The Student Room Group

Can i do a PGCE if i have a Fashion Degree?

I am currently half way through a BA Honours degree in Fashion promotion, however after my degree I would like to do a PGCE in Primary education and become a teacher. Apparently it is not essential to have a degree in a national curriculum subject, however it is preferred, do you think any universities would accept me?
Original post by KSC1605
I am currently half way through a BA Honours degree in Fashion promotion, however after my degree I would like to do a PGCE in Primary education and become a teacher. Apparently it is not essential to have a degree in a national curriculum subject, however it is preferred, do you think any universities would accept me?

Have a look at uni's that do a primary PGCE and see the entry requirments and maybe contact some of the unis and ask.

I think you could do a PGCE in Secondary so you could teach D&T.

x
Reply 2
Original post by KSC1605

It's not essential to have a degree in a national curriculum based subject? Srs?! Would you describe 'Fashion Promotion' as a vocational subject? I think to get on a PGCE you would need an actual academic degree. Edit: Even if it wasn't required you'd struggle to get on such a competitive course when there are people with degrees in national curriculum subjects.

This is the first course I came across on google:

http://www.education.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/courses/pgceprimary/entryrequirments/

"Our preferred subjects are:

English (including Language, Literature or Combined)

Mathematics

Physics

Chemistry

Biology (including Human Biology)

Science

History

Geography

Art

PE

RE (including Theology)

ICT (including Computing)

Music

Psychology

Classics

Statistics

Modern Languages (including French, German and Spanish)

Techonology (including Food Technology and Design Teachnology)"
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on
Have a look at uni's that do a primary PGCE and see the entry requirments and maybe contact some of the unis and ask.

I think you could do a PGCE in Secondary so you could teach D&T.

x

What has design technology got to do with fashion promotion?
Reply 4
You could try Art and Design (Secondary), one of the universities say they accept students with degrees in;
studio-based art or design discipline. Normally preceded by art foundation course or BTEC diploma. If your degree is in fashion, film, photography, animation, product design, architecture, interior design, graphic communication, or any other design discipline, you must also have a foundation course. If your degree is not in a studio-based visual art and design discipline History of art/design, cultural studies, visual culture, media studies and combined studies degrees can only be considered where studio-based creative practice has formed at least 50 per cent of the programme, or where a foundation course in art and design has been followed prior to the degree course. If there was no practical art in your degree, and you did not complete a foundation course, we advise taking a foundation course before applying for the PGCE.

I know it's not what you're looking for but it would relate to your degree more. (sorry if this post doesn't actually help :o: )
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by KSC1605

Original post by KSC1605

My degree isn't a NC subject and I'm doing a Primary PGCE.

I was rejected from one university for primary because it wasn't in an NC subject but then told by another university that they'd consider my application for a secondary geography PGCE because my degree is very strongly linked to geography so I'd studied geography modules as well as having done it at A level.... so it totally depends on the university!

There are people on my course who have all sorts of totally unrelated to teaching degree backgrounds. Your degree subject doesn't define what kind of teacher you'll be :smile: Just do some research before you apply but be aware that they still might reject you for not having a NC subject even if they don't explicitly state that the degree must be a NC subject, as happened to me!
Reply 6
It's definitely a case of looking at unis you might be interested in and then contacting them to discuss it. They'll generally be helpful in advising you. Plus you have a little while yet to figure it out.

If you have good A-levels/other pre uni stuff and GCSEs then I don't see why it should be a definite no. If you are teaching primary children you aren't going to be teaching them degree level stuff, so it's more about showing your competence and ability. Experience with good references would help a lot too I guess!

Hope it goes ok :smile:
xxx
Original post by VeeBelle
What has design technology got to do with fashion promotion?

I must admit I did not notice the word promotion, I just thought it was a fashion design degree.
Reply 8
The quick answer is no. Switch to English, MAths, History or Geography. Then do the PGCE.
Reply 9
What is this Unis thing
Reply 10
Original post by kpwxx
It's definitely a case of looking at unis you might be interested in and then contacting them to discuss it. They'll generally be helpful in advising you. Plus you have a little while yet to figure it out.

If you have good A-levels/other pre uni stuff and GCSEs then I don't see why it should be a definite no. If you are teaching primary children you aren't going to be teaching them degree level stuff, so it's more about showing your competence and ability. Experience with good references would help a lot too I guess!

Hope it goes ok :smile:
xxx

Thank you giving up is not an option I'll try till I find something something will give eventually I appreciate all your advice guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending