The Student Room Group

has anyone got onto a course with grades below the asking? If so how much less?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Today's competitive world? People were getting rejected two or three years ago despite meeting requirements too, you know. It's not a new phenomenon.
Reply 21
The course I am doing required that I achieve 300 UCAS points to get onto it.

I only have 150.
Reply 22
Original post by georgia
Today's competitive world? People were getting rejected two or three years ago despite meeting requirements too, you know. It's not a new phenomenon.

No it isn't, but many Universities have considerably cranked up their entry requirements in the last 1-3 years as a response to the growing number of students applying - so there is little to no room for leniency unless you're doing an unpopular course
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Oven
The course I am doing required that I achieve 300 UCAS points to get onto it.

I only have 150.

Thats just ridiculous. What course and where?
Reply 24
RHUL the requirement was BBB
Kent it was BBC

I got CCC :yy:
Reply 25
I for one do not understand uni's who reject people that meet entry requirements or are above them, and keep people who don't... :lolwut:
Reply 26
My brother got onto Aberdeen Economics, required CCC, he got DCC
Original post by Danz123
I for one do not understand uni's who reject people that meet entry requirements or are above them, and keep people who don't... :lolwut:

Sometimes there's more to uni applications than merely meeting the grade requirements :ninja:
Reply 28
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sometimes there's more to uni applications than merely meeting the grade requirements :ninja:

That's true, but why would uni's even have entry requirements if they don't stick to them, or at least let people in who meet them, and a few who don't.

I thought getting the grades was an important part of an application? :confused:
Reply 29
Original post by Danz123
That's true, but why would uni's even have entry requirements if they don't stick to them, or at least let people in who meet them, and a few who don't.

I thought getting the grades was an important part of an application? :confused:

Maybe they can see the applicant has talent or is capable in the subject, and puts them missing the grades down to them just messing up exams or whatever.

A-Levels really weren't for me, I was doing 1 that I actually enjoyed and 2 that I absolutley hated and was rubbish at (Maths and Classics :s-smilie:). And this caused me to hate college and A-levels, as a result my better A-level also suffered, I got a C when I should of been aiming for an A, that was in Graphics Design.

Well i'm currently on an Art & Design Foundation, really enjoying it and working so much better, hoping for really strong marks.
Currently applying to University hoping that my poor A-Levels won't hold me back, because I know i'm capable.
Original post by Danz123

Unis have entry requirements as one means of selecting candidates and perhaps also as a means of filtering out unsuitable candidates or allowing candidates to self-select, etc. For example, the fact that I was **** at Chemistry means I didn't do it at AS/A2. A Medicine course requires scientific ability and an understanding of Chemistry, thus I wouldn't be suited to a Medicine course. The requirement of almost all medical schools to have Chemistry at A Level thus would have indicated to me (had I not figured it out long ago :biggrin: ) that I am not suited to a career as a medical practitioner and would have stopped me had I been deluded enough to think I was :biggrin:

Getting the grades is important, don't get me wrong. It's not the only thing unis have to go by, though, and those other things can come in quite important. Not getting the grades doesn't automatically mean that a student isn't cut out for their prospective uni course and the decision to take a student in after they miss their grades will often be made on a case-by-case basis. There are rarely hard and fast rules, though some departments and unis are more lenient than others.

The fact is that when you're first applying to unis, you're setting out to make an impression. If they make you an offer, you've made an impression. If you miss the grades, the person who does the decision-making has to decide how strong that initial impression was and whether the inability to make the grades changes that and if so, how much. Those who make the grades but don't receive an offer in the first place clearly either haven't made a good enough impression or have just been extremely unfortunate (luck is always involved).

I'm not advocating missing grades, btw. It's so bad for stress levels :yes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Cll_ws
Maybe they can see the applicant has talent or is capable in the subject, and puts them missing the grades down to them just messing up exams or whatever.

A-Levels really weren't for me, I was doing 1 that I actually enjoyed and 2 that I absolutley hated and was rubbish at (Maths and Classics :s-smilie:). And this caused me to hate college and A-levels, as a result my better A-level also suffered, I got a C when I should of been aiming for an A, that was in Graphics Design.

Well i'm currently on an Art & Design Foundation, really enjoying it and working so much better, hoping for really strong marks.
Currently applying to University hoping that my poor A-Levels won't hold me back, because I know i'm capable.

That's good, and I hope you get into the uni you want. I did say in my post that uni's should lower requirements for people who are capable, but they may have messed up in exams like you said.

Also, I'm just saying that it's weird for universities to reject people who meet requirements, given everywhere else in their application is decent, they never messed up interview, etc, as these people have shown that they're capable also.
Reply 32
Original post by Kimbo99
Hi,

Basically all explained in the title. I'm just curious how many people out there got into uni with grades below the asking grades and whats the most grades below the asking offer someone got into uni with. Sorry if that sounded a bit confusing

I needed 300 points and i got 260, but i did really well in the subject i was going to study, much better than my other subjects that were pretty much inrelated to geography. Also they often take into account where you're coming from, e.g crappy f.e college with a low pass rate and private prep boarding school one of the best in the country, if you do badly attending the latter they would be less likely to accept you from what i've heard.
f.y.i I went to a crappy f.e college :smile:
Original post by Danz123
Also, I'm just saying that it's weird for universities to reject people who meet requirements, given everywhere else in their application is decent, they never messed up interview, etc, as these people have shown that they're capable also.

Well if we think about this logically/chronologically for a moment. Once you've rejected someone, you've rejected them (for whatever reason). If you've accepted someone and made them a conditional offer, you're expecting them to get the grades you stipulate. If that person misses their grades (for whatever reason), you can't then ring up someone who you previously rejected and go "hi, remember us? Well you didn't cut it the first time round but someone missed their grades and there's now space for you: wanna come?", can you? :nah:
Reply 34
Original post by Danz123

I agree to an extent yeah. Unless its due to limited space on the course, the strongest applicants shouldn't have anything to worry about. Although the only reasons I can think of why they would be rejected is if another persons personal statement was maybe slightly stronger. I have heard of people being unfairly rejected though with rubbish reasons given by the Uni's, such as "We needed to make our decision quickly", awful reason! ha

I wouldn't at all be shocked if I was rejected from a course due to them selecting an applicant with incredible A-Levels.
But i'd at least hope to get interviews to show them what I can do, i'd feel very hard done by if they judged my artistic talent on my A-level results, I know where I went wrong and feel completely awful about it :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
3 grades lower.

Offer was ABC, i got BCD :cool:

Offers are as they are for a reason though. I dropped out after a year so they probs regret letting me in :tongue:
i did... but hull are a very flexible uni to be fair! and they were the only ones to offer me a place based on ucas points instead of grades anyway :smile:
Reply 37
Unis have entry requirements as one means of selecting candidates and perhaps also as a means of filtering out unsuitable candidates or allowing candidates to self-select, etc. For example, the fact that I was **** at Chemistry means I didn't do it at AS/A2. A Medicine course requires scientific ability and an understanding of Chemistry, thus I wouldn't be suited to a Medicine course. The requirement of almost all medical schools to have Chemistry at A Level thus would have indicated to me (had I not figured it out long ago :biggrin: ) that I am not suited to a career as a medical practitioner and would have stopped me had I been deluded enough to think I was :biggrin:

Getting the grades is important, don't get me wrong. It's not the only thing unis have to go by, though, and those other things can come in quite important. Not getting the grades doesn't automatically mean that a student isn't cut out for their prospective uni course and the decision to take a student in after they miss their grades will often be made on a case-by-case basis. There are rarely hard and fast rules, though some departments and unis are more lenient than others.

The fact is that when you're first applying to unis, you're setting out to make an impression. If they make you an offer, you've made an impression. If you miss the grades, the person who does the decision-making has to decide how strong that initial impression was and whether the inability to make the grades changes that and if so, how much. Those who make the grades but don't receive an offer in the first place clearly either haven't made a good enough impression or have just been extremely unfortunate (luck is always involved).

I'm not advocating missing grades, btw. It's so bad for stress levels :yes:

I do see what you're saying, and trust me, as a guy retaking AS year currently, next year stress levels will be very high when I send off applications.

I just hope I'm not enormously unfortunate if I meet the grades, and make a good enough impression, then still don't get in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
Well if we think about this logically/chronologically for a moment. Once you've rejected someone, you've rejected them (for whatever reason). If you've accepted someone and made them a conditional offer, you're expecting them to get the grades you stipulate. If that person misses their grades (for whatever reason), you can't then ring up someone who you previously rejected and go "hi, remember us? Well you didn't cut it the first time round but someone missed their grades and there's now space for you: wanna come?", can you? :nah:

Fine, so the uni will have to either reject or take the person they gave an offer to, and can't take on the person who was rejected. Your post however, does not argue against my point that it is weird for a uni to reject said person in the first place, if they got the grades and everything else was decent in terms of their application. I suppose it also comes down to a little chance and luck.
Original post by Danz123
I do see what you're saying, and trust me, as a guy retaking AS year currently, next year stress levels will be very high when I send off applications.

I just hope I'm not enormously unfortunate if I meet the grades, and make a good enough impression, then still don't get in.

This is probs gonna come across as harsh but in a way, getting an offer is the definition of making a good enough impression. That's not to say if you don't get an offer you're no good: that would be ludicrous. As I said, luck is involved and competition for places statistically seems to only get higher and higher for many courses. That said though, getting an offer kinda means that you made a good enough impression to get a place over your competition (who may be good, solid applicants but didn't make a good enough impression to get that offer over you). I daresay all the people who didn't get the Oxford place I got went on to get straight As and that they were all strong applicants. They just didn't impress as much as me, that's all :colondollar:

In any case, lots of people end up very happy at their uni, even if it isn't the place they wanted to go to originally. I had friends who were dead-set on Oxford or Cambridge and went on to get straight As. They were quite upset by the rejections at the time and one friend did hold my offer against me for quite a while. Ask them now though whether they would rather have gone to Oxbridge over where they are now and I highly doubt they'd say yes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending