The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
timeofyourlife
I'm sure John Prescott is very well up on current affairs.

he is conservative
what facts have i claimed that were not true, i know about this issue very well, i have jsut been repeating the same point to you and am gettign frustrated as you appear not to get it

What, apart from claiming that Scottish students wouldn't have to pay top-up fees at English universities?
Well, if the amount of Scots students fell that would create more places for English students. Sound fair? English college places for English kids?

Well if Edinburgh and St. Andrews and all the other Scottish Universities decided not to allow English students there would be many who wouldn't be too pleased.

What do you mean Scottish Oil? Since when was the North Sea owned by Scotland which hasn't even been an independent country for over 300 years?

It's the UK's oil, not yours!

I wasn't meaning that the Oil belonged to Scotland, simply that it was from Scotland (in the same way that Cornish Pasties are from Cornwall).
Reply 83
magicalsausage
What, apart from claiming that Scottish students wouldn't have to pay top-up fees at English universities?

where did i claim that
Well you've edited the post now so I can't directly quote you, but you said that "Scottish students wouldn't be affected if they choose to go to English Universities" or something.
Reply 85
magicalsausage
Well you've edited the post now so I can't directly quote you, but you said that "Scottish students wouldn't be affected if they choose to go to English Universities" or something.

umm, yes i did type in englsih when i meant scottish, but i changed it and clearly admitted it in my next post
Reply 86
magicalsausage
Well if Edinburgh and St. Andrews and all the other Scottish Universities decided not to allow English students there would be many who wouldn't be too pleased.

Yes, but as you said earlier, the premier league uni's are pretty much all in England. More Scots students flock to study in England than English one's to study in Scotland.

I wasn't meaning that the Oil belonged to Scotland, simply that it was from Scotland (in the same way that Cornish Pasties are from Cornwall).

Well, it doesn't come from Scotland. It comes from the North Sea which isn't Scotland and isn't owned by Scotland. So your "lost revenue" argument fails to hold water.
umm, yes i did type in englsih when i meant scottish, but i changed it and clearly admitted it in my next post

OK my mistake, but calling me uninformed without any evidence is not productive or constructive in any way!
Well, it doesn't come from Scotland. It comes from the North Sea which isn't Scotland and isn't owned by Scotland. So your "lost revenue" argument fails to hold water.

But if Scotland became independant, the revenue would go to the independant Scotland rather than the United Kingdom (that's what the SNP has been campaigning on for years!).
Reply 89
magicalsausage
OK my mistake, but calling me uninformed without any evidence is not productive or constructive in any way!

sorry, i just cant see the logic in your argument, they should be allowed to vote on something that does not directly affect their constituents, unless they leave the country - am i missing something there
sorry, i just cant see the logic in your argument, they should be allowed to vote on something that does not directly affect their constituents, unless they leave the country - am i missing something there

But Scotland is not another country. That's why you don't need to show a passport or go through border control to get here, and why people in Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland hold British Passports rather than those of any of the separate parts of the United Kingdom. So why should somebody from Scotland not be perfectly entitled to travel to another part of the same country to study?
Reply 91
magicalsausage
But Scotland is not another country. That's why you don't need to show a passport or go through border control to get here, and why people in Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland hold British Passports rather than those of any of the separate parts of the United Kingdom. So why should somebody from Scotland not be perfectly entitled to travel to another part of the same country to study?

tehy are perfectly entitled, but the smae argument could be used as to hy english students have to pay fees for scottish universities
tehy are perfectly entitled, but the smae argument could be used as to hy english students have to pay fees for scottish universities

But English students pay the same for Scottish Universities as for English ones!

And if you mean that it is unfair that Scottish students defer payment of fees till after graduation and once they have reached a certain salary, then you are undermining your entire argument! Devolution gave Scotland the power to impose our current system of payment, and that is completely unrelated to the issue in question.

Now, if you'll excuse me, that is me done for the night.
Reply 93
magicalsausage
But English students pay the same for Scottish Universities as for English ones!

And if you mean that it is unfair that Scottish students defer payment of fees till after graduation and once they have reached a certain salary, then you are undermining your entire argument! Devolution gave Scotland the power to impose our current system of payment, and that is completely unrelated to the issue in question.

Now, if you'll excuse me, that is me done for the night.

nite, but so you are devolved and subsequently can choose how you want to run your education system, but we cant and yet you have some say over ours
hi muchachos - i have just come back from fighting a guerilla war in Bolivia - do i look like Che or is this pic a bit bizarre
Reply 95
magicalsausage
But if Scotland became independant, the revenue would go to the independant Scotland rather than the United Kingdom (that's what the SNP has been campaigning on for years!).

But that assumes Scottish independence would be achieved only on the SNP's terms. I don't think so!

Actually, this oil argument is a load of hogwash anyway. The fact is that it never did provide the boon to the UK economy that it was supposed to.

a) Because it costs almost as much to pump it out of the sea bed and refine it into something useful (it's actually very poor quality stuff you know) as it's worth on the world market.

b) A lot of the NS oil reserves are under US ownership anyway.
Reply 96
Howard
But that assumes Scottish independence would be achieved only on the SNP's terms. I don't think so!

Actually, this oil argument is a load of hogwash anyway. The fact is that it never did provide the boon to the UK economy that it was supposed to.

a) Because it costs almost as much to pump it out of the sea bed and refine it into something useful (it's actually very poor quality stuff you know) as it's worth on the world market.

b) A lot of the NS oil reserves are under US ownership anyway.

the only reason that such a fuss was made was because it nominally provides us with ourr own, safe oil supply
Reply 97
magicalsausage

Yes, but the SNP are politically about as relevent as my cat!

Latest

Trending

Trending