The Student Room Group

Why is professional Britain so white and middle-class? Where are the kids I taught?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why is the security at Heathrow so non-white and working-class? :colone:
Original post by crackedskull
Including jobs.

In terms of benefits poor white working class Brits are always ahead in line of poor non white working Brits. Healthcare is the same, treatment is given to white Brits ahead of non white Brits. On education poor non white Brits are being put in schools with poor performance and first choices of school is given priority to white middle and woking class Brits. Jobs, well don't even get me started on that one.

So much evidence, hooray for empiricism and statistical analysis!
Wait wha...
Reply 22
No statistics, no evidence, offensive, innacurate, displaying a huge lack of social understanding (middle class AND public schooled? Are you sure?) and generally very poorly written with no identifiable sections and no specific aim.

The article is so bad that the mind could be forgiven for boggling over why it has even been published. The writer can certainly consider herself extremely lucky to have been given such a platform. Clearly at least one "black, brown or east Asian" person is being given opportunities in this country, apparently completely regardless of her ability (or lack thereof). Irony, don't you just love it.
Reply 23

Most of Britain is white you dolt
Reply 24
What! The professions are mixed - medicine, law, dentistry and so on have a way above average proportion of minorities.
Original post by Beleg Cuthalion
Because Britain is 92.1% white.

85.67% according to Wikipedia but a good answer and probably the right one.
Go on, tell me. Which one is it?

Benefits?

Healthcare?

Or education?

Healthcare.

There was some research, and it was found that white people are much more likely to be given life saving treatment for diabetes (or another illness, I can't quite remember) than asians and blacks :sadnod:

Not that this has anything to do with job prospects, but you did ask...
(edited 13 years ago)
Who cares
Reply 28
Original post by Panda Vinnie
UCL, Imperial and LSE are filled with south asian, oriental and arab students :yep:

Add Cambridge to that list. I felt like I should know how to speak Mandarin when I first arrived. :p:
People's success shouldn't be determined by their race. If more professionals are white, then that's either a coincidence or its due to most of the population being white. There's nothing wrong with it, its unfair to say "there are too many white professional people", if I said that about another race then I'd get lynched!
We need to move beyond political correctness and just allow everyone to have equal opportunities without labelling them like we do in this current age. Success should go to the most skilled, race is irrelevant. All races deserve the same opportunity to be a success, but discriminating against white people is not equality.

As for the class issue, well, being middle class is pretty much a result of being a professional. Its pretty much a definition of it.
Reply 30
I go Birmingham. I'm really not sure about the proportion of minorities-there seem to be quite a few (i'd estimate off the top of my head maybe 30-35%???) but a lot of those would be International Students so i don't think would really count in the context of the article?
I might be totally off with my estimation btw but all i can say is that there's a sizable amount but definitely less than half of the total amount of Students and definitely less diverse than the city of Birmingham as a whole...

Wouldn't say i agree with the general jist of the article btw.
Reply 31
Original post by Aj12
Most of Britain is white you dolt

Duh I know that, Im white myself but not if you live in London :tongue:!
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
85.67% according to Wikipedia but a good answer and probably the right one.

Oh lol, I looked at Wikipedia too. Maybe the higher percentage is including Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending