The Student Room Group

Anyone here attend a UK university (as an undergrad) who is from America?

I know that there are quite a lot of American's doing graduate studies in the UK, but what about undergrad studies?

I ask this because I plan to apply through UCAS next year for undergrad studies, but am worried about the disadvantages that come from applying as an international, whether the disadvantages be known or unknown.

What is known is that it costs more to attend; that is a given. What I do not know is—and I have looked around for the answer to no avail—if UK universities offer student loans to American students.

This is probably the biggest factor. I do not mind if I have to pay off a hundred-thousand pounds over several years; I do mind if I can't get a loan however.

I am not rich, so it seems that no student loan would mean I wouldn't be able to afford it, which would mean my plain is foiled.

Another unknown to me is if their is a lesser chance of getting accepted as an American based off of the fact that our AP courses (which, most UK universities accept in the place of A-levels) are easier. The highest AP we have for math, AP Calculus BC, doesn't even go into multi variable calc, yet Further Maths has things such as linear algebra, topology, complex numbers, et cetera.

These are just some basic worries I have had for a while. I've been on many university websites, and read all the information regarding international students, but I still feel as if I am missing some information.

For the sake of clarity, universities that I would like to apply to are Oxford (naturally), UCL, Imperial CL, St. Andrews, and I still haven't decided the last spot (it will likely be an average-above average uni that is easier to get into than the other super-competitive ones). And yes, I of course have a few American schools as a backup plan.

So, if you are (or know) an American who is, or has, been to a UK university for undergraduate studies, any information on how the process went, and possible answers to my questions would be appreciated.

Of course, I would appreciate any information from anyone, it does not need to be a personal account; anything will be helpful.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Your chance of getting the answers you want is so much better on this forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=117.
I met a guy doing Medicine who was from New York... he said because it was cheaper, even with international fees :redface:

I'm pretty sure you won't get a loan from Student Finance like UK students do, though. Any international students I know are funded from their home country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending