The Student Room Group

Abercrombie/Hollister/Jack Wills

Scroll to see replies

The only people I know that wear these horrific brands are pretentious idiots with no individuality.
Furthermore, any shop that has a "looks" criteria with regards to employment doesn't have my respect.

No offence or anthing :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Lot's of Jack Wills gillets going around lately.
Reply 62
Original post by CountMancula
Lot's of Jack Wills gillets going around lately.

I think wearing a gilet (any brand) if you're not horse riding, farming etc always looks a bit silly. Why buy a coat with no arms haha.
Reply 63
I'm going to say they're overpriced but that's because I'm not into fashion so I see almost all branded products as overpriced. The only clothing I spend a lot of money on is sports clothing, so for me that would be hiking, climbing & running. New walking boots cost around £120 for instance, I could probably get an unbranded product for half that price but it wouldn't be as good.

The thing about Jack Wills is you pay a huge amount for the name, and fashion prestige that goes with it. So for someone who's into fashion it's probably worth it, for others definitely not.

You're looking for different things. If I buy a North Face jacket, I'm buying it because their waterproofing & other technologies are superior. If you buy a Jack Wills hoodie you aren't buying it because you want to be warmer (you could get a non branded one for that), you're buying it because you think it looks good and its fashionable.

Depends what your priorities are, personally I can't afford to spend so much on my clothing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Summergirl.x
They've done the first lot of interviews. They send the photos of you off to Hollister HQ in America and the managers decide based on your looks, so it's 100% looks. The job isn't actually that good tbh, because you're employed on a 0 hours per month contract, they employ about 300 staff or more, so you're lucky to get more than about 2 hours work a month. You've got to call all the guys that work there "dude" and all the girls "betty". You're told to loose weight if they don't agree with your figure. You can't have unnatural dyed hair and only ears pierced once. They are allowed to do all this legally because you are employed as a store model and not a shop worker. I know all this because several of my friends have been offered a job there. Tbh, I wouldn't want to work there.

that actually sounds awful!
Reply 65
Original post by FutureMedic!
But they don't?? End of.

That's subjective.

You haven't given a proper reason for hating JW wearers, and you sound very bitter and jealous. "People were it to show off" no, we don't. I've never looked through a clothing rack, mentally thinking 'No, I can't buy this, the logo can't be seen from 12ft away... :/", I buy the clothes because I like them. You probably just can't afford it. :wink:
Reply 66
I have a couple of Hollister t-shirts, and they are really comfy and soft, but my friend bought them when she went to America so they worked out pretty cheap. Wouldn't go out of my way to buy it again (there isn't one where I live), but if I was near a shop I would pop in as they're quite reasonably priced for their hoodies etc.
Reply 67
Original post by .Ali.
That's subjective.

You haven't given a proper reason for hating JW wearers, and you sound very bitter and jealous. "People were it to show off" no, we don't. I've never looked through a clothing rack, mentally thinking 'No, I can't buy this, the logo can't be seen from 12ft away... :/", I buy the clothes because I like them. You probably just can't afford it. :wink:

What you just said is exactly the reason why people tend to associate Jack Wills clothing with stuck up idiots.
Reply 68
Wear what you want. Stop watching others...
Reply 69
Original post by amizzle91
What you just said is exactly the reason why people tend to associate Jack Wills clothing with stuck up idiots.

I didn't say anything remotely stuck up.
Jack Wills looks like the sort of thing I used to see on the racks in Peacocks in 2003. Its wearers tend to be some of the scruffiest looking people on the streets and had someone not pointed it out to me that Jack Wills costs a bomb (despite being made in China for pennies) I'd have honestly thought that it was the latest chav brand.
Reply 71
My favorite thing is the way how i dont need to think for myself when i buy it. It all looks the same, so i dont need to think or make difficult decisions. I suppose in this way its a good reflection of my personality...

Also, it costs alot of money. I dont want to be seen dead in any "working class" clothes.
:biggrin:

But seriously, i hate the way poor people think they can start wearing rich brands. I personally think they should just stick to primark and tat like that. Daddy didn't inherit all that money for me to spend just to see sh*tmunchers wear these brands.
Reply 72
Original post by .Ali.
I didn't say anything remotely stuck up.

"You're just jealous" :facepalm: Why would anyone be jealous of it?
It's not that special, you act like its made from spun gold... more like the sweat and tears of sweatshop workers- like every other clothing brand.
Reply 73
Original post by amizzle91
"You're just jealous" :facepalm: Why would anyone be jealous of it?
It's not that special, you act like its made from spun gold... more like the sweat and tears of sweatshop workers- like every other clothing brand.

How was that stuck up? Calling someone jealous isn't stuck up.

They would be jealous because they can't have it for various reasons, maybe that they can't afford it, it doesn't look right on them, or whatever.

Actually, it's much better quality than most brands. Try out something from there before you criticise.
Original post by .Ali.
That's subjective.

First things first... you don't know anything about me. Secondly, you sound like a complete and utter ****. Oh and yeah.... it's not jack wills wearers i dislike, it's people like YOU i dislike. Just so happens people like yourself all seem to wear that sorta crap.
(edited 13 years ago)
I have a jumper from about three years ago with Wills across the front, that was when people were just getting started with it. I really like the skirts, the jeans have awkward sizing and yeah the prices are horrendous so I only buy in the sales. I couldn't spend £89 on a skirt, even if it's good quality.
Reply 76
I don't have any issue with the clothes, but I have issues with some of the people who wear them :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hollister is hardly expensive. The other are, though.
Reply 78
you act like its made from spun gold... more like the sweat and tears of sweatshop workers- like every other clothing brand.

Amizzle, ive run out of rep. But you would be getting it if i had some....
Reply 79
Original post by FutureMedic!
First things first... you don't know anything about me. Secondly, you sound like a complete and utter ****. Oh and yeah.... it's not jack wills wearers i dislike, it's people like YOU i dislike.

Bit rude. :wink: You don't know anything about Jack Wills wearers, yet you judge them. Funny how you don't like it when it's done back to you isn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest