The Student Room Group

regional languages - are they important?

Hi

I'm going to give a presentation on regional languages, specifically Galician. I have some information on the history and origins and what Galicians do to preserve their heritage but I would like to include some information on factors that could possibly have a negative impact on the language. For example, children not hearing Galician in the home. Can anybody think of more?

I want to conclude with how important I think they are.
What about them not being taught. I mean, I don't know how it is the schools where it 'should' be taught, but outside they're not taught. So this could have an impact.
Reply 2
You should have done it on Catalan. I'm currently living here and they are CRAZY about it. They vandalise signs written in Castilian, they give out flyers about how they can make Catalonia a country of its own and become independent ... I also got told they introduced Catalan in schools about 25 years ago and brainwashed all the kids :/
Reply 3
I spent a year in Galicia though, so I thought it would be easier to relate to my own experiences. There is probably more to say on Catalan though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending