The Student Room Group

mature needing help

Hello,im 34 and a single mum,have both children at school from next september and i have been thinking about what im going to do...i would LIKE to go do an access course for a year then do occupational therapy which would hopefully be at Cardiff university (the nearest to me that does it) its an hour n half on train away from me. Am just looking for any advice really?? Is it do-able? I think i would be better doing it part time (four years)..any mature single mums that have juggled family life and uni on here that could tell me anything?? thanks for reading xx
Reply 1
Hi Marie,

Firstly, I definitely believe in the age-old saying that anything is possible, so long as you are dedicated enough - as a single mother of two, I expect it will be that bit more challenging, knackering and time-consuming but definitely possible! :biggrin:

There are different things you could look into - even though both children will be starting school you may need extra childcare help either side of the school day, so breakfast clubs and after-school clubs might be a big help. You might be able to get help with those costs from the childcare grant and parent learning allowance...the student finance website has more details about those, and will need looking into for your year of entry thanks to the ConDems.

For your year of entry to uni after the access course, you should be able to get the funding to cover part-time study, and tbh, that might be a more manageable route to allow you to fit study and travel around your kiddies - I was rather shocked to learn that some lectures can start as late as 5pm :eek: which is a nightmare for all parents!

I'd recommend speaking to Cardiff about their entry requirements if you haven't already to confirm that the access course you're looking to study is an acceptable route onto your chosen course.

There are also grants and the like that could help with the access course fees and any childcare you may need to study that too...they are largely via th colleges directly though. Many access courses can also be studied part time if the full time option may be a bit too demanding.

Good luck with everything, hope I've helped a little :smile:
Reply 2
Thats a wonderful help thank you! :smile: Im so glad ive found this forum! Yes i think you are fight,i have looked at the course info in more depth on the cardiff site and part time over 4 years looks much more managable..it says in fact its AIMED at the mature student..it also says that the access course is accepted but i will check further. Good point about the before and after school hours,i cant believe you had some lectures starting at 5pm :frown: thats def something for me to bear in mind...do you think that cardiff would be able to give me more info on hours/days etc now while im in the planning stage or is it a case of just waiting till i start?
Did you do the access course? over a year or two? All this info is really helping me,thank-you :smile:
Reply 3
No probs :wink: It was one of my mature friends who went to uni this September who was telling me about the 5pm lectures and some of the childcare problems she's had with her two kiddies - I have two children of my own, so it was a big heads up for me as I'm applying for uni to start in September 2011 and trying to sort the logistics myself :redface:

I completed an Access to HE in combined studies from 2009-10 and on a gap year this year trying to plan relocating - schools, house, employment, etc. I thought that would be the sane option instead of trying to do it all over the Summer!

I did it in a year but it was really hard work...I managed to get distinctions in all my assignments but it was a result of a fair few all-nighters and a few tears along the way. It was difficult trying to juggle housework and childcare with studying full time, but the college paid 50% of my childcare fees for my youngest and my daughter was already at school which helped loads. I think the best advice would be to try and study as much as you can during college hours if the kiddies are in childcare and the rest of the studying then has to be squished in with housework after they're in bed. One of my friends from last year started full-time, but by Xmas she was finding it a bit too demanding - the college were fab and let her swap to part time...so she studied the Level 2 subjects (Core Maths Core English, Core IT) but has gone back to finish her Level 3 subjects this year (Study Skills, Psychology and something else that I can't remember:colondollar: ). Have to say though, I remember my tutor saying that uni was nowhere near as demanding as an Access Course :s-smilie:

Cardiff may be able to give you a 'typical' timetable (some unis give these out on open days) to give you an idea of how full on it will be, although most of the time is taken up out of lectures with further reading etc. I've applied to study full-time at uni over three years, but hopefully I can find housing within walking distance of both the primary school and uni to reduce travelling times at both ends of the day.

It's great that Cardiff accept the Access to HE - I'd speak to them about whether they are asking for particular grades from your Access Course - for example, some unis might ask for Merits or Distinctions in specific units but others might ask for 30% Distinction or just state 'Pass the Access Course' and also whether you need to study a specific pathway (e.g. nursing).
Reply 4
Goodness...I'm starting to feel a little terrified of the Access Course!! :/ Well I will have both children in school and I have very little social life anyway,and am easily persuaded to do a little less in the way of housework :biggrin: spoke to the lady who runs the access course yesterday and she said about 15 or so hours in college (mostly 10-2) then same amount of hours home study..does that sound about right? She was really helpful and said that the previous role ive had (in a mental health setting) would be definitely in my favour,she also said to get in touch with them NOW and just kind of make myself known...(pester them!!) and say what my plans are and ask if theres anything in particular i could now to stand me in good stead. All good advice. You sound like you are doing things much more sensibly than me..I actually did relocate (100 miles) and had to sort housing and 2 new schools and the actual move itself in the school summer holidays!!! Moved to be closer to family and both children have settled well,which is why if it came to it and I didnt get into Cardiff I really dont know what I'd do as i really wouldnt want to move again and disrupt them all over again so soon,but I will deal with that scenario if it happens..which it won't because I WILL get into Cardiff!!!!! :smile: Doing it over 4 years apparantly requires you to be in lectures ONE day a week (a very 'full on' day) and theres placement weeks as well obviously which will require even more sorting with childcare...
What are you studying and where have you applied to??
Reply 5
Definitely didn't mean to scare you :frown: The Access Course has been one of the best years of my life!!! I made some fabulous friends for life and have grown so much as a person - not only did I learn from what I was taught, but I learned more about me (if that makes sense). The 15 hours in college is about right, although my lessons were spread out so I had Wednesdays off, 9am-3pm on Mondays and Tuesdays, and half days on Thursdays and Fridays. The hours outside of college really depends on what you're studying and how in depth you go - I could manage a Study Skills essay in 45 mins to an hour, a Sociology essay would take around a day or two, but my Psychology essays would take me anywhere between 3-10 days (alongside other work).

The housework was definitely the first to be bumped down my list of priorities...everyone's happy now I've finished as they have paired socks magically in their sock drawer and Sunday lunch with the trimmings again :biggrin:

That all sounds like brilliant advice - plus you will be in the fortunate position to talk specifically about Cardiff uni in your UCAS personal statement if that's the only place you're applying to :cool: One full day at uni sounds good - definitely better than having lectures dotted all over a five day week!

I'm applying to study Psychology at Durham :lovedup:, Derby, Nottingham Trent, Keele and Sheffield. I'm really hoping for a place at Durham although I do rather like the course at Derby too. I'm hoping to find work around the Durham area after graduating and then apply to Newcastle to do a Doctorate in Educational Psychology...eventually :colondollar:

I'm hoping to get everything in place to move as soon as possible in the New Year, but it might end up being as late as June as my daughter has her SATs this year. I'll be moving away from all my family :frown: which I'm not looking forward to at all. How on Earth did you cope with moving 100 miles?
Reply 6
My goodness you certainly have your hands full don't you :smile: Is it silly me just pinning all my hopes on Cardiff then? Everyone seems to apply to quite a few. I moved to be nearer to recently found family, plus there were a few more reasons and my son was leaving juniors so i thought it was a good time to do it...thats another reason why i love my new plan so much and you have confirmed it for me..i will make some more friends doing the access course. It does terrify me,its been so long and i kinda wonder if i 'can do it' but after reading everything tou are doing and your little path i feel truly inspired :smile:
One full day at uni...does that mean the rest i can do at home then (apart from placements obviously) i mean,do ppl go into uni to study when they have no lectures?
Am slightly worried now regarding the cost of all this with the new government,the access course price is going to go up and im confused as to whether or not the NHS will even fund this.
Anyway,onwards and upwards :biggrin:

Oh and i totally love that you said youve grown as a person,my self esteem has taken a bashing over the last few years so i imagine this might actually help me feel a little better about myself and my capabilities.
Reply 7
I'm doing an access course now and I LOVE it. It's great to learn all the new things when you have been out of education for a while, although I am 24 so have only been out years there are plenty on it in their 30s and 40s who are enjoying it too! I totally see what Charlie is saying about the growing as a person thing...I am still quite shy and quiet but I am definitely coming out of my shell a bit and the tutors are so supportive and they really do seem to "get" that you have bene out of education for a while and are a bit overwhelemd and work with you to get over any stumbling blocks you may come up against. I'm so glad I decided to do it, I am having my faith restored in myself that I'm not stupid and that it is worth pushing myself and to better myself :smile:
I say DOOOOOO IIIIIIT :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending