The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

M.Sc. admission for internationals

Hi,

I am currently studying Electrical Engineering at TU Darmstadt, Germany.
As I plan to do my graduate studies somewhere else, I am really interested in Imperial. However, it seems difficult to find detailed information on the admission process for a Masters in Electrical Engineering. I know of the minimum requirements, but what kind of stats will likely get me accepted? Is the difficulty of getting admission comparable to top American universities?

Some more info about me: I am at the top of my class but know that I cannot compete with some of the Indians and Chinese who have vast research experience and publications.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
Anyone, pleaaase?:smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Sharpi
Hi,

I am currently studying Electrical Engineering at TU Darmstadt, Germany.
As I plan to do my graduate studies somewhere else, I am really interested in Imperial. However, it seems difficult to find detailed information on the admission process for a Masters in Electrical Engineering. I know of the minimum requirements, but what kind of stats will likely get me accepted? Is the difficulty of getting admission comparable to top American universities?

Some more info about me: I am at the top of my class but know that I cannot compete with some of the Indians and Chinese who have vast research experience and publications.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

I have Chinese exchange student from one of their best institution in my current school (studying CS) and they are not better than other students. You should not worry about that ^^.

I never applied in the US, so I can't help you.
I'll try.

I think you have to make enquiries. You shuld contact them, because as you might noticed, you can't even compare grades properly in Germany. (Politics grades varies from Law grades varies from engineering...) Thus I think to rely on any statistics is pointless. Looking at your grades they will probably know how good you are, as you won't be the first German student to apply. Perhaps your University gives you a ranking?

(One question: Having vast research experience and publication would you really think about doing a Master of Science? I mean exspecially in Germany a Master of Science is a prerequisite to research and having one, doesn't make you a researcher, it just finishes your university education.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks a lot for your answers!
I've already tried contacting Imperial but haven't received an answer thus far. Its true that grades can't easily be compared, though I am sure that I will find professors who will give some sort of ranking.
Nathanielle: I dont have vast research experience, I was talking about those asian guys' profiles Ive seen. Some have published articles in peer reviewed journals and stuff like that.
So, is it going to be rather safe to say I will be admitted to Imperial if I can give proof that I am at the top of my class academically or does research play an important role in admissions?
I know, you don't have(you told it) it was more meant in an hypothetic way.

Of course it is allways an advantage to show academic ability, but thinking in a logic way, you shouldn't worry about them. Where did you got those profiles from? (Imperial?)

Hm, you can never be sure to get admitted (very good grades only widen your possibilities and give you a realistic chance --> Even in Germany there are from time to time people with great Abitur, who don't get a place at a German University, because they messed up their letter of motivation/interview/entrance test), but you don't apply with an "Wald-und-Wiesen-Uni-Degree" and having very good grades, you can be confident.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey Nathanielle,

thanks for the answer, its really helpful to me :smile:
Ive seen the profiles on other webpages, mainly on collegeconfidential regarding applicants to top US Universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending