The Student Room Group

Help with A-Level choices please!

So i'm in Year 11 and need to apply to Sixth form by 10th December, which is pretty soon, and i need to put on my application the 4 subjects i want to study at AS Level, thing is I can't decide which ones to do!

I know i need to decide in terms of what I want to do at University, and I'm thinking Law or maybe something science related or English.

I'm definitely taking: Maths (with Statistics) and English Literature

My other choice is: Chemistry or Biology (prefer Chemistry and am currently on an A for GCSE but have heard that it's really hard! :frown:!!!)

Then for my fourth im thinking Economics, but this seems like it could be quite boring? I'm doing Business Studies GCSE and love it but I know its a classed as a soft subject. If I enjoy Business will I enjoy Economics?

All help is much appreciated!
I'm in year 12 currently and maths with statistics is a gd choice, I think you will enjoy it very much especially the statistics.
And I think Economics as an AS Level is very good, I didn't do economics personally myself at GCSE, but I thoroughly enjoy it and I find it one of my favourite subjects
Reply 2
Whether you do Chemistry or Biology they will both be hard, as its a big leap from GCSE and may come as a shock during the first few weeks (but dont worry with hard work this soon eases off a bit).

It would be good to have at least one science under your belt, make sure its one that you think you'll really enjoy though. If you dont think you'd enjoy economics then you might as well choose Business if you love it. Also, have you considered studying either Law or Politics at A Level instead? This might be wise if you want to study Law at Uni as it will give you a feel for it.

If you do decide to go down the path of science you will generally need Maths as a requirement so I think thats a good choice too.

Good luck! x
When in doubt, check the list: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Reply 4
It is good to balance if you are not too sure. So stick with the Maths and Eng. Lit. Does History take your fancy? It is great for your analytical skills and is a really interesting course. I really enjoy Chemsitry and it is pleasantly easier than I thought. Just make sure you don't go down an all sciences route etc. as it limits your options and you will be bored of using identical skills.

I am studying: Art, Chemistry, Maths, History, and AS Italian. I have had positive feedback for my range.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Economics is not a soft option, however Business Studies are. And English also is. I wouldn't take it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Economics is quite good; if you are going to take business or economics, make it economics.
Maths with statistics... have you taken statistics before now? Because statistics is IMO the most boring module. I'd genuinely rather take decision even; though if the option for mechanics is there I'd jump at that.

can't comment on the sciences, I don't take any.
Original post by Wodeford
Economics is not a soft option, however Business Studies are. And English is also is. I wouldn't take it.

English Literature is a soft subject?
That's news to me.
Reply 8
Maths, Chemistry, Economics and English Lit - sounds like a very good combination to me.

Gives you a wide range of options, however excludes Physics/Engineering related degrees (though you could probably do Chemical Engineering at some places). If you decide at some point that you want to do Medicine, drop Economics after AS and pick up Biology AS in year 13.
Reply 9
Economics is quite good; if you are going to take business or economics, make it economics.
Maths with statistics... have you taken statistics before now? Because statistics is IMO the most boring module. I'd genuinely rather take decision even; though if the option for mechanics is there I'd jump at that.

can't comment on the sciences, I don't take any.

I haven't taken Statistics before now no, but i've heard its really interesting. And yeah I have the option of taking Mechanics.

Maths, Chemistry, Economics and English Lit - sounds like a very good combination to me.

Yeah that does sound good think thats what i'll go for, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest