The Student Room Group

Unsuccessful PGCE applications

Scroll to see replies

Right, my issue has been resolved somewhat. Thought I'd inform you in case someone else has the same problem.

On track, the status for my first choice was 'course full'. I rang GTTR this morning, but as you can imagine they are inundated with calls due to the deadline being today! Anyway, the lady was very nice and she said it was a fault with the university. She temporarily withdrew my application and resubmitted it (as because of the status, my application went straight to my second choice!) and that because of this I have to now ring both universities to explain my situation. What a palava. Due to the weather, obviously there is no one to take the calls so had to track down emails (one did take my call and gave me the wrong email haha). Poor goldsmiths have about 3 emails sent to them with the same thing on! Luckily, someone replied and said that he'll try and remember my situation when he gets to it. So it's looking hopeful.

If I hadn't have requested my personal i.d via email, I would be totally oblivious of this and would have missed the deadline! :O But luckily I didn't. And so I shall await a decision...
Reply 21
that is a right pain in the erse, unlucky and well done for getting it sorted.
Reply 22
After being rejected by my first and second choice I went to interview today at Nottingham University and they offered me a place at the end of my interview!!

Please don't be downhearted if you get a rejection! The uni obviously wasn't right for you if they say no!
Reply 23
congratulations, that must feel great!
Reply 24
Hi guys,

I received an unsuccessful back on the 25th November for Reading (not called for interview). Feedback was other candidates had a wider range of children in primary schools. (Not happy about that as I do 2 days a week in a primary school as a voluntary classroom assistant, and I do 3 afternoons volunteering for an afterschool club, also for a primary school.

I am worried now though, as when GTTR first sent off application to 1st choice (Reading) I received confirmation straight away from that uni. Now I am guessing gttr have sent it to my 2nd choice (oxford brookes) but I still have had to confirmation from either GTTR or Brookes... getting a little anxious to say the least!:angry:
Original post by lainey2412
Hi guys,

I received an unsuccessful back on the 25th November for Reading (not called for interview). Feedback was other candidates had a wider range of children in primary schools. (Not happy about that as I do 2 days a week in a primary school as a voluntary classroom assistant, and I do 3 afternoons volunteering for an afterschool club, also for a primary school.

I am worried now though, as when GTTR first sent off application to 1st choice (Reading) I received confirmation straight away from that uni. Now I am guessing gttr have sent it to my 2nd choice (oxford brookes) but I still have had to confirmation from either GTTR or Brookes... getting a little anxious to say the least!:angry:

I would say it varies from Uni to Uni, although I applied to Reading as well and never heard any kind of confirmation until they offered me an interview. another candidate on here for primary at reading got sent log-in details for thier applicant portal whihc I also never recieved!

There have been quite a few people on here who have applied to Brookes so might be worth leaving a message on one of these threads, or call Brookes and ask them if they have recieved your application?

Good luck!
Reply 26
My second choice has asked me for interview. This shows that not all the Universities think the same way. Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 27
Well done on the interview. I have just found out I was unsuccessful after my 2nd interview at my first choice which was for a SCITT placement. Talk about my hopes being well and truly dashed!! My application is with second choice now but it makes you feel like you just want to give up :frown: !!
Reply 28
Original post by katiep123
Well done on the interview. I have just found out I was unsuccessful after my 2nd interview at my first choice which was for a SCITT placement. Talk about my hopes being well and truly dashed!! My application is with second choice now but it makes you feel like you just want to give up :frown: !!

I'm sorry, which SCITT placement did you apply to? I've applied to a SCITT placement as well and haven't heard anything at all from them. I'm just hoping that no news is good news.
how do i go about getting feedback?
Got rejeected from greenwich university which as thrown me !
X
Reply 30
Original post by Charlei010788
how do i go about getting feedback?
Got rejeected from greenwich university which as thrown me !
X

Contact the university directly; they are bound to have emailed you at some point so it should not be too hard to know who to contact.
Thanks...

The university have never emailed me lol. But i will give them a call or drop them an email. I just kinda wana know why lol.
X
Reply 32
I emailed Birmingham City after I wasn't offered an interview, I think it's really useful for to know what went wrong in case we have to go through this application process again in the future. They never replied to me.

Sorry about your situation Katy. Fancy bringing someone all that way through the interviews and then turning them down. Could be down to funding. Best of luck with your second choice.
Reply 33
Original post by emma_clare
I emailed Birmingham City after I wasn't offered an interview, I think it's really useful for to know what went wrong in case we have to go through this application process again in the future. They never replied to me.

Sorry about your situation Katy. Fancy bringing someone all that way through the interviews and then turning them down. Could be down to funding. Best of luck with your second choice.

I think it is useful to ask for feedback if you stood a good decent; it is pointless to ask for feedback if you did not even receive an interview, or there were clearly more qualified people at your interview, for example. In most cases it should be obvious anyway.
Reply 34
Original post by evantej
I think it is useful to ask for feedback if you stood a good decent; it is pointless to ask for feedback if you did not even receive an interview, or there were clearly more qualified people at your interview, for example. In most cases it should be obvious anyway.

Of course it's not pointless. A friend of mind received feedback after no interview offer and they criticised her choice of reference. Something for her to consider next time.

I agree though that sometimes it maybe obvious that on an interview day you were out your depth in which case asking about it would be a waste of time.
Reply 35
Original post by emma_clare
Of course it's not pointless. A friend of mind received feedback after no interview offer and they criticised her choice of reference. Something for her to consider next time.

I agree though that sometimes it maybe obvious that on an interview day you were out your depth in which case asking about it would be a waste of time.

In your friends case, it was always going to be her paperwork that was the problem; a lot of university lecturers I know no longer write references for PGCE applicants unless they can show that they have bothered to get some experience beforehand, otherwise it is a waste of time providing a reference. If she was honest with herself she would know whether or not her reference would be good (i.e. how has she participated in that person's units etc.), and she could check websites like this to see how strong her experience and personal statement were.

Of course, if she had no idea what the problem was...
Reply 36
Original post by Kateh86
After being rejected by my first and second choice I went to interview today at Nottingham University and they offered me a place at the end of my interview!!

Please don't be downhearted if you get a rejection! The uni obviously wasn't right for you if they say no!

Thats great! I know you posted a year ago but.... How did u manage to get a 3rd choice (Im guessing u chose primary), Im rejected from my first, waiting for response from my second, but want to add nottingham uni as 3rd.

Hope that makes sense!
If you get rejected from your second choice you are allowed another two - I think? That's what happened to me last year...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending