The Student Room Group

Kingston or Roehampton? Your opinions please.

I haven't seen either, but I heard Kingston (my course is at Penryhn Road campus) isn't nice and I have heard Roehampton was. I have applid for Journalism and/with Sociology at both. And I will not be living in halls, so I don't really care what those are like. But where could I find better/cheaper private accomodation? What are the surrounding areas like? And the unis themselves? Any comments will be appreciated :biggrin: Except for "both are crap" - those kind wouldn't be useful :wink: :biggrin: :p: Thanks !!!!
Reply 1
Ps, I posted this here because the universities forum isn't as busy so I thought I'd stand a better chance of getting people's opinions here. Hope you don't mind :smile:
Reply 2
I have friends at both Roehampton and Kingston, and by all accounts, they all seem to be loving it. The one at Kingston is doing Psychology and Sociology (so partly the same course as you). Sorry I can't be much help. From what my friends have said, Roehampton has a nice campus
Reply 3
Oh, that sounds good then :biggrin: I was a bit put off by all the negativity spread about Kingston ... I have applied now anyway (although acording to my Welcome Letter, I still have 3 days to change my choices :biggrin: lol), but I am still very interested in opinions and experience !!
Reply 4
Anybody else habe any opinions ????
Reply 5
Well I'm applying to Roehampton, as my Classics teacher at school recommended it cos apparently it's really easy to fit in there and get to know people due to everything being pretty close together, whereas Kingston is more spread out. She also said she'd recommend it for the high girl to guy ratio, lol, although I suppose that may be a negative for you...
Anne*UK*06
I haven't seen either, but I heard Kingston (my course is at Penryhn Road campus) isn't nice and I have heard Roehampton was. I have applid for Journalism and/with Sociology at both. And I will not be living in halls, so I don't really care what those are like. But where could I find better/cheaper private accomodation? What are the surrounding areas like? And the unis themselves? Any comments will be appreciated :biggrin: Except for "both are crap" - those kind wouldn't be useful :wink: :biggrin: :p: Thanks !!!!

I'm from South-West London so know both areas pretty well. There isn't really much in Roehampton - it's generally a place you go through to get somewhere else, whereas Kingston is quite substantial in size and self-sufficient; full of bars, restaurants etc and has a very good range of shops. Kingston as a town is definitely a nice place, although admittedly I have never visited the university so can't comment on the campus. The surrounding areas are nice too - places like Richmond, Kingston, Wimbledon (where I'm from), Twickenham etc. The only downside is that it's pretty expensive to live in or anywhere near Kingston, but I imagine that students generally live out of town.
Reply 7
Oh, really? Then Where do they live? I won't be able to stay in halls, so how much do you think I should expect to pay for rent?

And thx for your comments, sounds really nice about Kingston. I like Roehampton uni better from what I've read, but I will have a look at both if I get offers :biggrin:
Anne*UK*06
Oh, really? Then Where do they live? I won't be able to stay in halls, so how much do you think I should expect to pay for rent?

I'm not exactly sure...but I had a quick glance at www.accommodationforstudents.com and one of the popular areas seems to be Surbiton but don't be surprised if you have to pay around 85-100 per week for a medium sized room. Saying that, Raynes Park is a few stops away on the train from Kingston and accommodation would definitely be cheaper there.
Reply 9
Anne*UK*06

And thx for your comments, sounds really nice about Kingston. I like Roehampton uni better from what I've read, but I will have a look at both if I get offers :biggrin:

I'm a student at Liverpool, but my friend reads Philosophy at Roehampton and I visited him fairly recently and had a night out in Kingston.

The student union at Roehampton is appalling, i've been to quite a few and it was the worst by a long way. However, the campus my friend was staying at was really nice and he seems to enjoy his course.

As someone already said, there is nothing really in Roehampton, Kingston on the other hand is really cool. The oceana there is fantastic and there are some lovely places near the river.

I'm afraid I can't give you anything on the courses, but personally, I would much rather live in Kingston.
Reply 10
Uhm, I really want to change my uni choices because I want to apply to this one course at Winchester ... Either Roehampton or Kingston will have to go and I have to decide today. I don't know what to do :eek: I like the course at Roehampton better and I was told the uni was nicer. I can imagine Kingston being nice, but it might actually be too expensive :frown: Is Roehampton cheaper to live in?
Reply 11
Btw, sorry to be so dumbo-ish, but what exactly is a student union :redface: ??
Reply 12
Anne*UK*06
Uhm, I really want to change my uni choices because I want to apply to this one course at Winchester ... Either Roehampton or Kingston will have to go and I have to decide today. I don't know what to do :eek: I like the course at Roehampton better and I was told the uni was nicer. I can imagine Kingston being nice, but it might actually be too expensive :frown: Is Roehampton cheaper to live in?

Okay, forget it, I called UCAS again and the guy I spoke to this time changed it :biggrin: Some idiotic fools there :rolleyes:

But I still dunno what a student union is :biggrin: lol

Latest

Trending

Trending