The Student Room Group

Falmouth Uni - Journalism - Anyone applied/go there?

I've heard some really great stuff about the Uni. Depending on whether I get an offer, I'm most likely to put this as my firm or insurance..
Anyone been to see it? I'm considering it as I live in Devon and it's a similar kind of place. Thanks people! :smile:
Reply 1
I have never been in the uni so to speak, but I used to live there. All the students seemed like friendly intelligent people, and I too heard good things of it from people I knw who studied there. Falmouth is a nice town, but it's hardly a particularily interesting place to be.
Reply 2
Ahhh I'm a fan of the quaint relaxed place. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Mainguy
I have never been in the uni so to speak, but I used to live there. All the students seemed like friendly intelligent people, and I too heard good things of it from people I knw who studied there. Falmouth is a nice town, but it's hardly a particularily interesting place to be.

oowh, I'm planning to study there why isn't it an intertesting place?
:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Zoe Edwards
oowh, I'm planning to study there why isn't it an intertesting place?
:smile:

I guess it depends. There's a lot of down and outs there, that's for sure. Although the beach life can be awesome, if you're into sailing it's a perfect place to be. I think it would be a pretty great place to go to uni, make some top friends, and just go out in the countryside and do stuff. For living there on a day to day basis though, I don't think it's great.
Original post by Mainguy
I guess it depends. There's a lot of down and outs there, that's for sure. Although the beach life can be awesome, if you're into sailing it's a perfect place to be. I think it would be a pretty great place to go to uni, make some top friends, and just go out in the countryside and do stuff. For living there on a day to day basis though, I don't think it's great.

I'm from Birmingham!! though (*** hole) so I would love to live by the coast, going to apply for the uni next year can't wait :smile: !
Thanks for your help :smile:
I too will hopefully doing this course, am on an Access course doing Journalism in Truro with the aim of studying it at a higher level.

Have heard fantastic things about uni with Falmouth and Bournemouth the forerunners in the Journalistic field.

Jamie
is this falmouth in brighton or someone else?
Reply 8
Original post by JamieNewsroom
I too will hopefully doing this course, am on an Access course doing Journalism in Truro with the aim of studying it at a higher level.

Have heard fantastic things about uni with Falmouth and Bournemouth the forerunners in the Journalistic field.

Jamie

I'm doing a media BTEC in weston-super-mare and we've been recommended Falmouth and Bournemouth for media related degrees from the beginning. For somewhere outside of an industry led city it's pretty well respected!
Oh also hoping to study journalism here in september :smile:
Original post by air-ninety-one
is this falmouth in brighton or someone else?

It's in Cornwall.
Reply 10
I've applied there (for Journalism) and attending an interview there on the 17th, as well as having to bring an example news article (had to be about something to do with your life right now, very awkward).

I'm unbelievably nervous about the interview. I've looked around for the sort of questions which are going to be asked and finding very little information about it, anyone have any idea? Would be much appreciated for myself and others.

Really hoping to receive an offer from here, it'll be an instant firm choice if I do.
Gosh, when I was applying to Falmouth uni, I really struggled to find other people applying to the same place. Everyone seemed to go for the big city unis.
I'm at Falmouth uni at the moment studying Journalism in second year, it's great to see lots of interest in the course!

I'm really enjoying the course so far and I'm nearly half way through! Uni life is whatever you want it to be. There are plenty of bars and places to go including the beach which is practically on my doorstep.

In response to the question about the interview, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I panicked so much before mine and I had the last one of the day so I had to sit around all day while everyone else got theirs out of the way! It's a good idea to make a portfolio type thing of any work you've done so far. I took in all the college newspapers that I'd written for and I got offered a conditional place in the interview because no one else had bothered to bring in stuff they'd done.

I got Jason interviewing me so I can only tell you what he might ask. Plus his questions might have changed by now, it has been 2 years! From what I remember, he asked me why I wanted to study in Falmouth, why i wanted to study journalism and I think there was one more question but I can't remember it :frown: sorry. It's always a good idea to have a good question to ask at the end too. They usually ask if you've got any questions. I asked why they didn't have NCTJ accrediation, that was just something I really wanted to know though.

Any questions about the course/uni just ask :smile:
Reply 12
Ooo yay journalism people! Strawberry fields, that's really useful thanks for posting! Did you have to do the article to take in for the interview when you went?
I was thinking about asking about the NTCJ accreditation but not sure how it would go down, I'm guessing they still don't have it?
The interview doesn't sound as scary as I thought it would be, I've been thinking they were going to quiz me on what was happening in the news and ask loads of things about my life!
I went to the Falmouth open day recently and loved it so I'm really hoping to get an offer
Original post by R.Hendy
Ooo yay journalism people! Strawberry fields, that's really useful thanks for posting! Did you have to do the article to take in for the interview when you went?
I was thinking about asking about the NTCJ accreditation but not sure how it would go down, I'm guessing they still don't have it?
The interview doesn't sound as scary as I thought it would be, I've been thinking they were going to quiz me on what was happening in the news and ask loads of things about my life!
I went to the Falmouth open day recently and loved it so I'm really hoping to get an offer

Well, like I said, they might have changed it by now so that people like me can't tell you all the answers! But, no they didn't quiz me on all the news and stuff, I bought a paper just in case as well!

Yeah, I had to do an article, it was 500 words wasn't it? I did it on a trip to Gambia i was going to do in the next month and the charity work involved with it. But it's not easy writing an article about yourself, I think its more so they can assess your writing style. I never found out what they thought of it so I don't think you get marked on it or anything!

They still don't have the NCTJ accreditation, but when I asked about it, I was told they didn't want it, they didn't like what it offered and they have the magazine equivalent (can't remember what that's called) and they have Skillset. I got told that it depends what I want to do when I finish uni, if I want to work in news then NCTJ is probably quite important, but otherwise not really.
Original post by LeighG
I've applied there (for Journalism) and attending an interview there on the 17th, as well as having to bring an example news article (had to be about something to do with your life right now, very awkward).

I'm unbelievably nervous about the interview. I've looked around for the sort of questions which are going to be asked and finding very little information about it, anyone have any idea? Would be much appreciated for myself and others.

Really hoping to receive an offer from here, it'll be an instant firm choice if I do.

I'm just finishing my article now ready for my interview; it is extremely awkward writing about yourself-how is everyone else getting on with it?
I've applied to Falmouth, they told me to send a piece of work which is no longer than a page and it has to have been marked. I can't remember the last time that I did a piece of work under 2 pages. Anyone else get that?
Reply 16
Original post by BlueSmartie
I'm just finishing my article now ready for my interview; it is extremely awkward writing about yourself-how is everyone else getting on with it?

I'm starting mine this weekend, I've been putting it off because it is so awkward writing about yourself! What have you done yours on if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 17
I've applied for Falmouth University too (Journalism :P), I'm going there for the 7th of February and I live in Portsmouth. That trip will be fun :wink:.

The article confused me, I don't understand how anyone my age will interested in my life at the current moment. I have an idea of how it could work, but not a very good one. :frown:.
Reply 18
Original post by Nyxih
I've applied for Falmouth University too (Journalism :P), I'm going there for the 7th of February and I live in Portsmouth. That trip will be fun :wink:.

The article confused me, I don't understand how anyone my age will interested in my life at the current moment. I have an idea of how it could work, but not a very good one. :frown:.

And I thought my journey would be bad! :P
That's the exact same problem I'm having, I could write something but it definitely wouldn't be interesting to anyone, not even me lol. I wish they'd given more freedom to write about anything you wanted, would have been so much easier!
What kind of thing were you thinking?
Reply 19
I would like to give you an idea of what I've done but I have done it in a unique fashion so I stand out and will hopefully get an offer.

All I will say is think about it logically and rationally about it.

It's not something I would spend hours worrying about, they just want to see that you can write a coherent and cohesive news article and that you have talent.

Good luck. My interview is Monday, woop. I will tell you how I get along :P x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending