The Student Room Group

Best form of revision for visual learners?

Well I know I'm definitely a visual learner. I picture words in my mind to remember them, I've even learnt a lot of people's names through looking at their names written out on facebook, haha!
Anyway I'm 12 weeks into my first year of A-levels and I've realised how much of a gigantic jump it is so I'd like to start ahead and revise now so when it actually comes time to take the exam I can do it with ease. I'm just wondering, what would be the best form of revision for a student like me that learns best by visioning things rather than hearing it? Thank you for any answers, I appreciate them a lot!
:redface:
Mind maps

Flash cards

I did mind maps last year but I just ended up trying to be a perfectionist and having too many mind maps for them to be useful. Try both, and research the techniques before you start using them :smile:
Reply 2
Drawing diagrams/flow charts I reckon.
Reply 3
I should point out that it's highly unlikely you're only a "visual" learner.

As with everyone, a mix of techniques will work best. I was quite fond of reading my notes and important points into the mic and recording it into an mp3...then fire it on the ipod and play it back at your leisure. Works a treat
Reply 4
I think if you learn names by shapes and stuff, mind maps would be a good idea. Now is a good time to experiment though - try out a few different things and see which techniques work best for you. I'd start with mind maps and flash cards, and flowcharts for any processes or whatever.
illustrational drawing with diagrams on posters, scatter them all over the place the bedroom wall, the kitchen, anywhere where you wouldn't usually revise but learn something youre struggling with just by opening the wardrobe door for example and looking at the diagram for a minute before retrieving what you went to get from there. Also looking at slideshow animations and flashcards. It really worked for me :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by technik
I should point out that it's highly unlikely you're only a "visual" learner.

As with everyone, a mix of techniques will work best. I was quite fond of reading my notes and important points into the mic and recording it into an mp3...then fire it on the ipod and play it back at your leisure. Works a treat

I love this i always thought I was an auditory learner until my college did the learning types test i actually use both sides of my brain I actually fit into visual and auditoria which is a shock I learnt the driving theory test (yes I know lame example) by writing the question a thousand times reading it testing myself on flash cards and re-writing the ones I got wrong a million times more until I cracked it (I've passed 3 times but don't drive as scared of lorries haha) likewise I too record voice notes and pop them onto iTunes and then sync it from iTunes i to my music album or topic play list and play it to myself whilst asleep not really sure how this worked because I gave up after a week but when people say do you know ???? My initiall response is hAve u got a picture.... Visual

Use flash cards mind maps diagrams illustrations and read

Write your notes out lots and lots time consuming yes but worth the grade
Reply 7
Use lots of bright colours, because your mind woks in colour. I often find that if I write a paragraph in a certain colour, if I remember the colour, I will then remember the basis of the paragraph, if that makes any sense! Mind maps are also helpful, using lots of colours again!!
I just watch videos and take interactive quizzes. They've done me well.

Quick Reply

Latest