The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Living in Sheffield after graduation

Hi guys

I have just gained a job in South Yorkshire but I would like to live in Sheffield. has anyone got any recommendations for where to live and where to avoid in Sheffield. Nightlife is not a bother and I would like to know where the heavy student areas are, the graduate areas and the dire areas.

Cheers
Eccesall Road and all it's surroundings are heavy student areas. It's also an nice play to live just out of the city.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Yep! I'd avoid the very SE areas but none of it is that bad.
Reply 3
It's going to depend what your budget is.

Really nice areas are very very expensive (Dore, Whirlow,Totley) whereas the not so nice areas are dirt cheap.

Bits in the middle are probably places like Hillsborough and parts of Walkley.

I would avoid Pitsmoor, The Manor, Gleadless Estate and Firth Park.
Reply 4
Original post by donuticus
I would avoid Pitsmoor, The Manor, Gleadless Estate and Firth Park.

All this is generalising a bit because, in some cases, it depends on which part of the area you live in, whether you're local to the area in the first place and also (sadly) in some cases your ethnic/religious background.

But I'd add all of the quoted areas to avoid with the following: the areas running up City Road (Park Hill, Arbourthorne, etc), Jordanthorpe, Low Edges, Netherthorpe, Batemoor, Westfield, Darnall, Burngreave, Parsons Cross and Shirecliff.

Nice areas: if you're single and just after a flat most areas close to the city centre are OK and some places reasonably inexpensive, just avoid the estates and the areas close to the bottom of London Road. Kelham Island area is nice, lot's of good pubs and restaurants and close to the city, but part of it (not near the residential flats) form part of the red light district.

House wise, it depends on your budget and how far you want to be from the city centre/whether you want to be on a tram/bus routes, etc. As per the previous post: Dore, Whirlow, Totley (some areas) are nice but expensive, as is Ranmoor. Most (not all) of the areas around Crystal Peaks are nice (and on the tram route) and relatively inexpensive, Fulwood, Ecclesall, Crookes (but, as you'll probably be aware, horrendously expensive due to housing a large student population), Walkley, Mosborough.

I'm sure I can think of loads more nice/not so nice areas. Have a look around some estate agents and then ask. It's probably easier to tell you when you've identified some areas you want to live in :biggrin:

P.S. Sorry if I pissed anyone off who lives in any of those areas. For what it's worth I've lived all over Sheffield in my life, some of the areas I've listed as being nice and some of the areas I've listed as being of one's to avoid.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest