Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

DAY X: Biggest Student Protests Ever - Be There!!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101201/...d-dba1618.html

Thursday 9th December. The day MPs vote on the proposed trebling of university fees. 200,000 students are expected to march through London towards parliament to make their voices heard.

Let's make the 9th the day the Condems begin to listen to the people they are meant to represent.

Join our fight: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136567579732280
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sweet! I'm going to throw a fire extinguisher off a roof!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I hope this is true
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebos)

Let's make it a day the Condems will never forget.
    Oh don't worry I'll be there.

To help get us in the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSKrBX_FA-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fLOJswWtk

Anarchy in the UK!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)

To help get us in the mood.

Anarchy in the UK!!
    As if we needed help to get in the mood.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Whats the point in doing this on the day..i smell trouble and if you cause chaos on the day they'll vote for the rise so its probably the wrong day to do it. What satisfaction are you going to get. They'll just raise them another time after the fuss has calmed down. Also what day is the actual vote, i bet they don't tell people.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    Whats the point in doing this on the day..i smell trouble and if you cause chaos on the day they'll vote for the rise so its probably the wrong day to do it. What satisfaction are you going to get. They'll just raise them another time after the fuss has calmed down. Also what day is the actual vote, i bet they don't tell people.
    Erm I think you're mistaking me for one of the organizers, I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/b..._day_1_2807953

The day MPs vote on the proposed trebling of university fees. 250,000 students are expected to march through London to make their voices heard.

Might go, since I couldn't be bothered with the other protests

Unrelated but when did you send your ucas application? I see on of the choices is the same as mine (QMUL)
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/b..._day_1_2807953

The day MPs vote on the proposed trebling of university fees. 250,000 students are expected to march through London to make their voices heard.

I think this will most likely be the smallest judging by the other protest's
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I think this will most likely be the smallest judging by the other protest's
    lol We'll soon see.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol We'll soon see.

Maybe of these students wanted to make a real point they would donate money for the policing cost and clean up cost?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you are trying to intimidate them into voting against the rises by marching on the day of the vote? Well for one I will imagine most already know which way they are going to vote and I also think pissing off the people who are voting is a bad idea.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    as much as the students are protesting, has there been any impact so far on the fees increasing/decreasing? NO. and probably no effect in the future.

it wud be interesting to see what wud happen on day X and the effect on the gov. but i'd rather be in college learning.

my economics teacher said there were loads of sixth formers in the protest yesterday and they shud have been in school, including a former mate of mine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Who knows maybe they've already voted......duh duh dummmmmmmmmmmmm
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Greeeaaat...

This is going to go swimmingly :sigh:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the actual date? It just says 'the day they will vote'. Am I missing something or has it not been decided yet?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    250,000 students? :lolwut:

Isn't that about a third of the total?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oasis Jnr)
    as much as the students are protesting, has there been any impact so far on the fees increasing/decreasing? NO. and probably no effect in the future.
    Well I'm glad the poll-tax protestors weren't as defeatist as you. The right to protest has been and will continue to be an important tool for progressive change. It gives ordinary people a chance to make their voice heard.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    What's the actual date? It just says 'the day they will vote'. Am I missing something or has it not been decided yet?
    All that has been confirmed so far is that it will take place before Christmas.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I remember watching on the news one of the last protests. The students who were interviewed and shown on TV seemed so dumb... some tried to act like they understood what was going on and some just obviously didn't care and just wanted to **** around... the guy who was asked what he had in his hand and replied with 'it's a rassclart weapon' comes to mind.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2010
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.