The Student Room Group

Best C1, C2 revision guides?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DonFahad

I agree, but in roughly 600 words, there isn't any room for Maths prizes in an Economics personal statement. I think I've adjusted reasonably well in terms of GCSE to A level, but my mathematical ability on the whole, in the last 4 years, has declined, due to me getting by through copying homeworks, not being challenged and without being harsh, poor teaching. My yearly exam scores in maths have undergone a steady decline too. These exams are going to be my way of kick starting them up again...

From what I've heard, there's a fair bit of maths involved in economics so if in your personal statement you're able to show ability in maths (even if only briefly) then that would be good. But you don't have to worry about that for a while and your school would probably be able to help you choose which things to prioritise.

Bear in mind as the material gets harder, it's natural for scores to go down a bit. At A-level, if I got 90% in a maths exam I would feel I'd done quite badly but at university, 90% would be a very high mark.

At GCSE the teacher we had for maths wasn't that good and I noticed a few people in our set who were previously really good at maths found it much harder. I remember those people did end up copying each other and they got caught because they all say next to each other and handed their homework in at the same time so when the teacher went through the pile of homeworks, he would mark the exact same work one after the other. But he was the kind of teacher who couldn't really be bothered to do much about it. It's best to avoid copying other people's work because you learn much better by actually doing the work. Even if you spend an hour trying to do the question and not succeeding, you still learn something.
Reply 21
Original post by ttoby
From what I've heard, there's a fair bit of maths involved in economics so if in your personal statement you're able to show ability in maths (even if only briefly) then that would be good. But you don't have to worry about that for a while and your school would probably be able to help you choose which things to prioritise.

Bear in mind as the material gets harder, it's natural for scores to go down a bit. At A-level, if I got 90% in a maths exam I would feel I'd done quite badly but at university, 90% would be a very high mark.

At GCSE the teacher we had for maths wasn't that good and I noticed a few people in our set who were previously really good at maths found it much harder. I remember those people did end up copying each other and they got caught because they all say next to each other and handed their homework in at the same time so when the teacher went through the pile of homeworks, he would mark the exact same work one after the other. But he was the kind of teacher who couldn't really be bothered to do much about it. It's best to avoid copying other people's work because you learn much better by actually doing the work. Even if you spend an hour trying to do the question and not succeeding, you still learn something.

Ah yes, but you see, that is my problem, I dont have the mental capacity (or atleast, didn't) to sit and work through a problem for an hour. Now, because I see how crucial it is to get into a top uni for economics, I am willing to work harder... I haven't copied a homework this year, and my marks arent as good as last years, but I'm learning more... 90% at Uni would be ridiculously high wouldn't it?
Reply 22

Ah yes, but you see, that is my problem, I dont have the mental capacity (or atleast, didn't) to sit and work through a problem for an hour. Now, because I see how crucial it is to get into a top uni for economics, I am willing to work harder... I haven't copied a homework this year, and my marks arent as good as last years, but I'm learning more... 90% at Uni would be ridiculously high wouldn't it?

That's good that you're working harder. Yeah 90% is extremely high at university. I think with essays the way they mark them makes it pretty much impossible to get that, but with maths exams it is possible to get it but not many people do get it. However I don't know the exact numbers for certain since these sorts of statistics are not made public (I suppose if they were made public then everyone would sign up for whichever modules gave the highest average marks).
hi, i'm taking OCR MEI maths, can I just ask, what's the difference between MEI and just plain OCR? Would the Janet Crawshaw books cover my syllabus or is there any topics not covered for MEI by this book? thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending