The Student Room Group

Appeals after appeals still refused

Hi all,

Heres the problem SFE has refused to support me on tuition fees, heres the situation back in 2002-2004 i did a HND course, then in 2007 i was going to do a top up course however, due to the long commute and working commitments i had to withdraw (i had enrolled). In 2010 (at present) I am now doing the top up degree in a different university.

What i don't understand is when i appealled they wrote back with the formula for those who are familiar; 1+1=2 - 3 =0 year so to speak i owe them 1 year support. then i wrote back confirming i am on an end on course so i the formula should be 3+1 = 4 - 3 = 1 year support left.
They then told me i am not classed as an end on course student due to the time laspe???

So my questions is what formula do i use for my case? and does anyone have 1+1 years? and if it helps the top up degree in 2007 i did not take out a student loan or tuition fee but i was given the maintenance grant which i paid back.

Help please
Reply 1
Just posting as a marker, I'll reply in more detail tomorrow.
Hi Taiko, do you have the answer to my ongoing and confussing problem?
Reply 3
Ok, you should be assessed under Regulation 23(5) of The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2009. Although by definition you are not and end on student, you are completing a course at a higher level to that previously obtained. Regulation 23(5) is as follows:

(5) The standard entitlement of a student to whom paragraph (2) applies is calculated as follows–-

(D+X) - PrC

where
D is the greater of 3 and the number of academic years that make up the ordinary duration of the course
X is
1 where the ordinary duration of the preliminary course was less than three years,
2 where the ordinary duration of the preliminary course was three years,
3 where the ordinary duration of the preliminary course was four years,
4 where the ordinary duration of the preliminary course was five years, and
5 where the ordinary duration of the preliminary course was six years
PrC is the number of academic years that the student spent on the preliminary course excluding any years of repeat study for compelling personal reasons.

Given this, it would be (3+1) - 2 = 2 years entitlement for the top-up, allowing you that one year also where you withdrew due to not being able to attend. You are therefore eligible for support under this. Even if they done the calculation as repeat study, you'd be ok as it's the first repeat.
Thanks Taiko, I think i have found the problem, SFE didnt add the ordinary duration of my current course hence the (1+1) = 3 equation! so fingers cross im going to ask the university to confirm that the ordinary duration of my course is 3 years. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending