The Student Room Group

Come forth all glasses wearers !

If given the choice would you get laser eye surgery?

And if you have, how has it impacted your life now?

I wear glasses all the time, from when I wake up in the morning to when I go to sleep at night. I used to think that I would want to get laser eye surgery, but now I'm not too sure.

I wore contacts for a couple of months but once they ran out I didn't bother to get anymore.

One thing that I do wear contacts for though is swimming, and sports wear it's difficult to wear glasses.

So do you like wearing glasses, or hate it with a passion?

I've come to love mine, however the constant pushing them up my nose, and everything being blury when I look up does get tiresome.:redface:

No lens-less or non presciption glasses wearers allowed.:colone:
These are my current ones:

Thoughts...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wait, Who said that?
Reply 2
Lasers and eyes - doesn't sound like a great combination.
Reply 3
Girls who wear glasses are hot. :smile:

Not those faggy glasses that cover your face though.
(edited 13 years ago)
I love my glasses, I wear them all the time apart from when I'm asleep or nights out!

They cover up my under-eye bags in the morning and emphasise my eyes =D WIN WIN =D
I have NHS prescription ones :sexface:.
Reply 6
I don't mind wearing glasses, but I wish I didn't have to wear them. My eyesight is getting quite rapidly worse. I will def. get laser surgery in a few years time. My mum had it 10 years ago and her eyes are still great!
I am a contact lens wearer for about 2 and a half years now and I love them far too much :s-smilie:

I would most definitely getting laser surgery. My dad who is an eye surgeon reccommended it if I hate glasses with a passion which I do so once I reach the recommended age (he says 21) I'm defo getting it done!
I know this sounds very shallow but I just didn't feel very pretty in it and glasses on my face shape made it look a lot chubbier than it actually is.

Contact lenses are comfy and a lot more practical than glasses but they tend to be a bit of a pain what with the meticulous regime they go through :rolleyes:
Reply 8
I wear them! I like the ones I have now, I went through my teen years in shockingly disgusting deidre barlowesque(sp) frames but the ones I have now are pretty nice actually. I wear contacts when I go out though, but if I'm staying home or just a day to day basis, I wear my glasses. I used to wear my contacts allllllll the time, but I gave up when I got pregnant cos they hurt my eyes more and I never really got back into wearing them a lot. I think that's mainly because newborn + night feeds = tired and tired eyes + contacts = pain.
I can't have laser eye surgery cos my eyes are wrecked, I have keratoconus (cone shaped corneas) and a really bad astigmatism, maybe in the future I could have it done but not anytime soon. Thing is, with keratoconus contact lenses are recommended 9the harder type ones) cos they force your cornea into the round shape. My left eye is really bad and in glasses I can't actually see out of my left eye alone, it's a big blur. I still hardly wear lenses though, it's too much hassle
I'd love to be able to see without glasses or contacts. I hate the vulnerable feeling when you wake up and can't locate your glasses. I'm also ridiculously short sighted so I'm not great at finding them if they have fallen off my bedside table. I have had to get someone else to find them for me on numerous occasions and it does just make me feel vulnerable!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Glennith
Wait, Who said that?

Said what?:K:
Reply 10
I don't feel very confident when wearing my glasses. Laser eye surgery looks a little scary!
Up until I managed to somehow break them...they were a necessary evil in my life. Now, sans glasses, sitting in the front three rows of a lecture is now a necessity; sitting in the back is no longer a luxury :frown: I really need to get me a new pair in the two weeks I'm back home for Christmas (unlikely considering half those days are going to be weekends/holidays for everyone!)

Lasering, no thanks. My dad had it done, and while he can drive without glasses now, he still uses reading glasses. I'll stick to being short-sighted thanks. As I say to everyone "I don't really need to see what's waaaaaaaay over there anyway..."
I was first prescribed two years ago, and whilst I have very mild myopia and I can still see most things with my glasses off, the first time I put them on I did spend marvel at everything I saw on my way home like some drug addict :ahee:. However, I'm not too fond of my current pair as the rims on the top obscure my vision, and being transitions lenses they make me look like a right tit in winter when the sun's barely out and my glasses are solid black. Next pair I get will be rimless and definitely not transitions . . .

Would I consider laser eye surgery? Definitely, but out of the two correctional operations I would have done (one being eyes, other being teeth), it's not very important to compared to getting my teeth fixed. Glasses suit my face really, really well and I think I would look worse without them; I wouldn't wear glasses if I didn't need to, lens-less or non-corrective glasses are retarded. Of course, being able to see everything when I put my glasses on after getting out of the shower would be nice, too, as would being able to see things on a rainy day without wiping my glasses every other minute. I dunno, it depends, but for now I'm happy with my glasses :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
Bloody hell no to laser eye surgery. It's fine as long as your prescription remains stable (which mine doesn't; almost twenty years old and still rapidly deteriorating), but the minute it changes again, you may as well not have bothered.

I quite like my glasses (always refused contact lenses), but I have to have the right frames - I'm quite sensitive to objects in my periphery, so thick frames don't work because I can see them too much, and I have nose problems, so they need to be light.
I like wearing glasses. :smile:

Even though I only have the cheap ones. :awesome:
I totally need new ones too, the ones I'm wearing are from the prescription before last, as my proper ones broke and I can't afford more. I need to wait for my loan to come through in January, then, hopefully, I'll be able to actually see properly again.

I would never get eye surgery. My boyfriend had it and from his description of it, I am pretty sure I would have a panic attack of some kind. I just couldn't cope with the procedure. My eyes aren't too bad anyway... yet.
He's glad he had it though, but his eyesight was terrible before it.
Reply 15
I remember when I got my first glasses (age 10ish) I was the coolest girl in school and all the kids were jealous haha. I still like m, but I usually wear contacts these days. (Which I hate, I always manage to get them dirty because I'm really clumsy when it comes to applying mascara)

The thought of lasering my eyes really petrifies me, even though I know a bunch of people who had their eyes lasered without any problems (they all did it in either turkey or syria)
Reply 16
Original post by TheSownRose
Bloody hell no to laser eye surgery. It's fine as long as your prescription remains stable (which mine doesn't; almost twenty years old and still rapidly deteriorating), but the minute it changes again, you may as well not have bothered.

I quite like my glasses (always refused contact lenses), but I have to have the right frames - I'm quite sensitive to objects in my periphery, so thick frames don't work because I can see them too much, and I have nose problems, so they need to be light.

You can't get lasered until your prescription has been stable for something like 4/5 years anyway. i see what you're saying though, but I think they generally like to make sure it's unlikely your prescription is going to change anytime soon before they do anything. So if your eyesight keeps oni deteriorating, you wouldn't be able to get it done anyways
Original post by CoffeeStinks
If given the choice would you get laser eye surgery?

And if you have, how has it impacted your life now?

I wear glasses all the time, from when I wake up in the morning to when I go to sleep at night. I used to think that I would want to get laser eye surgery, but now I'm not too sure.

I wore contacts for a couple of months but once they ran out I didn't bother to get anymore.

One thing that I do wear contacts for though is swimming, and sports wear it's difficult to wear glasses.

So do you like wearing glasses, or hate it with a passion?

I've come to love mine, however the constant pushing them up my nose, and everything being blury when I look up does get tiresome.:redface:

No lens-less or non presciption glasses wearers allowed.:colone:
These are my current ones:

Thoughts...

Ive been wearing glasses since i was about 8 and started wearing contacts when i was 16. I think there are both positives and negatives for wearing both. I quite like wearing my glasses because i think they suit me but then also wearing contacts give me an alternative and i look quite different with them.

i have considered having laser eye surgery, and know some people that have had it. In the long run i think it would definetly be worth it.
x
Original post by alibobs
You can't get lasered until your prescription has been stable for something like 4/5 years anyway. i see what you're saying though, but I think they generally like to make sure it's unlikely your prescription is going to change anytime soon before they do anything. So if your eyesight keeps oni deteriorating, you wouldn't be able to get it done anyways

Oh yeah, I know that. However, just because there was stability doesn't mean it'll last. It won't last forever anyway - you'll start becoming presbyopic in your forties, so that's laser surgery gone to waste - and people can start going down for lots of reasons. For example, someone already myopic changes job to one where they're doing a lot of close work. It could cause their myopia to decline.

I don't see it stabilising soon; I'm still on a one year recall because, even though they did trial a two year, I was going back every year anyway and saying my prescription had changed. I was never wrong. :wink:
Original post by Purple Haze
In the long run i think it would definetly be worth it.
x

How long are we talking here?

Quick Reply

Latest