The Student Room Group

Can I get a circumcision with my parents knowing?

I have BXO/phimosis and for BXO, the best cure is circumcision. Before this thread turns into another circumcision debate, let me say that I have done a lot of research and this is by far the best and most effective treatment.

I'm 17 right now, so I don't really know whether I qualify as a minor or an adult in the eyes of the NHS. I basically just want to know whether I could see a doctor, or my doctor privately and get it done without my parents' permission and without them being consulted?
Why would you want to do it without your parents permission? I mean, surely they'd understand considering you have a problem. But being under 18, I doubt you can have anything done without parental permission.
It's prolly best you consult your dad as your mum prolly won't understand. Besides it'll be less awkward
Reply 3
you mean without in ur thread title and im not sure if 17 is old enough but you can always try.
Reply 4
Why dont you want your parents to know? Im not sure about consent, that's something you would have to ask. Just go and see your GP and see what they say, you can then take it from there.
Reply 5
girls under 16 can get contraception without their parents being told, so I'm sure at 17 u are old enough to give consent for a circumcision and therefore your parents would not need to be consulted
I think you can at 17, because my optician and dentist both say you're medically independent at 16. What will you say when you're sneaking off to hospital? Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
If you live at home, no. Even if you somehow manage to get the operation without their knowledge, you'll be limping for a week at the very least. The pain is still fresh in my memory from thirteen years ago when I was six. They'll find out you did it.
Reply 8
You can have surgery and whatnot without notifying your parents at 17. I had an operation in the same area when I was 17 (not circumcision) which I did not tell my parents about until I was already on the waiting list. NHS letters will come through the post though - keep that in mind. I told my parents in the end out of choice, shortly after organising the surgery (on the NHS), since I figured it was only fair despite the somewhat embarrassing subject. They were totally understanding and made nothing embarrassing for me.

If you are having a general anaesthetic, then it will be hard not to let your parents know given the time you will spend in a hospital bed, and remember that someone has to pick you up afterwards. For foreskin-related surgeries, remember that some hospitals do indeed give general anaesthesia by policy - I got that for mine. Usually you can't choose between local or general - it depends on the hospital policy.

And as has already been said, though I've not experienced a circumcision myself, you'll be in a damned amount of pain. There's little chance they won't notice your efforts to conceal it. Just do what I did and let them know - you might be surprised; they might be very supportive just like my parents were. It's not exactly an easy thing to raise to them after all, surely they'll understand.
Reply 9
Original post by Skoji
If you live at home, no. Even if you somehow manage to get the operation without their knowledge, you'll be limping for a week at the very least. The pain is still fresh in my memory from thirteen years ago when I was six. They'll find out you did it.

I watched a video of a baby screaming after getting it done. It was a brutal. So yeah... get a strong anaesthetic.

To the OP: Long term Anti-biotic will destroy your health in ways the NHS don't even acknowledge (Candida). So although I am personally against circumcision, I from a quick read-up on BXO, you might be making the right decision. If I was you, I would try to speak to some people who have been cured on it before. (Try googling for forum discussions.)

-
Sorry, forgot to answer your question.

If you call NHS direct, they will tell you what your options are. 0845 4647
(edited 13 years ago)
I understand your problem as I have the same issue and I am to embarrassed to speak to my parents about it but I don’t know what the age is for it without parents being involved and I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere.
Original post by Bobmarley123456
I understand your problem as I have the same issue and I am to embarrassed to speak to my parents about it but I don’t know what the age is for it without parents being involved and I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere.

Your parents won’t find it funny or anything. They will want you to get better. And the sooner you get it done the better as well. (Though it will probably have to be once Coronavirus calms down.) But you could probably speak to a doctor without speaking to your parents first.

Quick Reply

Latest