The Student Room Group

less inteligent then people believe?

is anyone else just constantly awaiting failure? recently, i've become highly disillusioned towards myself. People often assume i'm quite intelligent but i'm beginning to doubt myself. on paper, i appear intelligent. I came top of my school, albeit it is a fairly poor state school. At present I'm anticipating the beginning of my law course after a gap year. However, I dont feel my mental acuity is adequate. Sometimes I feel like my brain is a windows 95 processor in a windows vista world. I forget things frequently. I read profusely but it feels like all knowledge acquired dissipates within a day or so.

I don't exactly know the point of this thread...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheCount.
is anyone else just constantly awaiting failure? recently, i've become highly disillusioned towards myself. People often assume i'm quite intelligent but i'm beginning to doubt myself. on paper, i appear intelligent. I came top of my school, albeit it is a fairly poor state school. At present I'm anticipating the beginning of my law course after a gap year. However, I dont feel my mental acuity is adequate. Sometimes I feel like my brain is a windows 95 processor in a windows vista world. I forget things frequently. I read profusely but it feels like all knowledge acquired dissipates within a day or so.

I don't exactly know the point of this thread...

You spend a lot of time reading articles and other stuff on the Internet, don't you?

EDIT: I clicked reply so fast that I didn't notice the last sentence, which kind of proves my point. Instead of reading loads, read less with more focus on the article. Don't read several things at a time - you improve your multitasking skills, but at a cost in terms of memory and comprehension of the content.
(edited 13 years ago)
Knowledge is there to be kicked and attacked. Often we realise that our inner abilities are in doubt. That is purely in the mind. So at the end of the road, don't look both ways. Ignore the junction. Keep walking. It's easy once you pass go. From there, knowledge will mix with intelligence, and the mind will become so entwined that you will start to show physical effects too.
meh same here.

There's a certain level of intelligence that you need (which I assume you have given your top of your school) but after that hard work is the deciding factor.

Given the choice between a genius and someone quite clever but with amazing drive and dedication you should always bet on the latter.

At uni you can beat the people who have more natural talent than you by working harder and smarter. Most students are pretty **** at self discipline and motivation tbh, its not too hard.
Reply 4
No wonder you feel less intelligent, go for a Win7 world, not Vista...eugh lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Learn to spell intelligent. And I'll review your thread again later on.
:smile:
Original post by DuperSuper
Learn to spell intelligent. And I'll review your thread again later on.
:smile:

You're sentence contains a grammatical error. :ahee:
Reply 7
I created the thread from my phone. It was a mere typo. I'm well aware intelligent has two 'Ls'. Stop being pedantic.
I created the thread from my phone. It was a mere typo. I'm well aware intelligent has two 'Ls'. Stop being pedantic.

I think you mean: "Stop TRYING to be pedantic" :smile:
Reply 9
"less inteligent then people believe?", then and than aren't interchangeable?
Reply 10
Original post by That username is in use!
You spend a lot of time reading articles and other stuff on the Internet, don't you?

EDIT: I clicked reply so fast that I didn't notice the last sentence, which kind of proves my point. Instead of reading loads, read less with more focus on the article. Don't read several things at a time - you improve your multitasking skills, but at a cost in terms of memory and comprehension of the content.

Not internet articles, no. But i do read the economist. Quite advanced articles which I understand whilst reading but probably don't allow enough time for the information to sink in before beginning the next article.
Reply 11
Original post by CountMancula

Wait is that sarcasm? I mean I am sure you're aware of the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE? Hand on ears, that was a deliberate mistake. :lolz:
Reply 12

Ouch, so does yours. Vicious cycle.

FYI: your, not you're
Reply 13
If your spelling is anything to go by then you're f***ing retarded.
Reply 14
I think you mean: "Stop TRYING to be pedantic" :smile:

No, I don't
No, I don't

God, you're boring.
Reply 16
Original post by Einheri
If your spelling is anything to go by then you're f***ing retarded.

Already discussed the omitted L. Catch up you vacuous prick.
Original post by DuperSuper
Wait is that sarcasm? I mean I am sure you're aware of the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE? Hand on ears, that was a deliberate mistake. :lolz:

OK, I tried to look cool and failed.
You're = you are. :frown:
Reply 18
God, you're boring.

God, you're annoying.
Don't see intelligence as a certain level. Instead, see intelligence as something that you improve over time, as it is not just one static value.

Generally the most successful people see intelligence like this. Coincidence? Certainly not.

Read the book "talent is overrated"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending