The Student Room Group

Pain in shoulder- hurts when I breathe?

Hi all,

For the past 3 days, I've have severe pain in my right shoulder and neck and it's got to the point where everytime I inhale/exhale I get a shooting pain along my neck and it sort of goes through me :frown: I've been taking painkillers which numbs most of the pain but it's comes back every few hours worse than before.

Has anyone had this before? I thought it might have been the way I slept but the fact that I still have it 2 days later might mean it's more serious. Either way I really hope this goes away because I can't sleep properly and massaging my shoulder isn't helping..

Edit: Of course I've made a doctors appointment. I'm simply asking if other people have had this...
(edited 13 years ago)
It could be something simple like a pulled muscle, or something a bit more serious- I suggest making an appointment with your GP tomorrow for an examination. We can't say what it could be, or how to help really!

When will people on tsr ever learn?!
Reply 2
Omg! I had this like 2 weeks ago.

I went to the docs, was told I'd pulled a muscle.

I couldn't breathe as efficiently or even cough without pain, it went away gradually though. But doctors perhaps?
Reply 3
Stop breathing, that should solve the problem :smile:.

Or more seriously you could just go to the doctor. If something hurts and you have no idea why, it's usually not something you should ignore.
Reply 4
Original post by Nayberay
Omg! I had this like 2 weeks ago.

I went to the docs, was told I'd pulled a muscle.

I couldn't breathe as efficiently or even cough without pain, it went away gradually though. But doctors perhaps?

First helpful post.. thank god for that :smile:

yeah, my mum said it was probably a pulled muscle as well. I've got the doctor's tomorrow so we'll see. I just hate how I can't lie down, yawn or laugh without that pain, it's probably the worst I've had.
Reply 5
It is almost surely nothing more than muscle pain. Before I popped my shoulder a few times it used to hurt like hell for no reason. At martial arts I used to have a heavy weight punch my shoulder at the back to relieve it for a few minutes. Odd but just happened. Often down to sleeping on it funny or a gf sleeping on it.

Now, since I dislocated it and separated it in two car accidents I found it aches like you said more but hurts less :: confused ::
Reply 6
Original post by xnatalie01x
First helpful post.. thank god for that :smile:

yeah, my mum said it was probably a pulled muscle as well. I've got the doctor's tomorrow so we'll see. I just hate how I can't lie down, yawn or laugh without that pain, it's probably the worst I've had.

Most certainly muscular. You know for nearly 3 months I was experiencing facial pain, inner ear pain, head pain and nausea and throbbing pain in my left arm. My face would also tingle. I was treated for all kinds of infections when it actually turned out I had sternocleidmastoid syndrome - an illness stemming from neck injury. So now I'm having physiotherapy.

Muscle problems can cause very strange symptoms.
OP, out of curiousity, what did the doctor say?

I only ask because I usually get pains in my shoulder when running or walking fast and I always just assumed it was one of those things, until I started getting it a few days a go, and assumed it was something to do with the cold... and started to get a bit worried. So, what did they say about it lol?
This same thing is happening to me I looked it up and I just thought it was pleurisy pain it only happens when I lay down and cough and breathe I used a inhaler it helped a little bit (Btw my thing may not be the same as yours)

Quick Reply

Latest