The Student Room Group

Why do British girls do stupid subjects?

Why do so many British girls insist on doing easier and 'stupid' subjects at degree level?

If you look at the number of girls doing easier subjects such as History, English, and many other art subjects, and compare it to the amount of women doing sciences, I find it hard to believe that man and women really are equal. There is such a minority of women doing sciences that bursaries are being given out to attract women to do these courses, yet women claim they are just as smart as men. Really? Then why the fear of a degree that is hard?

Now I do specifically say British women for a reason as many of the few women who do real subjects are actually foreign, especially when it comes to post grads. Also, these women are not your typical sweaty, overweight, spotty, nerdy, basement dwelling British female science post grads, but instead refined and glamours ladies.

Why is this?

Why do attractive British women give up at the first sign of academic challenge but foreign women do not? Is there some social stigma for doing well? Or do most of you lack the ability to think a few years down the line and realise that a BSc in something such as physics will get you much further then a BA in something like History? :rolleyes:

(Yes, as always this is a generalisation and there will be some attractive and normal British girls doing these subjects)

Scroll to see replies

i'm just gonna walk in here.. i'll let you find out what course i'm doing :colone:
Dont bother replying saying "History and English are on par with the sciences" because it will fall on deaf ears.
I plan to do Pharmacy. I still enjoy History and Drama and stuff, but the careers with those mean I'd be less likely to get a job. How silly of me(!) Your nationalism and sexism irritates me. A lot of the girls I know plan to go into Law or some sort of Engineering. Or Medicine. Some of the others want to be Nurses or Social Workers, what's wrong with any of these careers?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Why do bigots make generalizations?
oh. I do all arts subjects and I'm male. :frown: I fail at life.
Reply 6
Original post by Jimbo1234
Why do so many British girls insist on doing easier and 'stupid' subjects at degree level?

If you look at the number of girls doing easier subjects such as History, English, and many other art subjects, and compare it to the amount of women doing sciences.

This is madness I am doing a Joint Geography-Hitsory MA and personaly I think that I should be able to get a job with that in the future after I achive my degree. These are not stupid subjects, grow up.
Reply 7
wow really??
Reply 8
The majority of my course is female.
It is Biology- the 'girly' science, but a science nonetheless.
Reply 9
Who says the sciences are easier than history/english? I know they are always thought to be, but I've always found science much easier :wink:
Reply 10
Are you for real?
Reply 11
The forums biggest women hater strikes again! Don't you have anything else to do?

I can hear the sad violins playing in the background.
:lolwut:

Two of my female friends study Medicine, one at Birmingham and another at Cambridge. Another is studying Physics at Oxford. Others are at Imperial, UCL and many other respected universities.

Nationally, there is a 60:40 split in Universities between females:males.

So OP, it is safe to conclude that not only is your point utterly ridiculous, but you must have had little to no female contact before casting the judgement.

Not that I'm left wondering why, in any case... :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
possibly because they have more interest in those subjects. duh?
Reply 14
They do it so people will remark on it, which will lead to said people getting told off.
You really, really hate us. Jesus.

History and English degrees are important. To teach either of these subjects at secondary level, you need a degree. English is a compulsory subject at GCSE, and as we all know, those who do not learn history are condemned to repeat it, so if we didn't have history degrees, we would probably have another holocaust or something.
Reply 16
Original post by Law123mus
I bet your mothers **** smells of Surströmming!

You tell me, I wouldn't know.
Reply 17
I'm doing science :smile: But my course is really male dominated. There are about 4 boys to every girl :colone:
history and english ARE on par with sciences. I have to self study in the library for 5 hours a day (on top of my lectures, and readings for tutorials) whereas scientists are spoon fed all their information in seminars and labs. My boyfriend does physics and he admits this: after labs and lectures he does very little and is on course for a high two one. After lectures (of which there arent many admittedly) I am in the libarry until late, we have an essay a week to write and thats not counting tutorials.

history and english are subjects that encourage you to work independantly and think for yourself, and I think pretty much every employer would agree with me. I got a job at KPMG and interview for rolls royce on monday because as an arts student I think creatively as well as analyticlaly and logically.

Christs sake get over yourself.
Reply 19
Original post by CharlieBee_90
You really, really hate us. Jesus.

History and English degrees are important. To teach either of these subjects at secondary level, you need a degree. English is a compulsory subject at GCSE, and as we all know, those who do not learn history are condemned to repeat it, so if we didn't have history degrees, we would probably have another holocaust or something.

Hahaha. Get in.

Latest

Trending

Trending