The Student Room Group

Most competitive course..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Your straw clutching is unbearable. The point remains.

Straw clutching? Not clutching at straws, just failing to comprehend how you can't understand that uni doesn't come into it.
Original post by TheSownRose
Straw clutching? Not clutching at straws, just failing to comprehend how you can't understand that uni doesn't come into it.

It's one course.

I showed you one course with a much higher app : place ratio.

Simple.
It's one course.

I showed you one course with a much higher app : place ratio.

Simple.

No, you showed me one course at a specific uni that has a higher applicant : place ratio.

If you had said 'graduate-entry medicine has more than twice the number of applicants to places', that would have been comparable. Grad-entry medicine just at KCL is not.

The OP didn't ask about specific unis, they just wanted courses.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Title asks for most competitive course, not course at a particular uni. :wink:

Medicine overall came sixth on the competitive list.

You have to appreciate as well, that the people who apply to medicine are pretty much all top of the class.

No ****. Your example was still taken from one specific uni.
Original post by Organ
You have to appreciate as well, that the people who apply to medicine are pretty much all top of the class.

in an a purely academic sense perhaps...
No ****. Your example was still taken from one specific uni.

Now we're going in circles.

The fact that it's only run at one uni doesn't make a difference. It is still the most competitive course in 2009 because, for every single place you could apply to that year (makes no difference that it was one; that one place is the course,) there were twenty-three people who wanted it.
Reply 27
Original post by John Locke
in an a purely academic sense perhaps...

What would the other relevant senses be?
Now we're going in circles.

The fact that it's only run at one uni doesn't make a difference. It is still the most competitive course in 2009 because, for every single place you could apply to that year (makes no difference that it was one; that one place is the course,) there were twenty-three people who wanted it.

Right, okay, sure, whatever. Keep clutching at those straws.
Right, okay, sure, whatever. Keep clutching at those straws.

Well, I'm right so I don't really need to... :wink:
Original post by Organ
What would the other relevant senses be?

all other interpersonal related selection criteria, interpersonal skills etc
Well, I'm right so I don't really need to... :wink:

If you think using a negligable anomaly is a basis for a good argument you should be working in pharma.
Reply 32
No, you showed me one course at a specific uni that has a higher applicant : place ratio.

If you had said 'graduate-entry medicine has more than twice the number of applicants to places', that would have been comparable. Grad-entry medicine just at KCL is not.

you took a course only offered at one place eg lets say classical st. at kcl thats the same as saying graduate med at kcl cos that course is only done at that uni so you're ocmparing one uni not all
economics at LSE has to be in the top 5
Reply 34
i can't actually find the table, but i remember seeing one on the cambridge website which listed applicants to offer ratios
i imagine this would be fairly representative
it went something like:
architecture (?!) ~ 12%
medicine POSTGRAD
economics
history/english etc.
everything else
-
-
-
classics (50% of applicants receive offers o.O)
Original post by lnwn
you took a course only offered at one place eg lets say classical st. at kcl thats the same as saying graduate med at kcl cos that course is only done at that uni so you're ocmparing one uni not all

But I didn't say that. I took a complete course, which GodspeedGehenna didn't.
Reply 36
Dentistry!!
Reply 37
Medicine, Law (although it depends on the uni)

/Thread. :getmecoat:
Medicine, Dentistry, English, Law?
Reply 39
If we're talking about just the course generally, Dentistry is more competitive than both Medicine and Vetinary based on 2009 entry. If you don't believe me go on the UCAS stats tool and work out (number of accepted applicants/total number of applicants)x100 you'll see that Dentistry has the lowest overall % applicant success.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending