The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I can sleep whenever I want to, Mr. Kim Jong-il. And it's my choice when I turn up to lectures. U mad?
Reply 41
dude,how old are you?
you must be fun to have in class.(pure sarcasm)
Reply 42
University students are adults. They are responsible for themselves.
Original post by beesbees
I can sleep whenever I want to, Mr. Kim Jong-il. And it's my choice when I turn up to lectures. U mad?

It is that soft approach which has turned this nation into a laughing stock. Education needs to be more effective. University has turned into an excuse for people to have a laugh and get drunk. This idea will stop that, and better people will come out of uni because of it.
Original post by CountMancula

Missing Lectures
> If more than 3 lectures are missed in a year, then the University should have a "Wall of Shame" combined with a personal welcome to those constantly absent. This means the lecturer will be forced to embarrass the guilty candidate by sarcastically greeting he/she in front of everyone. This could even go further by having the persons face projected on the wall before the lecture starts.

Oh no, if I decided one day to attend a lecture, people will know I haven't been going... how embarrassing..... NAAAAT
Reply 45
Your an adult, and your paying for the course your on as well as accommodation, its up to you in the end you get a good degree or you dont.

Im lazy as **** at home, i do miss some lectures and some seminars, but i do the work and keep a good grade, should i be kicked out? Honestly you sound like your from an old army regiment that instils strict discipline on soldiers.

If your late for lecture, the lecturer usually does make a scene and says so next time you know to come early.

Lectures aren't that important all the notes are put on blackboard and if you missed something that was said then you can get a mate to fill you in. Sometimes i get my mate to sign me in for the lectures, when im not in, see good attendance. -_-

The Uni doesn't give a toss, they just want the money and those who achieve well to make up their rank on the university ranking table.

Original post by Ewan
To be fair, people get financial help because they are studying full time (a certain number of hours per week around 25). It's blatantly obvious a lot of students aren't doing that, so in a way they are defrauding the government.

What about staying behind in the library, i occasionally miss lessons but catch up on the work in the library which is studying, i should get paid more i stay in the library with friends for hours catching or most likely doing assignments.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
It is that soft approach which has turned this nation into a laughing stock. Education needs to be more effective. University has turned into an excuse for people to have a laugh and get drunk. This idea will stop that, and better people will come out of uni because of it.

University is all about intellectual and personal freedom; freedom to create and think new ideas, develop and build on past academic work, not some authoritarian camp to turn out drones who require rigid and structured punishments to do work. If I want to study at 3am and sleep in the day, what difference does it make? If I want to view the lecture on line instead of attend, what difference does that make? I'll think you find a lot of academics work incredibly unusual work patterns and can pursue thier own research interests: ie. doing whatever they bloody well want to.
They are dismissed as its outside University territory.

Then wouldn't everyone do this...?
LMAO 'Wall of Shame'
The best thing I got out of uni was learning a bit of maturity and self-discipline.

If you were forced to attend lectures and meet deadlines you would never learn how to motivate yourself. When you entered the workplace and people expected you to manage yourself you wouldn't be able to cope.

You are crazy! Students are adults and ultimately it's our own responsibility to attend lectures etc. The fact that it will benefit us to do so should be motivation enough. Your ideas are all very extreme, and although you seem to want students to make the most of their degrees, you can't force them to. It's their choice, and I seriously doubt anyone would thank you for treating them like children and assuming they can't manage their own time. Plus, the humiliation idea is morally deplorable.

I agree with you that many students are not taking their education seriously - when it is partially funded by the gov't this is wrong.

Your ideas aren't the way to go about fixing it though.

If I do an all-nighter studying, why shouldn't I be able to sleep it off in the day? If your ideas were implemented, my education would suffer. Why should my education suffer just because some people out there are being lazy?
Reply 52
Laziness in a dorm
> If you're the type of person who sleeps all the time, the university should have the right to disrupt your pattern/habit. This may sound unrealistic, but lazy candidates should have their bed rigged with an alarm, which goes off during certain hours when weight is applied to it. This means he/she will be unable to lie down, thus forcing them to stay awake. This will mean that proper sleeping times will have to be arranged and this will result in more work getting done.

What if a students has unconventional sleeping habits, but they get good grades and attend lectures? I fail to see how a university would have the right to disrupt the sleeping habits of a person. And, wouldn't making students sleep-deprived have a negative effect?

This could easily snowball. Should universities regulate what foods we eat, in order to boost our concentration and energy levels? Should they take away all personal districtions (ie Televisions, iPods, Books), so we have more time to study?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by beesbees
University is all about intellectual and personal freedom; freedom to create and think new ideas, develop and build on past academic work, not some authoritarian camp to turn out drones who require rigid and structured punishments to do work. If I want to study at 3am and sleep in the day, what difference does it make? If I want to view the lecture on line instead of attend, what difference does that make? I'll think you find a lot of academics work incredibly unusual work patterns and can pursue thier own research interests: ie. doing whatever they bloody well want to.

No, it’s not meant to be an authoritarian camp. My idea will create an established University with a solid baseline to ENSURE success. You can have fun as long as the work is met to a standard that passes the requirements. Well if you want sleep in the day, then fine, but you will have to find another way to catch up with rest because the alarm on the bed will prevent you from lounging around doing nothing. It will teach everyone to manager his or her time effectively, and realise that just because you’re at university doesn’t mean you can lark around.

This may sound like something from a 1940s boot camp, but harsher regimes worked then as the people had a greater mentality and weren’t as selfish. This country is too focused on political correctness and “human right”. Hear me out.
University =/= School
Original post by alharrison4
You are crazy! Students are adults and ultimately it's our own responsibility to attend lectures etc. The fact that it will benefit us to do so should be motivation enough. Your ideas are all very extreme, and although you seem to want students to make the most of their degrees, you can't force them to. It's their choice, and I seriously doubt anyone would thank you for treating them like children and assuming they can't manage their own time. Plus, the humiliation idea is morally deplorable.

If you don’t want to attend university to its full then there’s a simple solution: Leave! University should educate and turn the person into a mature, disciplined individual, which is why the regime could work. Students will understand the importance of time management and how work can lead to pleasure. They will go in immature with the intent of mucking around, but will leave as a different person who can learn how to appreciate.
If you don’t want to attend university to its full then there’s a simple solution: Leave! University should educate and turn the person into a mature, disciplined individual, which is why the regime could work. Students will understand the importance of time management and how work can lead to pleasure. They will go in immature with the intent of mucking around, but will leave as a different person who can learn how to appreciate.

I will give an example of something..

When I was young, I would read a lot. I mean, A LOT. Constantly reading. But as soon as we were enforced reading in secondary school, I stopped. I went down to the minimum requirement of ~10 minutes a day reading, when before I would read for hours.

My point is, increasing restrictions causes those who don't want to work to have to work, and they don't like it, and causes those who do want to work to feel that it is more a chore, and reduces how much they work.

I work. I do well. Anything which is done to increase restrictions must not apply to me because I am not doing anything wrong. Let me do my work in peace.
Original post by lightburns
I will give an example of something..

When I was young, I would read a lot. I mean, A LOT. Constantly reading. But as soon as we were enforced reading in secondary school, I stopped. I went down to the minimum requirement of ~10 minutes a day reading, when before I would read for hours.

My point is, increasing restrictions causes those who don't want to work to have to work, and they don't like it, and causes those who do want to work to feel that it is more a chore, and reduces how much they work.

I work. I do well. Anything which is done to increase restrictions must not apply to me because I am not doing anything wrong. Let me do my work in peace.

That is one horrendous outlook. You’re saying if someone doesn’t want to work, then why should they? This goes to show that most University students are living in a plastic world. They have no IDEA what work means. So what do you plan to do when you leave University and start working? “Sorry boss, I was going to work, but because this is forced upon, I shall not”.

Work is work. Stop crying and do it. Same rule should apply to students at University.
Students are perfectly entitled to skip lectures and sleep/work when they want. They're choosing to go to university and can put in as little effort as they want.
Original post by RightSaidJames
Students are perfectly entitled to skip lectures and sleep/work when they want. They're choosing to go to university and can put in as little effort as they want.

The mentality of some people is unbelievable.

Latest

Trending

Trending