The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Physics Enemy
That's nice. I'm glad they threw a token snippet of reality in the way of the public over the past 7.5 years. They haven't been too open about pics of dead Iraqi civilians or stats on the numbers killed since the occupation, though.

I certainly don't believe this and all stats I've seen strongly disagree. In any case, I find it weird that soldiers who now take the brunt of some of these deaths since Saddam died, are heralded back home. Perception is an amazing thing.

Go and look at why people celebrate them returning hoe. Most people have the opinoin of these men and women will fight and die for their cuntry. I support them where ever the yserve.

Also I can bet most of the stats you have seen are unreliable due to the fact that they were still finding mass graves from Saddam.
well, the fact that today's soldiers are doing immoral act in foreign countries, it is easier to blame on the soldiers for doing those rather than the government. It would be logic to boycott H4H since it might indirectly support the atrocities going down in Afghanistan/Iraq.

I do applaud H4H for their job and hope that they will continue. But the fact that the organisation has been polluted with patriotic rhetoric and 'support thau solider, regardless of their actions/crimes' Makes me a little queasy when trying to donate.

The organisation was used to support war victims who got those wounds and mental scars in wars where they where defending our country from invaders.

this could imply that, these war hero's during WW2 where doing their jobs 'because they had to' rather than today's soldiers doing their job 'out of choice'

The soldiers choice might be the factor in supporting today's H2H... WW2 hero's did not have the choice to get maimed and wounded... While today's modern solider choose to go there, fully aware of the situation.
Reply 162
Original post by Physics Enemy
Yes and he's saying don't join in the first place. In any case, I did ask about the legitimacy and use of a solider who point blank refuses to fight once he's in the army. You can't piggy back him around or make him fire. He'd also be a liability to other soldiers. So this part is something that needs explaining thoroughly.

How does it need explaining? If you don't want to go to Iraq, you may still sign up to the army after recognizing the fact that we need one. Anyone who argues otherwise is completely deluded. Thatcher earlier made a brilliant post. Everybody disagreeing is most certainly a coward. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 163
Original post by Glenbot3000
The people in the armed forces are there to kill and maim others.

Once again your lack of understanding of what it is the Armed Forces do is evident. Without proper understanding of their missions and the way they conduct their missions what hope do you have of understanding their intent and the intent of the Gov in sending them? Let alone the individual intent of the men and women out there.

The job of the Armed Forces isn't and has never been to "kill and maim". There's a good reason why the then Defence Secretary said that he hoped British troops would be able to start and end their deployment in Afghanistan "without firing a single bullet". The job is not to inflict harm, but to prevent greater harm. They do, however, have to be able to use violence -in as small a way as is possible- in order to do the job. Soldiers would far rather not have to use their rifles [if for no other reason than cleaning them is a ball ache], but do so in the interest of self preservation while the larger mission goes on.

If you're going to involve yourself in a debate like this at least come to some basic understanding of what the Armed Forces do and what they're there for - and not from a propagandist or hate-fuelled angle - otherwise your arguments will never be taken seriously.
Reply 164
Original post by thisisnew

Original post by thisisnew
Who wouldn't see it as justified? If the scenario I pointed out really happened and some guy killed the psycho saving the lives of countless children would you REALLY be like "but yeah he's a murderer no better than the gunman". Really?

No we shouldn't be in places like Palestine because that is in no way comparable. That's a border dispute between two countries not two countries under the thumb of a brutal dictatorship & you'd also be naive and stupid to think Palestine are "innocent" for a lack of a better word.

What kind of special treatment do you believe the returning soldiers expect? They are not divas who demand 24h attention, fancy cars and a mansion. They thought in the interests of our country and government so it's not unreasonable for them to expect some sort of help when they are severely injured on the job. As said earlier none of the soldiers attempt to glorify their actions.

Also this quote:

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be seen as justified by the majority - I'm saying at the end of the day if person X kills person Y then they are a murderer. And there will always be a minority who think it isn't justified, using the paedophile as an example, people who think that it is a mental disorder or whatever that can't be helped.

Well the whole Israel/Palestine thing is hardly an equal dispute is it? So why don't we go over there and help even things out? If were going to butt in to other countries' business we should do it in as many places as possible. And with the whole Iraq situation - I think you'll find many people preferred it back when Saddam was there regardless of what he was like it was better than their current situation.

In answer to the quote - the drug users and prositutes got themselves in that situation. In an ideal world with unlimited resources we could help everyone but resources are limited so should be used to help people who are in no way to blame for their illness or whatever. Same goes for people who have drank themselves to the point where they need a new liver etc.

At the end of the day these are charities, so nobody is forced in to giving them money.
Original post by Cybele
Sounds like you don't have a clue what "the cause" really is.

Please, enlighten me.

I was under the impression it helped & supported soldiers who had been wounded since September 11th 2001, I don't know - maybe I'm completely wrong.
Reply 166
Original post by Craiky1506
Please, enlighten me.

I was under the impression it helped & supported soldiers who had been wounded since September 11th 2001, I don't know - maybe I'm completely wrong.

You should read the 3rd message, not just the first. "We do not seek to criticise or be political". They can rise above it, why are you too petty to do the same?
Reply 167
Original post by Craiky1506
Please, enlighten me.

Your reasons for not 'agreeing' with Help for Heroes were 1) "I disagree with the wars" and 2) You don't see servicemen as heroes.

My response would be this -
1) tell me when Help for Heroes has actively supported any war? Like most charities, they are a-political and the money simply goes towards helping servicemen who's lives have been pretty much devastated by conflict.

2) What the charity calls itself is really irrelevant. They use the term 'hero' because of the nature of their job and, to quote their website, 'to show these extraordinary young men and women that they are cared for by us.'

So, Help for Heroes is there to provide a bit of relief and help to those who have been seriously injured and maimed in conflict, it is not there to garner support for the government nor the wars it gets involved with.
If you send them money you have no way of knowing whether it will go to a genuine "hero". For example, what about a soldier who is run over by a truck while he is blind drunk and he loses an arm in the accident. Is he a hero just because he happened to have the accident in Afghanistan and not in Leeds?
The general consensus seems to be that even though Help for Heroes doesn't support the war, there's nothing wrong with them aiding the people fighting in it.

Is it me, or is this not paradoxical?

(to elaborate, I'm saying on one hand they're condeming it, on the other they are directly supporting it by oiling the cogs of warfare and helping people fight for something they do not wish to be in existence in the first place)

To use an outlandish analogy (this seems to be the trend around here): would you pay to support the rehabilitation of a rapist injured by vigilantes?

Edit: Or to reuse an old gem: would you pay to rehabilitate a man who had just gone into a school and massacred a few hundred students, but was shot and maimed by a police officer?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 170
The general consensus seems to be that even though Help for Heroes doesn't support the war, there's nothing wrong with them aiding the people fighting in it.

It's you.

To use an outlandish analogy (this seems to be the trend around here): would you pay to support the rehabilitation of a rapist injured by vigilantes?

Not only outlandish, but also unfair and kind of offensive. What have rapists got to do with Help for Heores? How are you comparing them to servicemen?
Original post by SatanIsAwesome
To stop those people killing and maiming 10 times as many other people.....

~3,000 American civilians + 300 British civilians < ~300,000 civilians killed in Iraqi and Afghani conflicts.

I think the shoe is MOST DEFINITELY on the other foot.

Original post by Drewski
The job of the Armed Forces isn't and has never been to "kill and maim".

OK, I apologise. This isn't the sole purpose of the Armed Forces. There's also intimidation, political self-righteousness and economic benefits I forgot to mention.

To reiterate, I never intended for it to be interpreted as their sole purpose, but regardless, that is what they do.
Reply 172

(to elaborate, I'm saying on one hand they're condeming it, on the other they are directly supporting it by oiling the cogs of warfare and helping people fight for something they do not wish to be in existence in the first place)

Edit: Or to reuse an old gem: would you pay to rehabilitate a man who had just gone into a school and massacred a few hundred students, but was shot and maimed by a police officer?

The difference is that in none of your analogies are the people getting hurt being asked to do this by their country. That you disagree with the Gov's policy is evident and not of debate in this thread, but the men being supported by this charity have been injured on the country's behalf and, in most cases, are now incapable of living a normal post-services life due to their injuries. It in this situation that some people feel the need to help out.

Again, the charity is a non-governmental organisation, any contributions are entirely voluntary, they do not ask you to condone what they're doing. If you don't like it, you don't support it, it's not a big deal.
Original post by Cybele
Not only outlandish, but also unfair and kind of offensive. What have rapists got to do with Help for Heores? How are you comparing them to servicemen?

Read earlier in the thread, and you'll get why I'm making such comments.

I am in no way comparing servicemen to rapists, and you're right, it has very little to do with Help for Heroes, but it helps reason my argument. The logic for this situation has been applied to another, and alas, you cannot answer?
Funnily enough, you describe yourself as being far-left, however alot of people who are far left would subscribe to utilitarianism, the idea which essentially boils down to the fact that if potential pleasure or happiness outweighs potential pain, it is worth it. It makes war justifiable as the cause is to ensure happiness and pleasure of those who are being defended.

I'm not attacking you, but seeing any killing as murder (i.e the idea that we all have basic rights which should not be violated under any circumstances) is quite a clasically liberal idea, which isn't left wing at all.
Reply 175
OK, I apologise. This isn't the sole purpose of the Armed Forces. There's also intimidation, political self-righteousness and economic benefits I forgot to mention.
To reiterate, I never intended for it to be interpreted as their sole purpose, but regardless, that is what they do.

You have a bigotted, narrow minded and entirely childish view of the Armed Forces fuelled by nothing else than your hatred of anything to do with power.

Not only that, but your comments will, regardless of intent, cause serious insult to members of the Armed Forces who'd question why someone of 17yrs - living in the safety and freedom of an open society - and who has never dared put their life on the line for a cause greater than themself feels they have the right to question the way they life their life.
Reply 176
Read earlier in the thread, and you'll get why I'm making such comments.

I am in no way comparing servicemen to rapists, and you're right, it has very little to do with Help for Heroes, but it helps reason my argument. The logic for this situation has been applied to another, and alas, you cannot answer?

I answered it and explained how it was a rubbish argument.
Original post by Drewski
The difference is that in none of your analogies are the people getting hurt being asked to do this by their country. That you disagree with the Gov's policy is evident and not of debate in this thread, but the men being supported by this charity have been injured on the country's behalf and, in most cases, are now incapable of living a normal post-services life due to their injuries. It in this situation that some people feel the need to help out.

I'm not talking of my beliefs, I'm talking of the beliefs portrayed by the charity. By not promoting warfare, logically it must disagree with it. And they can't/shouldn't have a neutral standpoint on an issue which they are in the centre of.
Reply 178
I'm not talking of my beliefs, I'm talking of the beliefs portrayed by the charity. By not promoting warfare, logically it must disagree with it. And they can't/shouldn't have a neutral standpoint on an issue which they are in the centre of.

Worst use of logic I've seen in this thread.

They are an a-political organisation who neither support nor condone the wars - it's not their place and there are plenty of other groups out there who do enough of that. They support the men and women of the Armed Forces who have been injured. End of. And yes, it can be that simple. Not everything in life has to be some massive political conspiracy.
Basically, I just wanted to see if my opinion is, in fact, completely ludicrous, or if it bares credence. By nature, I am far-left in ideology, however my peers find my discussion of this topic "disgusting".

So, why do I disagree with this appeal? Foremost, I believe that anyone who joins this war condones it. Secondly, if one man is to kill another, regardless of circumstance, I see him only as a murderer. Finally, the State sends these people to war, the State should ensure they are comfortable in return for their compliance and effort.

Discuss.

You've clearly put some thought into your points, however not enough thought for you to be able to construct an argument from them. The reason is that in order to construct an argument you need to be persuasive, and in order to be persuasive, you need to put more thought into your points. Let me illustrate where all three of your main points stumble.

Foremost, I believe that anyone who joins this war condones it.
Troops do not have a choice where they are posted - there are many other areas in which our forces are deployed - the British Army of the Rhine for instance. No one chooses to join the war directly (other than the Taliban fighters), and there are still troops in action who may have joined the army prior to the Afghan war starting.

Secondly, if one man is to kill another, regardless of circumstance, I see him only as a murderer.
This statement is a triumph of generalisation and stinks of idealism. Firstly, it makes the assumption that all those troops who rely on Help for Heroes aid have killed others. This is not the case (I am sure there are many combat medical, logistical and engineering staff who have been helped by the charity as well).

You also state that any man is a murderer if he kills another man regardless of circumstance. This is a very strong statement indeed and an example of why you should think things through for yourself, rather than thinking 'What would Karl Marx/Martin Luther-King/Aung San Suu Kyi believe?'. I presume you take this view and apply it to life outside of war as well - if this is the case, then it just goes to illustrate the depths to which your views are bound by idealism and lack of understanding of the real world. If Dereck Bird had been shot by armed police rather than shooting himself, would those officers have been murderers? What if a Jewish man fatally wounded an SS officer who was searching his house, in a last-ditch attempt to spare his hiding family from the horrors of Auschwitz? Would it be murder to shoot an armed hostage-taker?

Most people (other than idealists) would argue that there will always be SOME situations in which the taking of another human life is justifiable.

You are entitled to your views, however if you wish to make a show of them, you must ensure that they stand up to scrutiny. Personally I don't think that you stance is 'disgusting' at all, it's just poorly thought out and based on ideological concepts which only work in a perfect world and can never be applied in real life.

Latest

Trending

Trending