The Student Room Group

Your opinions please

OK, I'm getting a bit edgy at still not having my 6 uni choices down for applying through UCAS this year, and need a little help. I've only been to one open day as I've only recently narrowed it down to about half a dozen or so places, and that was Kingston, which I was strongly considering till I actually saw it. Now I'm really paranoid that I'll hate all my uni choices when I actually see them, and all the open days are over. B0ll0cks. Anyway, here are the ones I'm considering. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out with anything I should know about them. Thanks.

Lancaster
East Anglia
Brunel
Portsmouth
Essex
Swansea
Roehampton

As you can see, Kingston has been removed from the list, lol.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't tell you anything about those unis, but I have applied to Roehampton and Kingston as well. I haven't seen any of the unis I applied to, either. And I won't be going until I receive any offers and I will then look at the places that I would get accepted by. My decison was solely based on the course outlines, prospectuses and what other people told me about the unis. As I have applied to Kingston as well, may I ask why you dropped it? What was so bad about it? Please be specific :biggrin:
Reply 2
Oh, and what are you applying for?

I really like your signature quote btw, it's funny :biggrin:
Reply 3
Just out of interest, what didn't you like about Kingston? One of my best friends is there and he's loving it! I've never actually been to any of the places on your list (although I did get an offer from UEA) but on the whole they're all good, decent unis. Brunel is in Uxbridge, near where I live. It's a nice town but a bit on the quiet side!
wiggles
OK, I'm getting a bit edgy at still not having my 6 uni choices down for applying through UCAS this year, and need a little help. I've only been to one open day as I've only recently narrowed it down to about half a dozen or so places, and that was Kingston, which I was strongly considering till I actually saw it. Now I'm really paranoid that I'll hate all my uni choices when I actually see them, and all the open days are over. B0ll0cks. Anyway, here are the ones I'm considering. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out with anything I should know about them. Thanks.

Lancaster
East Anglia
Brunel
Portsmouth
Essex
Swansea
Roehampton

As you can see, Kingston has been removed from the list, lol.

East Anglia all the way! Seriously its an AMAZING uni, just brilliant. What course is it for?
Reply 5
I dropped Kingston from my list cos of the Penrhyn Road site. The main campus was really nice actually, but as I'm doing English I'd be based at Penrhyn Road, which just looked really dull and just not very nice really. And the area between there and the Middle Mill accommodation just looked a bit rough too.
Anyway, I'm applying for English and Creative Anne UK. And thank you, it's from the greatest show ever - The Simpsons :-D
--------------
Oh, im applying to UEA for American Lit and Creative Writing, as the English Lit and Creative Writing entry grades are a bit too high, lol.
Reply 6
Ah, okay. I don't know where I'd be based :confused: will have to look that up. I will be living off campus tho, so would that make a difference? I mean, did you find it awful hall-wise and all? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if you were living somewhere else? Well, just wondering, I hope I'll like it :biggrin:

Oh, and I don't watch The Simpsons, but that quote is great :biggrin:
Reply 7
For english and creative writing UEA is the way to go! It's one of the best creative writing departments in the country (I applied there for English and American lit)
Reply 8
Uhm, I'd be based at Penrhyn Road, too. Can you describe a bit more what it was like? And how far is it from the main site? I don't really understand the whole UK uni system, sorry. So it's not all at one place ??? Is it like spread out over SW London ??? Uhm, I really need to gather more information lol
Reply 9
~Sam~
For english and creative writing UEA is the way to go! It's one of the best creative writing departments in the country (I applied there for English and American lit)

I know, which is why I probably won't get in, lol.
--------------
Well it's because it's an ex-polytechnic, not all english unis are like it. And theyre not really that far away, theyre just spread throughout kingston. maybe a mile away from each other? the rooms werent that bad, i just didnt fancy living in the area.
Reply 10
wiggles
I know, which is why I probably won't get in, lol.
--------------
Well it's because it's an ex-polytechnic, not all english unis are like it. And theyre not really that far away, theyre just spread throughout kingston. maybe a mile away from each other? the rooms werent that bad, i just didnt fancy living in the area.

Be positive! What are your predicted grades?
Reply 11
At the moment they are A/B, B, C. But I'm working on getting my teacher to put the C up to a B before I apply by wowing him with my A2 coursework, lol. And the C is for english....which is why i really need to get it up.
Yes Penrhyn Road is a bit crap....lol.

My course is on Kingston Hill and that campus is gorgeous though<3....

I wouldn't have said Middle Mill was rough?
Reply 13
No, Middle Mill is OK, its just the walk from there to Penrhyn Road.....I really dont want to be walking that day after day, lol.
Reply 14
cherrychocolate
Yes Penrhyn Road is a bit crap....lol.

My course is on Kingston Hill and that campus is gorgeous though<3....

I wouldn't have said Middle Mill was rough?

Uhm, but it's not like ... unbearable, is it? I'm feeling a bit bad now, since I have applied there. I won't be living in halls, so I could still live somewhere nice, right? And is the Campus just crap lookig or are the facilities really bad, too? The website says it's modern and all :confused: I mean, sure they won't say anything bad, but uh.
Reply 15
Btw, how many weeks after you sent your app to UCAS did you get your offer from Kingston?
Reply 16
Hey.

I go to Lancaster and I love it. It is like its own little village with plenty of shops/take outs on site. It also has two banks and a post office.

It has a collegiate system, which isn't as rigid as Oxbridge, but there is still a feeling of community. I'm in Lonsdale, which has brand new accommodation with ensuite. It's really modern too. Cartmel also has the same accommodation.

There is several bars on campus, so you always have a choice of where you want to go. There are loads of societies that you can join, from the hiking club, to ballroom dancing.

The only downside I would say is the fact it is about a 10 minute bus ride into town. However, after saying that if you do go out on the student nights, they usually run a free bus service back to campus anyway.

Anything else you want to know then let me know, but I haven't met one person who doesn't love being here yet.

:smile:
Anne*UK*06
Uhm, but it's not like ... unbearable, is it? I'm feeling a bit bad now, since I have applied there. I won't be living in halls, so I could still live somewhere nice, right? And is the Campus just crap lookig or are the facilities really bad, too? The website says it's modern and all :confused: I mean, sure they won't say anything bad, but uh.

Penrhyn Road just kind of reminds me of my old sixth form college.It's basically one long building.....it's well,not crap looking...just not as pretty as Kingston Hill.It's basically nothing special.

It's nice inside though.

It has a Subway sandwich shop too haha.

Kingston is a nice area.You could still find somewhere to live;private accommodation is cheaper than halls!

EDIT:I sent my application the beginning of last October...had my offer by mid-November if I am remembering rightly.
Reply 18
Ah, cool :biggrin: I sent mine on the 9th and I am obviously not holding any offers yet, but I can't wait :biggrin: So Kingston is rather quick to reply ?!

OMG and I LOVE Subway !!! It's like ... my favourite food lol Except for that it's ridiculously overpriced.

I didn't know private accomodation is cheaper than halls :eek:
It will be difficult to find a place that allows pets tho, right?
I'm not sure on the pet situation.I'd assume most places would be fine with pets but I don't know...

Yeah I'm paying £90+ for my halls per week...seen some houses going for £250 per month!

Latest

Trending

Trending