The Student Room Group

Rubbish students at University need to be PUNISHED

I believe that the rules at Universities up and down the country are too light. I have a proposed idea that I want to pass with you guys, the average student, to see what the general consent is.

Missing Lectures
> If more than 3 lectures are missed in a year, then the University should have a "Wall of Shame" combined with a personal welcome to those constantly absent. This means the lecturer will be forced to embarrass the guilty candidate by sarcastically greeting he/she in front of everyone. This could even go further by having the persons face projected on the wall before the lecture starts.

Laziness in a dorm
> If you're the type of person who sleeps all the time, the university should have the right to disrupt your pattern/habit. This may sound unrealistic, but lazy candidates should have their bed rigged with an alarm, which goes off during certain hours when weight is applied to it. This means he/she will be unable to lie down, thus forcing them to stay awake. This will mean that proper sleeping times will have to be arranged and this will result in more work getting done.

Missing work combined with a lack of concentration
> If the candidate constantly fails to meet deadlines then the university will issue a three week "focus program". This means the person will have to leave their dorm and friends, and be forced to attend university OUTSIDE of the City/Campus. For example, the building with have basic equipment and the rooms will be bare - Routine will include a room with bed, desk and laptop with strict internet rules. Leisure on the weekend will allow the candidate to return to the City depending on their progress. This program will ENSURE work is completed. As soon as it is completed they can leave thus making them work harder and focus.

Sounds a bit mad, sure. But I think this could really up the lazy students out there. Let's face it Universities are full of them.

Thoughts and ideas please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just one question - why?
This isn't primary school.
Reply 3
Why does it matter what other students choose to do? It's their money they're wasting...
Original post by CountMancula
I believe that the rules at Universities up and down the country are too light. I have a proposed idea that I want to pass with you guys, the average student, to see what the general consent is.

Missing Lectures
> If more than 3 lectures are missed in a year, then the University should have a "Wall of Shame" combined with a personal welcome to those constantly absent. This means the lecturer will be forced to embarrass the guilty candidate by sarcastically greeting he/she in front of everyone. This could even go further by having the persons face projected on the wall before the lecture starts.

Laziness in a dorm
> If you're the type of person who sleeps all the time, the university should have the right to disrupt your pattern/habit. This may sound unrealistic, but lazy candidates should have their bed rigged with an alarm, which goes off during certain hours when weight is applied to it. This means he/she will be unable to lie down, thus forcing them to stay awake. This will mean that proper sleeping times will have to be arranged and this will result in more work getting done.

Missing work combined with a lack of concentration
> If the candidate constantly fails to meet deadlines then the university will issue a three week "focus program". This means the person will have to leave their dorm and friends, and be forced to attend university OUTSIDE of the City/Campus. For example, the building with have basic equipment and the rooms will be bare - Routine will include a room with bed, desk and laptop with strict internet rules. Leisure on the weekend will allow the candidate to return to the City depending on their progress. This program will ENSURE work is completed. As soon as it is completed they can leave thus making them work harder and focus.

Sounds a bit mad, sure. But I think this could really up the lazy students out there. Let's face it Universities are full of them.

Thoughts and ideas please?

How about they just get chucked off their course? This is the real world now, they aren't children any more.
Reply 5
The first two are an absolute joke. Most universities don't monitor attendance in lectures and it would be administratively difficult if they started doing so. Secondly, what if students are ill and wish to rest? That's a major flaw with the alarm idea. Universities should have no right to disrupt your sleeping.

The last idea is a bit extreme, but I agree something should be done if students consistently miss deadlines.
Reply 6
Students pay to go to university and for their accommodation, so if they want to sleep all day then that's up to them.

As for lectures, a lot of universities already have systems in place for if students regularly miss classes.

As for meeting deadlines, again as above. No university would allow students to continue without intervention if work was never handed in or regularly handed in late.

Why does it make such a difference to you anyway, why does it matter what other people do?
Reply 7
Why do you care so much? Stick to sorting your own life out matey, you get lazy people EVERYWHERE!
You forgot your [SARCASM] tags.
Reply 9
Original post by Adam92
The first two are an absolute joke. Most universities don't monitor attendance in lectures and it would be administratively difficult if they started doing so. Secondly, what if students are ill and wish to rest? That's a major flaw with the alarm idea. Universities should have no right to disrupt your sleeping.

The last idea is a bit extreme, but I agree something should be done if students consistently miss deadlines.

Alarms could be extended upon request. It’s not hard. Obviously the ideas aren’t fully ironed out, but the basic platform is there.
Universities generally care about the welfare of their students and how well they perform as a whole. If students are underperforming from absence, late hand-ins, laziness etc, then they do every now and then kick people off their course and such. I don't really see why we should change this - students go to university for a number of different reasons, and how they use the institution's facilities, services and support is up to them, providing they're not damaging the reputation of the university.
Your ideas are basically a load of nonsense, why bother making a thread?
Original post by fire2burn
Your ideas are basically a load of nonsense, why bother making a thread?

You disagree with everything though. It's an IDEA. :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Alarms could be extended upon request. It’s not hard. Obviously the ideas aren’t fully ironed out, but the basic platform is there.

And what's to say people won't abuse this system and extend alarms as much as possible? What about the other problems I outlined?
Tell them to GTF, their not kids anymore. They're taking uni places that could be best used with people who have actual potential.
You seem to be under the impression that at university you should be treated as a child and not an adult capable of making your own decisions. If people underperform it's their own problem. If an employee was constantly late for work their employer wouldn't have an alarm fitted on their bed. Welcome to the real world of having to fend for yourself. There's no need to shelter students.
Reply 16
Alarms could be extended upon request.

Lol, what? Gotta be up early, those non-aryan races won't exterminate themselves eh :colonhash:
Original post by Adam92
And what's to say people won't abuse this system and extend alarms as much as possible? What about the other problems I outlined?

Attendance is monitored in schools/colleges up and down the country, so there is no reason it can’t work at university.

The process of extending an alarm could be cheated. But then so can fake sickness, etc. Example: To extend the alarm he/she will have to fill out a rather detailed form with exact reasons. If it’s due to illness, then he/she must produce a doctors note if its over 5 days or attend an alarm meeting with a member of staff.
Reply 18
Lol "wall of shame", how gay can you get
What's it to you if other people want to waste their time and money?

Latest

Trending

Trending