The Student Room Group

Abercrombie/Hollister/Jack Wills

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bella Occhi
Got a link? :biggrin:

You have to be invited... :/ Get a JW account, use their forum loads and you should get invited. :biggrin:
Original post by Summergirl.x
no, now you're just being ignorant. go to a party where everyone is of private school education and you'll all find them wearing it. they aren't "appearing to be rich" they are rich.

I've been to private school and kept in the same sort of circles after I left, and that's precisely why I wouldn't want to wear any of those brands- wearing the same clothes as everyone else seems silly when I could get something equally nice from the high street. Also I can't justify the cost to myself.
Reply 42
Original post by lukas1051
Rich kids all wear the same boring clothes? LOL, you'd think they could afford to dress how they want, not like a clone. Boy, I hope I never become one of those posh t***s

but boring is subjective. these brands aren't boring. i never see people turn up in the same item of clothes - not even in a different colour. It's just your opinion if you think that its boring - just like I think that the tops in topman are boring.
Reply 43
Original post by Holly Hiskey
I've been to private school and kept in the same sort of circles after I left, and that's precisely why I wouldn't want to wear any of those brands- wearing the same clothes as everyone else seems silly when I could get something equally nice from the high street. Also I can't justify the cost to myself.

yeah im not saying they all wear it.. and it's your own opinion whether you like it or not for yourself, nothing against that :smile: just to judge other people who wear it discretely is wrong.
Reply 44
I own Jack Wills hoodie simply cos I liked the way it has "JACK" in big letters accross the front (just Jack, no Wills) and thats my name so I find it quite funny to wear :biggrin:
no, now you're just being ignorant. go to a party where everyone is of private school education and you'll all find them wearing it. they aren't "appearing to be rich" they are rich.

Actually around where i live... the brand of choice seems to be ralph lauren.
yeah im not saying they all wear it.. and it's your own opinion whether you like it or not for yourself, nothing against that :smile: just to judge other people who wear it discretely is wrong.

No more than judging someone as a chav for wearing a tracksuit or whatever. We always judge people by their appearances: someone who looks scruffy will be judged as lazy, someone wearing head to toe addidas with huge hoop earrings might been seen as the type of person who would shop lift, and people wearing Jack Wills tend to be seen as identikit rah kids with more money than sense (not my words, those of my friend)
Reply 48
Original post by adam0311
The US equivalent of chavs have taken over Abercrombie as well. Now the majority of people that wear A&F are either rednecks, white trash, or pre-teens. A lot of the internationals (mainly chinese/korean and indian) wear AF to school. I think the last time I ever wore something produced by AF was 6 years ago. Now I just wear ralph lauren. Although, hollister makes some solid jeans.

I agree, and I also find it ridiculous how expensive AF is in the UK compared to America.
Reply 49

RL is good :smile: It's like still rare in Cambridge - but that's because nowhere stocks womens RL clothes!! :frown: Soo annoying.!

What about the internet?

Original post by cloud17
I agree, and I also find it ridiculous how expensive AF is in the UK compared to America.

Yeah, I read an article awhile back where they were comparing clothing in UK stores to US stores. Basically everything was doubled in price. It's ridiculous as I find the US prices to be way overpriced as they are. Polos are like $54 here. I much prefer RL and can usually pick those polos up for between $30 and $40. Plus there's no reason to pay $54 for an AF polo that rednecks wear. Fortunately RL has done a good job keeping their brand strong.

If you really wanted to get creative and buy A&F clothes. Go to there US website through a proxy. Without the proxy it'll redirect you back to the UK site, but with a proxy it'll allow you to order. Shipping might be a bit expensive, but I imagine it would still be cheaper, especially if you are buying multiple pieces of clothing.
Reply 50
Original post by adam0311
What about the internet?

They do an online UK shop. I don't think. Well last time I looked I didn't think so. I'd rather go to London to buy it tbh.
Reply 51
I Love all three, i must admitt they are expensive but i love it! I live quite close to a Hollister and they always have a clearance section, i've found quite a few gems in there for half the price, bargin!
Reply 52
Saw a thread about them being fake or whatever. So thought I'd turn this thread into a debate for people to let out their opinions on the brands.
Would you wear it?
Do you agree with the price?

Personally I love them. The quality is amazing - shut up for people who say it isn't - I still wear the stuff I brought like over 3 years ago - and yeah it's still in fashion because the clothes are timeless. :smile:

But a pet hate, is someone who wears the name of the shop in capitol letters right across their top/hoodie/trackies when they aren't even do sport at the time. It's clearly the only item they own.

IMO.

Jack Wills Aberdeen :rolleyes:- amazing Christmas Decorations btw and a really beutiful spacious store which is very relaxing and bright and nice, freindly staff! :wink:, but really expensive for anyone who isnt from Oxford or Cambidge :tongue:.

Hollister Aberdeen. Its great price and good quality :smile: but really crowded for tills and changing rooms and also heavilly prefumed and loud music to the point where u cant talk to anyone and they shout that stupid phrase/tag line every time you come in like seagulls on the beach/coast. Plus the staff look so attractive it puts me off going regurally as I feel inferior :colondollar:.

Abercrombie-really expensive in the UK :confused: and also Hollister do the same stuff for much less.
Reply 53
I like how most of the Jack Wills items with "Fabulously British" or whatever emblazoned all over are actually made in China for about £1.20 a pop.
chavs do wear jw... it makes them think they look rich :') but when your hair is obviously dyed, straightened and a TON of makeup and then you have JACK WILLS hoodie and fake uggs (or real if they have a lucky xmas pressie) then it just looks funny :')

are you actually that stuck up?

They have every right to wear it, as do you.
£40 for a hoody isn't expensive??? What planet do you live on?

Compared to the price of A and F hoodies it isn't!! Earth is the planet I live on also. I'd say £40 is average, if you go to A and F, Crew, JW, Ralph Lauren, Superdry you'll be paying more..?
i love all three brands, and I can afford all three so i buy from all three. today i have a job interview at jack wills kings road and i am actually giddy with excitement. haters gonna hate :hand:
Reply 57
I have seen quite a few A&F hoodies that I like, but too expensive cuz I'm a cheapskate :wink:

My sisters love A&F and Hollister so whenever my parents go on holiday to America they always bring back lots of those clothes because they're a lot cheaper there (especially if they are from the clearance racks) I've not really ever been interested in the clothes.
There is nothing about JW/A+F that appeals to me. The clothes are boring and generic. They are not 'classic' pieces either :lolwut:
Reply 59
Unfortunately I saw a pikey wearing a Jack Wills shirt (haircut was a give away) and now I can't ever be seen at Jack Wills...

I kid of course, well at least about the second part, I did actually see a pikey wearing a hoodie that said 'JACK [EFFIN] WILLS 22' on it. I was a bit blown away but oh well, takes all sorts.

I do love the quality of Jack Wills. Can't beat good old British anything. In that sense the price can be justified, unfortunately you and I both know they're making a 400% profit on their clothes as most of their money goes into marketing. They make very nice blazers, pajamas and henley shirts. I can't say I'd buy anything else there though. I did buy underwear once but they fell apart in the wash :frown: The pajamas are getting a bit ridiculous, I bought my girlfriend a pair as a gift in April and I was contemplating selling a kidney on the black market after that. Besides, they're just PAJAMAS, who cares if you're wearing Chanel or Primark :P

Though the jackets are gorgeous, I've never bought one. Those who aren't in possession of either mum or dad's credit card would be hard pressed to afford one. In the past I have saved up only to give up on the idea of buying a jacket I may only wear for one season. They do seem very well made and comfortable though. I eventually bought a similar thing from Aubin & Wills when it went on sale. Never happens with Jack Wills though, all the nice blazers are sold out after about 2 weeks.

As for Abercrombie/Hollister (same difference if you ask me) I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Overpriced and bad quality. Flagship store in London SMELLS like a brothel, feels like a gigolo pad once you get to the front door. Lighting is awful, so awful that you can't even tell what colour the polo shirt you've got in your hand is. More than enough wannabes in this world thanks. If I've got the extra cash and I'm feeling a bit pretentious, I'll be sticking to British stuff :biggrin:

Those who feel so negatively about these types of labels . Calm down it's only clothing. The extreme ones with the partings that start from their underarms will eventually hopefully - grow up and maybe even give up their parents credit card... once they get married.

N.B.

No flaming me about hating Americans. I went to several prep schools in New England and the Tri-State area. I love America and I would never say that I hate preps or rahs (that's like caste racism) but Aberllistereagle is just bad quality with a high pricetag.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply