The Student Room Group

Social Science's Are Not A Science!

Seriously, Psychology and sociology are not a science, standing around outside Mcdonalds with a clip board asking about dreams is so unscientific.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So what is a Science?
Reply 2
Well sometimes bits of science do creep in to areas of Psychology. But yeah, I guess they're not science in the way that Biology, Chemistry and Physics are. But meh, I don't really care what they are classed as to be honest.
:troll:

Seriously you cannot be this stupid to think that psychology is about asking people about dreams.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Seriously, Psychology and sociology are not a science, standing around outside Mcdonalds with a clip board asking about dreams is so unscientific.

Is this the place to "ask" this question? People are applying to university, many of them for psychology and sociology, and you're here putting down the course? It's quite a low blow really.
Reply 5
Original post by neutralmilkhotel
Is this the place to "ask" this question? People are applying to university, many of them for psychology and sociology, and you're here putting down the course? It's quite a low blow really.

Welcome to TSR, I see you are new here. This is what people do. Either he truly believes they're not a Science, or he's a troll.
Original post by Hylean
Welcome to TSR, I see you are new here. This is what people do. Either he truly believes they're not a Science, or he's a troll.

Im a girl.
Original post by Hylean

I see.
Reply 8
It's true that Psychology is nearing to a more scientific approach, in using scientific methods, technology, and with its practical application.
Reply 9
Im a girl.

Good for you. Doesn't change anything.

I see.

It's quite a common belief around here that Social Sciences are faux Sciences or mickey mouse degrees, sadly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hylean
Good for you. Doesn't change anything.

im sure there is some psychological bull**** to how it does.
Reply 11
Well, it's pretty silly for them to put "Science" in the name then isn't it :smile:
Reply 12
im sure there is some psychological bull**** to how it does.

Quite possibly, but for the purposes of this argument and my opinion of you, it changes nothing. :smile:
Original post by Hylean
It's quite a common belief around here that Social Sciences are faux Sciences or mickey mouse degrees, sadly.

I'm not surprised. This place has got it's fair share of pompous child prodigies.

No, it's a social science, yet why it's called that. :wtf:
I'm not surprised. This place has got it's fair share of pompous child prodigies.

And pretentious music faggots.
And pretentious music faggots.

Thanks. Nice use of the word "faggot" there - that's not offensive at all.
Reply 17
They aren't Natural Sciences.

They are Social Sciences.

Which is why they have different names.

It isn't that difficult really when you think about it.
I'm not saying this because I'm applying for psychology, but I don't think you can give an opinion on it as you have never studied psychology or sociology yourself.
The OP made himself/herself look like a tool by putting an apostrophe in the title.

Some of the research methods in social sciences are scientific in approach. Applied research in economics is quantitative and scientific in nature just like physical sciences would be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending