The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The £1 represents the civil marriage: the judge deducts the pound so as to indicate that the civil marriage between the two still stands. The agreement seems to suggest that the civil and Islamic marriage are interbound and so the only way to get the whole sum without any deductions would be for both a civil and Islamic divorce. However, this wasn't the case, and in recognition of the continuing civil mariage the judge deducts the pound? Sort of like part performance if you will.
octane - that's what I said! Dont think it was right though.... :smile:
Reply 22
The answer, my dears, is below:

The £1 signifies the difference between official law, the civil marriage, and unofficial law, the Islamic marriage. Had the judge given £30,001 it would have become a precedent in the legal system and every time a similar case came up, the judge would have to rule similarly. To emphasise the superority of the law of the land, the judge kept the £1 for himself. :wink:
Reply 23
:rofl:! ok then:smile:
Socrates
Here's a case for all you lawyers (or wannabe lawyers :biggrin:):

A Bangladeshi couple get married, both in civil marriage and a nikah (Islamic marriage). Now in the Islamic marriage, the husband is obligated to give an agreed amount of money if the couple are divorced. After a lot of strangling between father in law and son in law, the sum of money is decided to be £30,001.

5 months later, the couple have a massive row and the husband divorces her. As far as the Islamic marriage is concerned, they are now divorced, however the civil marriage still stands. The woman demands the money promised at the time of the marriage, and the husband refuses. So they go to court.

The man's lawyer says that since the civil marriage still stands, the Islamic marriage should not be recognised by the court. Dr. Werner Menski (my professor :biggrin:) is the lawyer representing the woman. He argues that the man should cough up because the mahr (the sum of money agreed) was related to the Islamic marriage and not to the civil marriage. After a couple of sessions, the judge passes the verdict that the woman should be paid £30,000.

The question for all you lawyers is: Why did he not pay the £1, since the agreed amount was £30,001 and not £30,000?

Interesting question.

I think that the £1 signifies the difference between official law, the civil marriage, and unofficial law, the Islamic marriage. Had the judge given £30,001 it would have become a precedent in the legal system and every time a similar case came up, the judge would have to rule similarly. To emphasise the superority of the law of the land, the judge kept the £1 for himself.
Reply 25
Socrates

The £1 signifies the difference between official law, the civil marriage, and unofficial law, the Islamic marriage. Had the judge given £30,001 it would have become a precedent in the legal system and every time a similar case came up, the judge would have to rule similarly. To emphasise the superority of the law of the land, the judge kept the £1 for himself. :wink:

+
Phonicsdude
Interesting question.

I think that the £1 signifies the difference between official law, the civil marriage, and unofficial law, the Islamic marriage. Had the judge given £30,001 it would have become a precedent in the legal system and every time a similar case came up, the judge would have to rule similarly. To emphasise the superority of the law of the land, the judge kept the £1 for himself.

Phonicsdude, was that intentional :eek:????
Reply 26
Icy Ghost
Phonicsdude, was that intentional :eek:????

Knowning Phonicsdude, it probably was.
So I'm not the only up at this time!

I haven't been to sleep all night. Why does clarity lend itself so late (or early on if one is to be pedantic) in the day?

Argh!
Reply 28
octanethriller
So I'm not the only up at this time!

I haven't been to sleep all night. Why does clarity lend itself so late (or early on if one is to be pedantic) in the day?

Argh!

heh...

I too tend to work better late at night...
To the detriment of my health I'm begining to find that I work best between the hours of 3 and 7 am!

I hope I don't begin to nod off in my lecture as I did last week. I was sitting in the front row as well, and he was a new lecturer who was actually very good! :redface:
Socrates
Knowning Phonicsdude, it probably was.

We know wach other? :eek:

But seriously, what do you mean? Was I right?
Reply 31
Phonicsdude
We know wach other? :eek:

each was the word you were looking for I believe.

Yeah, Aqeel1101 was telling me about you.
When?
Do you know him?

Aqeel = Iago
Reply 33
Phonicsdude
When?
Do you know him?

Yep. He's a good friend of mine.

Aqeel = Iago

Are you sure?
Aqeel is not what he seems.
His problem is that he is a pretentious biggot. Hes one of the nicest guys Ive known: it's just a shame he hides the good with falseness.

Anybody whose sole aim in life (above marriage, above a wish for social justice) is to get rich is somebody who is not just immoral, but ammoral.

Latest

Trending

Trending