The Student Room Group

Which 2 would you pick to study economics at?

Hi everyone Ive recieved offers from York Lancaster and Surrey as an undergraduate to study bsc economics. Im still waiting on Birmingham and Nottingham I am just wondering which university you would choose as a firm and insurance. My main ambition in life is to work in the city either at a big accountancy firm or at an investment bank.

Here are their grade requirements: York-AAB-offer
Lancaster-AAB-offer
Surrey-ABB-offer
Birmingham-AAB-still waiting
Nottingham-AAA-AABB-still waiting

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nottingham firm and Birmingham insurance
Nottingham firm, Birmingham insurance as above. From what I've heard investment banks generally recruit from places like Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL and Warwick. Nottingham would be your best bet for IB but the others would be v. tricky.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kbountra
Nottingham firm, Birmingham insurance as above. From what I've heard investment banks generally recruit from places like Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and Warwick. Nottingham would be your best bet for IB but the others would be v. tricky.

Nottingham have frequent visits from the big investment banks, it's a top target for them
Reply 4
Original post by kbountra
Nottingham firm, Birmingham insurance as above. From what I've heard investment banks generally recruit from places like Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and Warwick. Nottingham would be your best bet for IB but the others would be v. tricky.

Yeah i understand the difficulty, after my degree Im hoping to apply to study for an msc in finance at one of the target universities mentioned above to improve my chances.
Reply 5
Ooh im in a similar situation, i have offers from york leeds lancaster and newcastle and im just waiting on loughborough. i think ill be firming lancaster, not sure about insurance though. In leauge tables lancaster and york are your highest and for economics york and birmingham, but it depends what youre looking for in a university really!
Original post by TheBigCh

Nottingham have frequent visits from the big investment banks, it's a top target for them

Notts is a semi target uni. I would only use the word top target for Oxbridge/LSE.

Nottingham is a great place to go for economics but Oxbridge/LSE/UCL remain the top targets. With Notts I think the OP would realistically need a 1st plus excellent internships to stand a chance but places like surrey/lancaster/york aren't even considered.
Reply 8
Taking into account everything, from course content to location to atmosphere, I'd choose Nottingham as firm and Birmingham as insurance.

To be honest, though, it's not going to make a spot of difference. Visit them all and choose based on your own preferences. It's possible that you hate the atmosphere of Nottingham, but you could loathe the campus of York, and then again you could find Birmingham to be ugly and run down. None of us can tell what you'll feel like at each place.

Academically they are all good, and neither will advantage or disadvantage you in your job prospects.
Reply 9
I know why everyone choose nottingham as their first choice but why so many people choose birmingham as insurance?

What is the distinction between Birmingham with Lancaster/ York?
Reply 10
Original post by YhA_kaede
I know why everyone choose nottingham as their first choice but why so many people choose birmingham as insurance?

What is the distinction between Birmingham with Lancaster/ York?

Course-wise, I'd rank both Birmingham and York equally. Location-wise, however, I would choose Birmingham as it's larger and is more bustling. Obviously if you prefer a quieter atmosphere, then York is a far better bet as an insurance.
Reply 11
Original post by .ACS.
Course-wise, I'd rank both Birmingham and York equally. Location-wise, however, I would choose Birmingham as it's larger and is more bustling. Obviously if you prefer a quieter atmosphere, then York is a far better bet as an insurance.

How about Lancaster then?
As I have applied to both York and Lancaster, I would like to have some guides on my choices:wink:
Original post by Ramin Gorji
Hi everyone Ive recieved offers from York Lancaster and Surrey as an undergraduate to study bsc economics. Im still waiting on Birmingham and Nottingham I am just wondering which university you would choose as a firm and insurance. My main ambition in life is to work in the city either at a big accountancy firm or at an investment bank.

Here are their grade requirements: York-AAB-offer
Lancaster-AAB-offer
Surrey-ABB-offer
Birmingham-AAB-still waiting
Nottingham-AAA-AABB-still waiting

I have also applied to York, Lancaster and Birmingham and finding it difficult to choose between the 3. From my research Lancaster has the highest graduae prospects in terms of getting *graduate* jobs after 6 months due to the year in industry and year abroad options. Birmingham is probably the most prestigious and the best uni life as well as being near enough to London to get jobs there. York is the highest ranking of them all and gives out 40% of its degrees as first class honours. I might also add that Lancaster accepts the average of 2 AS's in the place of one A2 and also accepts General Studies. York accepts General Studies and Birmingham requires 3 full A2's excluding General Studies. Hope this has helped. I dont know much about Notts but went there for medlink when I was considering medicine and it was a lovely campus. :smile:
Also, York has the largest department and a wide range of course options. Lancaster has a major/minor type system where you can choose modules outside of the Economics degree.
Reply 14
Original post by YhA_kaede
How about Lancaster then?
As I have applied to both York and Lancaster, I would like to have some guides on my choices:wink:

Lancaster is equally good.

The big thing is: have you visited any of the universities you've applied to? At the end of the day, what's most important is you enjoy the atmosphere, feel you fit in, and enjoy your three years. There are differences in courses, no doubt, but these in reality won't massively affect your job prospects; prior to university I was concerned about the reputation of the university and the course strength and all that rubbish, but now a year and two months in, I realise there are far more important factors to take into account, and that if you're going to get that job or internship, it'll be your doing and not your university's.
I would take Nottingham and York in terms of rankings
Reply 16
Nottingham and York.
im in a extremely similar position as you
i have applied for economics in nottingham and birmingham
economics and finance in york and lancaster

but my aim is strictly an investment banking or a traders position
if i want to get into an accountant job in a big firm i wil stay at my current universirty (keele) doing economics and finance :smile:

from what i hear nottingham is targeterd uni for IB (not as targeted as oxbridge/lse)
please someone feel free to correct me :smile: as i might not be right
Reply 18
If i had realised york accepted general studies, i would of applied there as an insurance, instead i have leicester :/
Reply 19
Original post by Wezzler
If i had realised york accepted general studies, i would of applied there as an insurance, instead i have leicester :/

Ive actually never realised they accept general studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending