The Student Room Group

Buss3 A2 Jan 11 revision thread

if this applies to you please comment so we can help revise with exam questions

Scroll to see replies

anyone asap the exam is in about 2 months
Reply 2
Original post by justincredible1
anyone asap the exam is in about 2 months

Just to confirm this is the AQA exam on the 24th right! If so thanks for making this thread :woo: let the revision begin.
What have you been doing to revise so far?:smile:
yes it is on the 24th and so far i have revising some of the marketing sector in the cgp revision books how about you :smile:? and what grade are you aiming to get?
Reply 4
I've finished all my notes so im going to start going through everything.
Im aiming for at least a B (so i need a minimum of 73% in this) but if i do really well in this exam (high 80s/low 90s) i might resit unit 2 & aim for an A.
What about you?
Im trying to get a B at least, i really need to crack on with my notes i have only started marketing and i haven't done any other ones "/. How long did it take you to do your notes?
Reply 6
Im trying to get a B at least, i really need to crack on with my notes i have only started marketing and i haven't done any other ones "/. How long did it take you to do your notes?

Lol ive been making notes since mid september (it takes me ages & plus i made them as we went along with the course - although we havent started marketing but i just made notes using the book & will update them when we go through it). You should aim to finish you notes by mid december so you can start past-papers.

Edit: When your ready we should go through the BUS4 pastpaper questions together :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ree-Shay
Lol ive been making notes since mid september (it takes me ages & plus i made them as we went along with the course - although we havent started marketing but i just made notes using the book & will update them when we go through it). You should aim to finish you notes by mid december so you can start past-papers.

Edit: When your ready we should go through the BUS4 pastpaper questions together :smile:

what book did you use to do your notes?
Reply 8
what book did you use to do your notes?

AQA Alevel Business studies fourth edition by Dave Hall etc.

http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9781405892216&in_merch=1&in_merch_title=You+may+also+like&in_merch_name=Business+Studies+for+AQA

Are you using the same book?
yh we are using the same book but at home i am using the cgp revision guide and i have just realised its the old revision guide "/
Reply 10
Guys, the CGP revision guide is hopeless for BUSS3. You are much, much better off using Wolinski and Coates. Dont put yourself at such a disadvantage using awful materials like that

Jim
Hey
Am doing BUSS3 in Jan too.
I think I prefer to throw my self in at the deep end and start with the past papers so that I can see what knowledge I have picked up from my lessons. Have you guys done any past papers yet. Some of them are nasty :smile: xx
Reply 12
Original post by Jim Riley
Guys, the CGP revision guide is hopeless for BUSS3. You are much, much better off using Wolinski and Coates. Dont put yourself at such a disadvantage using awful materials like that

Jim

Thanks for the tip Jim, i'll go out and see if i can buy that book :smile:

Original post by littleittleash
Hey
Am doing BUSS3 in Jan too.
I think I prefer to throw my self in at the deep end and start with the past papers so that I can see what knowledge I have picked up from my lessons. Have you guys done any past papers yet. Some of them are nasty :smile: xx

I've done a few pastpapers at school (for mocks & homework) and i can tell from those i haven't picked up much in lessons :tongue: so im going to start going through my notes (any time now).
Reply 13

Jim

Im using that book and find it good, whats wrong with it??????
Reply 14
Success in BUSS3 is all about writing convincing, detailed answers the three functional area questions and then bringing all the synoptic skills together for the final 34 marker. The CGP revision guides dont go into nearly enough detail to answer these questions well (in the context of the given case study) or provide appropriate exam technique for the big question. Coates & Wolinski is outstandingly good at this.

Jim
Reply 15
Success in BUSS3 is all about writing convincing, detailed answers the three functional area questions and then bringing all the synoptic skills together for the final 34 marker. The CGP revision guides dont go into nearly enough detail to answer these questions well (in the context of the given case study) or provide appropriate exam technique for the big question. Coates & Wolinski is outstandingly good at this.

Jim

Im guessing then that book goes into more detail...so what kind of structure would you suggest and also regarding synoptic, what would get u near enough full marks? And do you have any tips for getting full marks?

And also what would you recommend i do if I were unable to get that book?. Sorry for so many questions I'm just a little worried now lol. Any help would be great

Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Can someone give me the heads up on the role on the relationship between functional objectives and strategies. Are strategies at a functional level devised in response to the objectives?

Corporate objectives
Corporate strategy
Functional objectives
Functional strategy
Functional tactics

By my understanding, objectives are statements that the business wishes to achieve. The strategy element is an overreaching view of how resources can be deployed in order to achieve the objectives. Plans are then the physical means to implementing strategy.

Have I got this right?
Reply 17
Original post by studentee
Can someone give me the heads up on the role on the relationship between functional objectives and strategies. Are strategies at a functional level devised in response to the objectives?

Corporate objectives
Corporate strategy
Functional objectives
Functional strategy
Functional tactics

By my understanding, objectives are statements that the business wishes to achieve. The strategy element is an overreaching view of how resources can be deployed in order to achieve the objectives. Plans are then the physical means to implementing strategy.

Have I got this right?

Im on my way out to get the Coates & Wolinski book i reserved & i'll add more when i get back but:
Functional objectives are objectives made by each department (finance, marketing, operations & HR). They are more specific and detailed than corporate objectives and are devised in order to achieve the corporate objective.
Reply 18
Original post by Ree-Shay
Im on my way out to get the Coates & Wolinski book i reserved & i'll add more when i get back but:
Functional objectives are objectives made by each department (finance, marketing, operations & HR). They are more specific and detailed than corporate objectives and are devised in order to achieve the corporate objective.

Hiya, thanks for the comments and it would be great if you could add a little later.

As well, what sorts of things do you know about Lean production? I mean the things named on the spec are just-in-time and kaizen. We've also been told to learn about 'SMED' and '5S'. This extra seems pretty futile to me and is really tedious.

:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Hiya, thanks for the comments and it would be great if you could add a little later.

As well, what sorts of things do you know about Lean production? I mean the things named on the spec are just-in-time and kaizen. We've also been told to learn about 'SMED' and '5S'. This extra seems pretty futile to me and is really tedious.

:smile:

A strategy is a long-term plan showing how a firm will achieve its objectives. For example the objective may be to increase profits; the strategy may be to reduce costs or increase revenue (the means of reaching the objective). If the objective is to boost sales, the strategy may be to launch more products or to sell more of the existing products overseas.
So you are right is saying it was 'devised in response to the objectives' but more so it wad devised in response to achieve the functional objectives.

By my understanding, objectives are statements goals that the business wishes to achieve the can departmental (functional) or corporate objectives for the business as a whole NB: Functional objectives contribute to the corporate objectives to ensure each department is working towards achieving the corporate goal. The strategy element is an overreaching view of how resources can be deployed in order to achieve the objectives. Plans are then the physical means to implementing strategythe process of deciding how a business will run and operate in future in areas such as production, etc & how it will use its resources effectively to achieve its objectives.

In terms of lean production,

The main techniques we need to know are:

Cell production

Time-based management

Benchmarking

Just in Time production

Kaizen

However you can go into more detail & talk about Six sigma, SMED & the 5Ss (but these are not in our spec - so ive only just made myself aware of what they mean - in case i get the opportunity to throw it in somewhere :tongue:. Don't go into the others in too much detail as the important one's are those ive bullet pointed above. If you want further detail on each techniques the quote me.

Hope ive helped - if not don't hesitate to tell me to be more specific.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending