The Student Room Group

Sandwich Courses/ Industry Placements

I'm hoping to do biology at uni and was wondering if it would be very advantageous if i was to do a sandwich course.

Obviously the work experience will look good on the CV, but is it worth the extra years tuition fee's and rent?
Reply 1
Speaking as someone who has just a sibling graduate from a very prestigious uni, work experience counts for a lot. The long and short of it is she hasn't had enough experience in the job she wants to go into, and a lot of people I know who have either graduated recently or are doing their finals stress how important internships/work experience in general is when applying for work later on.

You pay either no fees or half fees for that year and will at least get paid something for your work - a lot of universities boast about the massive salaries students earn, however you are likely to get something around the £12k/14k mark. On top of that, some people who impress their employer in that year are even offered a job after graduation - what more could you want? Of course this isn't as frequent as a lot of universities would have you believe, but it does happen. The way I see it is that ten years from now, spending an extra year in education won't seem like any time at all really.

Hope that helps.
Reply 2
Original post by ro.
I'm hoping to do biology at uni and was wondering if it would be very advantageous if i was to do a sandwich course.

Obviously the work experience will look good on the CV, but is it worth the extra years tuition fee's and rent?

(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending