The Student Room Group

Don't you just love to be British?

According to Wikepedia, "At its height it [the British Empire] was the largest empire in history and, for over a century, was the foremost global power."

It's so great to be a Briton we are so proud.

PS. America sucks :biggrin:
Yeh "at its height" it was pretty powerful and so on.....unfortunately it's far from being "at its height" now.

Catch 22 situation...these days Britain isn't at its height, but quality of life for people within the country is, relatively speaking, not that bad. Yes I know taxes are disgusting and the government just makes angels want to weep, but.....

if we compare with Britain at its height, the country itself might have been pretty impressive on a global scale, but life for commoners was kind of rubbish. I'm rather glad I DIDN'T experience Britain at its height (well not unless I was a noblewoman or something).

Honestly, weighing it up, is it really that fantastic to be British?

I really don't see what comparing it to America has to do with it. I have no desire either to be American, but there are lots of other countries where quality of life is far superior to Britain at the moment.
Reply 2
Why be proud of an accident of birth? You personally had nothing to do with the British Empire.
Reply 3
Wasn't the Mongol Empire the biggest?
Reply 4
How can be proud of something you are? You didn't achieve it...
Reply 5
What about Roman, Mongol, Sassanid and Ottoman Empires.......? :holmes:

Spoiler

Can I say the same for Mughal Empire, as I am one. :crown:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending