English and Linguistics with a revised P.S. I have written the P.S but now have no way of knowing if it fits the 47 lines, 4000 characters. (I can't copy and paste into apply because I've already applied).

Does anyone know a way to get the formatting, etc right in Word or somewhere else to see if it is the right length? I don't want someone in Admissions to copy and paste it into UCAS and for the bottom line to go missing.

Really hope this makes sense!!
Paste it into Notepad. Then click "view" then "status bar". It will tell you how many chars and how many lines.
Original post by Brown.Panther
Paste it into Notepad. Then click "view" then "status bar". It will tell you how many chars and how many lines.

And neither will be accurate. The line count will definitely be wrong because UCAS "lines" and notepad lines will be a different number of characters. The UCAS form has also been known to do strange things regarding character count, such as counting all the characters in a line even if you used half the line then went to a new paragraph.

@OP: Can't think of an ideal solution, but have you got any friends who haven't sent their application yet? Maybe you could put your revised PS into their form just to check the character/line count.
Reply 3
Original post by Potally_Tissed
And neither will be accurate. The line count will definitely be wrong because UCAS "lines" and notepad lines will be a different number of characters. The UCAS form has also been known to do strange things regarding character count, such as counting all the characters in a line even if you used half the line then went to a new paragraph.

@OP: Can't think of an ideal solution, but have you got any friends who haven't sent their application yet? Maybe you could put your revised PS into their form just to check the character/line count.

Hey thank you for the reply. I keep trying to format it in Word and it's impossible!! I don't know anyone who hasn't sent it off. Might just have to take a good guess - I can work it out roughly - and hope for the best :s-smilie:
Original post by Alexandra289
Hey thank you for the reply. I keep trying to format it in Word and it's impossible!! I don't know anyone who hasn't sent it off. Might just have to take a good guess - I can work it out roughly - and hope for the best :s-smilie:

You could play it safe and be well under the character limit. If you're under by about 10% I'd guess you would be fine, just don't go right to the limit.
Phone the uni and ask them about this problem? Perhaps they won't mind line limit if the character limit is fine in this situation. Doubt it though but they should be able to give you help on how to do it.
Reply 6
google character counter then paste it in there and it should tell you

http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/charcount.shtml
Reply 7
As you're not submitting it through UCAS it should be ok. Play it safe if you want; check the characters in Word and don't go over 3,900.
Reply 8
Thank you for all the advise!
Reply 9
Original post by Alexandra289
This sounds odd but I really need help. I've been rejected by Leeds for Eng Lit and Lang but they are giving me the opportunity to apply for English and Linguistics with a revised P.S. I have written the P.S but now have no way of knowing if it fits the 47 lines, 4000 characters. (I can't copy and paste into apply because I've already applied).

Does anyone know a way to get the formatting, etc right in Word or somewhere else to see if it is the right length? I don't want someone in Admissions to copy and paste it into UCAS and for the bottom line to go missing.

Really hope this makes sense!!

Get one of your friends who hasn't applied and plug it into theirs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending