The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Xanthe
I applied for the same course as you and was rejected with out an interview. I've decided to accept my offer from the LSE to read BSc International Relations which is what I really want to do.

on a second note...you got into the LSE but got rejected from the SSEES? what was that about!? did you include anything about eastern europe in your personal statement?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 141
I just included a book I had read on Europe in my PS. My PS was heavily focused on Politics and IR though so I thought that may have sufficed.

Hey, I think I may have seen you at King's! What did you look like? What were you wearing? etc I was the last girl to walk in...
hahaha

err...I was wearing a black suit...medium-long dark brown hair, brownish skin :p:

what about you?

I had a sheet with all the interview details on it..which told us who our interviewer was etc....it also had all of our names on it...but I can't seem to find it anywhere! otherwise I could check to see if you were on the list :biggrin:
Reply 143
...Where you the Indian guy?
Reply 144
There was someone of this description who had applied for War Studies and Classics and was on a Gap Year. Is this you?
Reply 145
I got an offer for History V101! Unconditional ("Please send verification of qualifications to institution plus an original or verified copy of your Academic Reference as submitted on your UCAS form"). Hooray for me! Anyone else going to do V101?
thecooldude

(The SSEES used to be part of KCL!)

Both are fairly unique in the UK - only a couple of unis have War/Peace departments in the UK and a couple have eastern european courses

What attracts me to the UCL course is that I would have the opportunity to explore different areas - economics, politics and even sociology. Additionally not all of this is geared directly at Eastern Europe. But I also find Eastern Europe really interesting and wouldn't mind studing that region. I would also be able to learn a language ab inito (should I wish to).

War Studies is fairly concentrated in that respect (although there are a couple of modules you can choose from)

What put me off at the interview at KCL is that most people were interested in the Ministry of Defence (MoD). Some were already in regiments and the army was paying for their undergraduate course. Others were planning to join after they graduated (not as in infantry but in other areas - e.g. intelligence).

This is from talking to current 2nd years at KCL in the War Department and not the prospective students that were there at the interview stage.

This is not to say that EVERYONE on the course in interested in joining the MoD but a significant number are (or atleast that's the impression I got). This is something that I don't find appealing. Personally, I am not interested in joining the MoD in any form.

I find it quite a tough decision....:confused:

Plus I found the UCL campus better

Both KCL and UCL had great atmospheres when I visited

:smile:

plus ucl is a better (in most aspects) uni.

although war studies did look fun. but i didn't like KCL as much as UCL.
Reply 147
Molsaka G
Hello :smile: ,

I am applying for history in the SSEES. Anyone else, or people who are already doing the course?

LOL, I know this is kind of weird to reply to since it was posted last November. Anyway, I'm going to do History at SSEES in September. How about you?

EDIT: I found out that you got an offer by reading previous posts in this thread. Did you accept it?
Reply 148
So did everyone recieve their SSEES reading lists today? It seems ok, though I'm not sure how much I'll get through...
Reply 149
Ludivine
So did everyone recieve their SSEES reading lists today? It seems ok, though I'm not sure how much I'll get through...

Yes I got my reading list today. "You are urged to get hold of at least four of these books and to read them thoroughly before you start your course at the School." :eek:

I've already bought one book two weeks ago or something, but so far I've read like 15 pages. I really should try and read more this summer...
Choose by department, people will respect KCL War studies over the mediocre UCl one (its still decent but not int he same league as War Studies).

Seriously!
Reply 151
What are you on about?
Reply 152
evilheat
What are you on about?

Haha.

Anyway, on closer inspection of the reading list (I guess I just wasn't paying much attention on first glance) it's not so bad; five short stories and three novels, then one history book to contextualise them (that bit I'll surely skip...) But then again, I'm still awaiting a similar list from the French department, so I doubt I'll get all that done!

I don't envy you having to read history books, but then you brought that on yourself... :p:
Reply 153
Ludivine
Haha.

Anyway, on closer inspection of the reading list (I guess I just wasn't paying much attention on first glance) it's not so bad; five short stories and three novels, then one history book to contextualise them (that bit I'll surely skip...) But then again, I'm still awaiting a similar list from the French department, so I doubt I'll get all that done!

I don't envy you having to read history books, but then you brought that on yourself... :p:

There are worse things than reading history books thankfully, such as Star Trek, torture, flowers, children, etc. I'll manage...

:cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending