Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Help! How long until you HAVE to sign Tenancy Agreement?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm have a small problem regarding my student house for next year. Me and 5 other girls have organised and decided on a particular house. We've viewed it and on the same day, decided we wanted 'that' house.
    We paid the compulsaryadmin and referencing fees (£93) for the letting agency but I'm starting to worry...

Our letting agent seems hell-bent on trying to get us to 'sign' the Tenancy Agreement before we go home for Christmas, therefore, she wants us to sign by the 15th December (less than a month from now) and have the deposit etc by then.
    She's sent out guarantor forms etc and tried to hurry us with them too.
    My friend and I wanted clarification as to exactly how much we had to pay by the 15th of December.

Letting agent had neglected to mention a security deposit until now, but informed us we needed to pay six weeks rent (£600) and a security deposit (£300) EACH. That's nearly a grand. In less than a month. :eek:

Now, I've read the things that we've signed already (it was with the admin fees etc, to secure the house) and they say that we HAVE to pay once we have signed the tenancy agreement. We are not bound until we have signed the Tenancy Agreement, so technically we could back out now but lose the house and our £93.

What I want to know (gahh, so longwinded, sorry!) is whether there is a set time you have to have signed the Tenancy Agreement by. I mean, do you HAVE to sign it waaaaaaaaaaay in advance (we're not moving in until August 2011)??? Or do we have the right to sign it all up after Christmas? Is there a specific need for the 'rushing' or just because the Letting Agency want our money quickly?

Help please!!! :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    doesn't your uni have some sort of office that will check over all housing paperwork for you, they should be able to advise you best, or alternatively drop in on one of the surgery times for law students and ask then (check you're allowed to first, but we are)

as far as i know, although i dont really know anything, I don't think they can make you sign before christmas if you don't want to, but its possible that after a given amount of time they could put the house back on the market if you don't, but whatever you signed to secure the house should have told you how long you had to sign the tenancy agreement especially if you paid anything at this point
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I have no advice but i'm interested in this too!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbii)
    doesn't your uni have some sort of office that will check over all housing paperwork for you, they should be able to advise you best, or alternatively drop in on one of the surgery times for law students and ask then (check you're allowed to first, but we are)

as far as i know, although i dont really know anything, I don't think they can make you sign before christmas if you don't want to, but its possible that after a given amount of time they could put the house back on the market if you don't, but whatever you signed to secure the house should have told you how long you had to sign the tenancy agreement especially if you paid anything at this point
    I'm going to try and see if I can make an appointment to speak with our Accomodation help office on Monday but I'm just one big ball of panic at the moment. I can't do anything until Monday but I can't stop thinking about it.

We've double-checked and triple-checked, there's no indication on the papers we've already signed, when we must sign the tenancy agreement. It just says 'upon signing' or 'until signing' the tenancy agreement we must pay security deposit and month's rent in advance etc etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessie18)
    I'm going to try and see if I can make an appointment to speak with our Accomodation help office on Monday but I'm just one big ball of panic at the moment. I can't do anything until Monday but I can't stop thinking about it.

We've double-checked and triple-checked, there's no indication on the papers we've already signed, when we must sign the tenancy agreement. It just says 'upon signing' or 'until signing' the tenancy agreement we must pay security deposit and month's rent in advance etc etc
    in that case i would guess that they cant make you, hence they are trying to rush you so that they know they have tennants for next year rather than you pulling out or something at the last minute and them loosing several months worth of income if they can't find someone right away

try to stop yourself worrying too much, you know that there is nothing that you can do, and they won't do anything over the weekend, and you still have nearly a month to sort this all out

also if you do end up having to pay before christmas and if the only issue is the money does your uni have some sort of system that can loan you the money until your loan comes through

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 27, 2010
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.