The Student Room Group

Why is professional Britain so white and middle-class? Where are the kids I taught?

Scroll to see replies

This country has always opportunities to the white middle class, then comes the white working class and last in line are the non whites. When it comes to equal opportunities this country really ***** up. There is all this hype this country has made progress when it comes to giving opportunities to non whites ut the fact the matter is discrimination still exists in this so called "Great" British country!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by crackedskull
This country has always opportunities to the white middle class, then comes the white working class and last in line are the non whites. When it comes to equal opportunities this country really ***** up. There is all this hype this country has made progress when it comes to giving opportunities to non whites ut the fact the matter is discrimination still exists in this so called "Great" British country!

Go on, tell me. Which one is it?

Benefits?

Healthcare?

Or education?
"Why is professional Britain so middle-class?" Isn't that tautologous?
Because Britain is 92.1% white.
Reply 5
I work in central London and commute every day with professionals and I would say it's an even mix of races. I am white middle-class but have felt a few times that I am a minority race on the tube. I think the range of different races amongst working professionals is pretty high in London.
Reply 6
Derby uni, lots of saudi's in my lectuers although i've never heard them utter a word of english :s-smilie:
Professional jobs are reserved for the white middle classes

The person who wrote this article is a bit quick to play the discrimination card. What if middle-class whites get a better education and/or are more motivated to be successful hence are actual more employable for these office jobs?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by morecambebay
Go on, tell me. Which one is it?

Benefits?

Healthcare?

Or education?

Including jobs.

In terms of benefits poor white working class Brits are always ahead in line of poor non white working Brits. Healthcare is the same, treatment is given to white Brits ahead of non white Brits. On education poor non white Brits are being put in schools with poor performance and first choices of school is given priority to white middle and woking class Brits. Jobs, well don't even get me started on that one.
UCL, Imperial and LSE are filled with south asian, oriental and arab students :yep:
Including jobs.

In terms of benefits poor white working class Brits are always ahead in line of poor non white working Brits. Healthcare is the same, treatment is given to white Brits ahead of non white Brits. On education poor non white Brits are being put in schools with poor performance and first choices of school is given priority to white middle and woking class Brits. Jobs, well don't even get me started on that one.

Yeah, sure.
Original post by morecambebay
Yeah, sure.

Yep do what this country has always done when the issue of discrimination of racism is raised, brush it under the carpet. rolleyes:
Reply 12
My university (University of Leeds) is quite diverse in terms of race, although I think that is due largely to international students. It is the working class of Britain (of all races) who seem to be massively under-represented here. I'm not sure it is a race issue, but a class issue.
The Saxons were discriminated against, as were the Britons before them. The laws and practices are established by the rulers of the island, and that has always been and probably always will be whites. That seems logical enough to me.
Reply 14
Yep do what this country has always done when the issue of discrimination of racism is raised, brush it under the carpet. rolleyes:

Oh look, it's Atjiesto's new account. Back for more, eh?
Reply 15

Judging especially from your singature, you are what we know as: a ****.
Well I'm guessing that the uni population is largely white because 90% of the whole population is white. Some ethnic minorities seem to forget this.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Teveth
I'm not sure it is a race issue, but a class issue.

This.
Stupid article. I agree that Britain is quite classist but the blog is just "soo....I walked into some offices and I saw some white people" and "a kid I taught works at an airport". No statistics just anecdotal crap.
This is the equivalent of a Daily Mail journalist writing "soo... I went to Luton yesterday and there were lots of asians and then I went to the job centre and there were lots of whites".
-_-
Reply 19
I'm not entirely sure how true this is. I think in percentage terms, the diversity in the city (from my experience) is relatively fair.
edit: city refers to London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending