The Student Room Group

How far does "special consideration" go?

At secondary school, I attended the (consistently) worst school in Birmingham and Solihull. Now, I'm not saying I can blame my school for my lack of top grades, but to what extent will a university say "oh, he's had it bad. Maybe we'll ignore gaps at GCSE level and focus on his A-Level results blahblah"? I got ABBBBBBBBBCU, and I hope to get either AAB or AAA at A2.
Reply 1
I can see where you are coming from but those are not bad grades at all - you have done particularly well considering you went to such a poor quality school. Those are high grades. GCSEs are not taken into account as much as you might think by most universities (I am not sure about Oxbridge and other highly ranked universities) and it sounds as though you are on course to attain excellent A-level grades.

If universities do consider the relative ranking and quality of the school you attended, they will be very impressed with your GCSE results as they are.
Reply 2
Original post by vhvhvh
I can see where you are coming from but those are not bad grades at all - you have done particularly well considering you went to such a poor quality school. Those are high grades. GCSEs are not taken into account as much as you might think by most universities (I am not sure about Oxbridge and other highly ranked universities) and it sounds as though you are on course to attain excellent A-level grades.

If universities do consider the relative ranking and quality of the school you attended, they will be very impressed with your GCSE results as they are.

Well I would love to study at CalTec or University of Tokyo. Both of these are highly ranked universities.

I just feel like I'm already so behind when I attend college, it seems almost pointless me going because everyone seems to out-perform me. Is it unusual to feel completely out of your depth this far into AS?
Reply 3
Some Universities run access schemes, which are designed to take in to account the circumstances that are experienced by genuinely disadvantaged applicants. This considers not only the socio-economic profile of the school's catchment area, but also circumstances that are experienced by individuals, such as ill health or bereavement. This might result in the University modifying its typical offer for the person concerned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending