The Student Room Group

Girls, why can I always feel my tampon?

Scroll to see replies

Try different brands. I find that I don't get on with tampax tampons but the Asda own brand ones are fine. They're all a bit different so give some others a try and see what you think. Other than that, like most people say, shove it in a bit further!
Reply 21
Can't you use pads?
Or are these just for beginners, btw I'm a boy, so I wouldn't really know...
lube on your tampon???

make sure you relax when you do it......and follow instruction in the box...

i couldn't do it when i first started but now i don't use anything but tampons because it's so natural now
Reply 23
Try applicator tampons, they are so much easier I find. Tampax do some ones with a plastic applicator which are really easy to use, and Lil lets are good too.
Maybe your not putting them in properly
Reply 25
Original post by ily_em
You say your fingers are touching your body, but is that using an applicator or a 'normal' tampon? If it's with an applicator then that's definitely far enough in, but if it's a plain tampon then you'll actually need to push in further with your fingers!!

Not sure why you need lube either as the blood should be enough :erm: Hints to me that you're not using applicator tampons as I imagine they would be smoother to put in?

No it's with the applicator. Too scared of the non-applicator ones lol! I feel so pathetic - like I fear my own vagina or something. I do hate blood though. I've been told to use lube plenty of times (I must have read every resource on how to put in tampons on the web) and it makes it easier. It just slides in without any of the 'burning' sensation (the same feeling when I pull it out which I always dislike.)

I don't like tampons but I just feel like I should be able to use them and it's just a useful skill :p: It was awful last year on holiday because it was boiling and I couldn't go in the sea, etc. Also, people always talk about how pads are disgusting and it makes me feel like a baby for using them :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by Anonymous
No it's with the applicator. Too scared of the non-applicator ones lol! I feel so pathetic - like I fear my own vagina or something. I do hate blood though. I've been told to use lube plenty of times (I must have read every resource on how to put in tampons on the web) and it makes it easier. It just slides in without any of the 'burning' sensation (the same feeling when I pull it out which I always dislike.)

I don't like tampons but I just feel like I should be able to use them and it's just a useful skill :p: It was awful last year on holiday because it was boiling and I couldn't go in the sea, etc. Also, people always talk about how pads are disgusting and it makes me feel like a baby for using them :s-smilie:

Don't feel like that; it's perfectly fine to use pads :hugs: If you do have issues like holidays, if you go to the doctor there is a tablet you can take to delay your period (can't remember the name!). I would suggest you keep trying with tampons if you like the convenience, just try to push them in a bit further than it says you should maybe? :erm:
Reply 27
Original post by Willum Infanta
That's what I was thinkin...surely that'd make it slide out again and not glue it in place.

Mmm Mm I love being in female threads :hubba:

No because the lube goes on the plastic applicator which you use to push the tampon into your body and then you pull it out and it goes in the bin. The tampon bit stays up there sans lube :smile:
No because the lube goes on the plastic applicator which you use to push the tampon into your body and then you pull it out and it goes in the bin. The tampon bit stays up there sans lube :smile:

*brain explodes*

I don't get this girl stuff. I'm leaving. :haughty:
Reply 29
Original post by TPS.
Can't you use pads?
Or are these just for beginners, btw I'm a boy, so I wouldn't really know...

I do use pads. Anyone can use them - not just beginners. But you can't swim with pads and tampons are allegedly more comfortable - especially on holiday.
Reply 30
What absorbancy are you using? If you're using an absorbancy that's too high for your flow then you're going to to feel it inside you. I know whenever I use a one that's too high for my flow I can always still feel it even if it is pushed in far enough. Have you tried using a lower absorbancy? Though I suppose if you've been trying to use them since you were 13 and you're 17 now then I assume you have tried different brands/absorbancy levels.

Also if you're a virgin then that could have something to do with it. You can use tampons even if you are a virgin; I've been using them long before I ever had sex, however I know someone who couldn't actually use them until after she'd had sex. No matter what brand/absorbancy she used she simply could not get them to work -- she either couldn't get them up properly or she always still felt them inside her. However after she had sex she could use them fine. She thinks because, psychologically, she knew that if something as big as a penis could fit in then something as small as a tampon easily could.
Reply 31
Original post by Jordyn
What absorbancy are you using? If you're using an absorbancy that's too high for your flow then you're going to to feel it inside you. I know whenever I use a one that's too high for my flow I can always still feel it even if it is pushed in far enough. Have you tried using a lower absorbancy? Though I suppose if you've been trying to use them since you were 13 and you're 17 now then I assume you have tried different brands/absorbancy levels.

Also if you're a virgin then that could have something to do with it. You can use tampons even if you are a virgin; I've been using them long before I ever had sex, however I know someone who couldn't actually use them until after she'd had sex. No matter what brand/absorbancy she used she simply could not get them to work -- she either couldn't get them up properly or she always still felt them inside her. However after she had sex she could use them fine. She thinks because, psychologically, she knew that if something as big as a penis could fit in then something as small as a tampon easily could.

I'm using the lowest absorbency (Tampax mini). I've actually only ever used Tampax but different types (Compak, Pearl, etc). I think I'm probably not pushing them in far enough but I don't know how to push them any higher :s-smilie: I'm using applicator and my fingers are pressed against my skin before I push it in properly. Either I have a long or short vagina, interfering hymen or I'm still just doing it completely wrong :p: Maybe I'll have to wait until after I have sex before I can use them (next lifetime then :wink: )
I'm using the lowest absorbency (Tampax mini). I've actually only ever used Tampax but different types (Compak, Pearl, etc). I think I'm probably not pushing them in far enough but I don't know how to push them any higher :s-smilie: I'm using applicator and my fingers are pressed against my skin before I push it in properly. Either I have a long or short vagina, interfering hymen or I'm still just doing it completely wrong :p: Maybe I'll have to wait until after I have sex before I can use them (next lifetime then :wink: )

I can only ever feel mine when I haven't pushed it up high enough... I started using them when I was 12 (and a virgin), and the first couple of times were uncomfortable because I could feel it...

If you can still feel the tampon internally, try just pressing the outside of that area after you've put it in, if you can physically feel it sticking out slightly with your hand then it's definitely NOT in far enough. If that's the case, put a little bit of lube on your finger, and try gently pushing it up further with your finger. Maybe you should try the non-applicator tampons, because it gives you far more control on how far you push the tampon in.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Tampon
The entire tampon must be higher than your pubic bone or it will be uncomfortable. That sounds counter intuitive, but it's true

http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/tampon.html

The pics on that link ^^^ show that the tampon should be fairly high up. It's kind of impossible to push the tampon up too far, so if you've inserted on and it's uncomfortable, try pushing it up gently even further until you can't feel it.
Reply 33
I do use pads. Anyone can use them - not just beginners. But you can't swim with pads and tampons are allegedly more comfortable - especially on holiday.

Ahhhhh.
I see now.
Why doesn't the OP just use pads...
Reply 34
Original post by TPS.
Ahhhhh.
I see now.
Why doesn't the OP just use pads...

I am the OP and I do use pads? :confused: :p:
It took me YEARS to be able to use tampons. I tried a billion times when I was a teenager, before and after I had lost my virginity. I think after I lost it I felt more comfortable, probably because I had learned to relax the muscles there more (plus I'd had bigger things there so suddenly a tampon didn't seem so big :colone:). The first time I did I used the Tampax lite, or mini, or whatever they're called. Like you the first/second day of my period made it easier. Squatting slightly and taking some deep breaths will help!

Saying that if you're using the lowest absorbency, have pushed the applicator right up until your fingers touch your body then removed the applicator and you're still feeling it then like some others have said, it may just be your anatomy. Wouldn't worry, maybe a visit to your nearest gyno clinic would help? The nurses there might be able to give you some advice.
Reply 36

I had the same problem as you, but then I tried lil' ets with the applicators. They're really short and expand outwards instead of lengthways, so I've found you can't feel them at all!
I had no idea the suffering that girls went through. Seriously, I feel sorry for you. I will never EVER make a PMS/period joke again.
I've always found non-applicator onces to be better; I once used an applicator one and it was a disaster. The non-applicator ones (or at least lilets/ob) expand outwards, so they're a lot smaller to get in and there isn't so much of a leaking risk!
I only use OB which are quite stiff, and I only feel them when they're not deep enough and at the right angle. They're supposed to go : back and then up.

Btw, anyone know what brand is the closest to OB? I found that OB don't sell in the UK and Tampax are plain disgusting, they have no shape and stiffness and just look like a re-re-re-recyled thing.

Quick Reply

Latest