The Student Room Group

clothes to wear in dubai?

so i'm going on holiday to dubai, and was just wondering what type of clothes i could wear, as i've heard they are easily offended there! so what could i wear that will look nice and keep me cool and be respectful at the same time? links would be good as well! :smile: im female by the way.
also, if anyone has been to dubai, anything i should see?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Wear skinny jeans and a corset, just to have the streets washed by the jizz of a thousand horny men.

On a more serious note, just bagy stuff. Try not to reveal much skin. Don't think you have to cover your head tough, though I may be wrong.
Yes...You should go to Wild wadi park. You'll love it oh and visit shopping centres. have fun. I loved it there
Reply 5
just wear loose linen trousers and caftans etc:dontknow:
Reply 6
Make sure any girls you are with don't show even the slightest amount of cleavage. I'm talking not even the slightest hint of it. A high-necked t-shirt is probably the most revealing thing I'd recommend. We were only there for a matter of hours and my girlfriend was given the dirtiest of looks just because you were able to see a tiny amount. She may as well have been running about buck naked.
Reply 7
I went to Egypt where you are supposed to be quite covered up, but it was so hot! I recommend longish (knee length) dresses with a cardigan if it shows your shoulders. there are some flattering ones out there! (i normally hate long dresses :/)
Always carry around an emergency pair of opaque tights/leggings so if you feel uncomfortable you can just put them on under your skirt or whatever
hope this helps :smile:
your birthday suit :wink:
saying that you might get burnt in nasty places....

I dunno, when I went I just wore normal clothes, like shorts and nobody seemed to mind...
Reply 9
Original post by Rubbaduckzilla
Yes...You should go to Wild wadi park. You'll love it oh and visit shopping centres. have fun. I loved it there

yeah we've looked at that :] i'm excited, know dubai isn't everyones cup of tea but i'm looking forward to it!
Reply 10
Mankini.
Reply 11
Yeah loose linen trousers and kaftans is a good bet. Just make sure your shoulders and legs are covered in public places (and all the bits in between of course!)

Go for cotton to keep you cool. Maybe loose cotton tops and tunics. Have an awesome time!
Reply 12
Original post by Steevee
Wear skinny jeans and a corset, just to have the streets washed by the jizz of a thousand horny men.

:rofl: !!
Don't even joke, I was 13 when I went there with my family, and I remember feeling uncomfortable as I kept on getting eyed up by creepy men. Okay, I did look a little older for my age, but ewww!!

Original post by senator88
so i'm going on holiday to dubai, and was just wondering what type of clothes i could wear, as i've heard they are easily offended there! so what could i wear that will look nice and keep me cool and be respectful at the same time? links would be good as well! :smile: im female by the way.

I had the same problem when I was in religious parts of Jerusalem, and when I was in Marrakesh recently. I think if you keep your shoulders covered, you should be fine, but preferably long sleeve t-shirts. Stick to cotton, as synthetic fabrics get a bit tight and sticky. Primark and H&M have got the cotton ones.
Keep your knees covered too, skirts preferably. Or maybe floaty maxi dresses with a t-shirt under?

http://www.asos.com/Tfnc/Tfnc-Cotton-Maxi-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1122999&SearchQuery=maxi&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=3&clr=Black
I'd suggest something that isn't too revealing, only because Middle-Eastern men seem overly leery.
I went to Jordan, Egypt, Israel and Dubai last year, and unless you're travelling during Ramadan; you're perfectly able to wear what you would here if it ever hit 40 degrees.
Original post by senator88

I went for a month (Got stuck out there due to the volcano ash, not that i was complaining :biggrin:) and it was the best holiday of my life. Luckily, my mates dad who works out there who we lived with, owns an apartment on Jumeriah Beach, which has loads of swimming pools, and outside by the beach is a great street with loads of resturants, shops and the lark, not to mention the beach across the road :biggrin:

Other places i'd suggest would be as someone said, Wild Wadi Water Park. I Went to here, and Atlantis Water Park, i forget what it's called, but Wild Wadi was much much better. However, don't dismiss yourself from Atlantis, i'd go there for the fantastic aquarium they had that i went in, The Lost something or other, and also to eat - Kaelidoscope or however you spell it, is a fantastic all you can eat buffet with different cultural foods, THEY DID A ROAST DINNER!

If you want more places to suggest, ill gladly PM you with a list of places i went to and i'd recommend. It's all brilliant out there, you'll love it!

As for the clothes side of things, my sister came out with me and generally wore shorts and not too revealing tops, which again, i can show you if you're looking for some advice. Tbh i think she went for the "if i look like a tourist, ill be treated like one" approach and it kind of worked, she got a few dirty looks on the first couple of days but that was it.

As i say, if you want more info, PM me, i've got much much more, but this is a fairly long post! :biggrin: hope this helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
im english but live in dubai and would recommend just to keep your shoulders covered- you can wear a tank top or sundress but have a cardie or pashmena to cover your shoulders - have at least down to your knees covered even if it means leggings under a dress or skirt and nothing too low cut - doesn't mean turtleneck haha just nothing to showy. if you just remember shoulders knees and clevage and you will be fine :smile: its not as bad as people make out just stick to this and you should be fine :smile: how long are you coming over for? its a great place with lots to see and do, pm me if you want to talk more :smile:
Original post by SaltyPiratePony

Other places i'd suggest would be as someone said, Wild Wadi Water Park. I Went to here, and Atlantis Water Park, i forget what it's called, but Wild Wadi was much much better. However, don't dismiss yourself from Atlantis, i'd go there for the fantastic aquarium they had that i went in, The Lost something or other, and also to eat - Kaelidoscope or however you spell it, is a fantastic all you can eat buffet with different cultural foods, THEY DID A ROAST DINNER! QUOTE]

Yeah definitely check out Atlantis, I stayed there for a week and it was amazing. The aquarium and the restaurants are outstanding, they have a whale shark! The water park is pretty decent too, not sure how much it costs if you aren't a guest though. I'm guessing it's quite expensive, as the restaurants cost a fair amount.
You can wear pretty much anything but I'd avoid hot shorts/mini skirts and yes not too much cleavage. But Dubai is indeed quite liberal so don't worry too much about it.
hey!! dont worry about it... i have been there a million times.open clothes wont be a good idea. believe me you dont wont people gaping at you..just dont go over the top!! wearing a scarf always will be a good idea!!:redface:i hope this helps you alittle mate!!
nothing...it's soooooooooooo fuking hot down there...but yh don't think that would go down well with the locals...so wear something thin and airy yet don't show much skin

Quick Reply

Latest