The Student Room Group

Higher English - What poems you are studying?

We did The Sparrow, wrote an essay on it and I HATED it and made a point of saying it in the essay. Since then, my teacher has let me go my own way with poems. I am doing Shooting Stars, but ideally would want to have 2 to study just to cover my bases in the exam. What poems are you lot doing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We've done quite alot as text's for the essays and as practice analysis for the Textual Analysis NAB;

Visiting Hour - Norman MacCaig
Assisi - Norman MacCaig
Hotel Room, 12th floor - Norman McCaig
Box Room - Liz Lochead
Valentine - Carol Ann Duffy
Opera ? - forgot who
Horses - Edwin Muir

We done more I'm sure just can't think of them off the top of my head.
Favourite was probably visiting hour or Assisi

We done this one as a practice Textual analysis, thought it was one of the better poems we done,
http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/scotlit/asls/pdfs/teachingnotes102.pdf

hope that helped at all
Reply 2
Lol we've not done any poems yet (doubt we'll get round to it). Done a novel now just starting a play
Reply 3
Thank you!

Our tutor put up a bunch of notes online (snow days, 7 bloody inches of the stuff) so I'm hoping to get far as much done as I can. Visiting Hour is one I am interested in for sure. Thanks again :smile:
We've done The Rabbit Catcher by Sylvia Plath and Autobiography by Louis MacNeice. I think other classes have done In Mrs Tilscher's Class by Carol Ann Duffy, but apparently my teacher doesn't like it.
Reply 5
Original post by derangedyoshi
We've done The Rabbit Catcher by Sylvia Plath and Autobiography by Louis MacNeice. I think other classes have done In Mrs Tilscher's Class by Carol Ann Duffy, but apparently my teacher doesn't like it.

Our teacher put that up too, but since I'm already doing Shooting Stars by Duffy I'd rather get some variety. I know she hasn't got many fans, but I really like Shooting Stars.
My class are doing 2 poems by Philip Larkin so far:

A Study of Reading Habits
Ambulances
Goodness some of you are doing a lot of poetry. We only did one piece properly in the whole year :eek:
Reply 8
Original post by sandys1000
Goodness some of you are doing a lot of poetry. We only did one piece properly in the whole year :eek:

Was it "The Last Duchess" by any chance?
Original post by Jarlsberg
Was it "The Last Duchess" by any chance?

It was indeed :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by sandys1000
It was indeed :wink:

Did Edith give some pointers?
Original post by Jarlsberg
Did Edith give some pointers?

No actually it was Gail while she was round one night.
The Horses - Edwin Muir
The Almond Tree- John Staleworthy

Teacher is pretty old, been teaching for donkeys lol and said these are two good ones as theres allot of techniques etc :s-smilie:
Trio - Edwin Morgan
Box Room - Liz Lochhead
Before You Were Mine - Carol Ann Duffy
We Remember Your Childhood Well - Carol Ann Duffy.

I don't think I've read a poem as depressing as WRYCW in my life!
Reply 14
Ambulances-Philip Larkin
Afternoons- Philip Larkin
At grass- Philip Larkin
Sympathy- Laurence Dunbar ( I think...)
Tulips- Sylvia Plath.

I have been doing higher english since fourth year, hence the large number of poems.
When I did Higher English last year, we did
Ambulances - Philip Larkin
Aubade - Philip Larkin
Church Going - Philip Larkin
Porphyria's Lover - Robert Browning

I think that's all of them (:
Reply 16
We've only done two poems. Yet a lot of you seem to have done more? :s-smilie: I really hope we don't have to do another one. =|

We've done...

"The Demon Goes to Kill Death" by Edwin Morgan
"Old Woman" by Iain Crichton Smith.

I liked the Demon poem, but not the Old Woman one.
Reply 17
Original post by McWolf
We've only done two poems. Yet a lot of you seem to have done more? :s-smilie: I really hope we don't have to do another one. =|

We've done...

"The Demon Goes to Kill Death" by Edwin Morgan
"Old Woman" by Iain Crichton Smith.

I liked the Demon poem, but not the Old Woman one.

Don't worry i've not done any
We've read quite a few and made indepth notes but only wrote essays on two.

Convergence Of The Twain-Thomas Hardy
Tam O Shanter-Robert Burns
Digging-Seamus Heaney
From last year, I did "My Last Duchess", "Porphyria's Lover", a couple of Carol Ann Duffy... tbh you should be fine with memorising max 3 poems. If anyone wants any help on those poems then gimme a holla.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending