The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
in the morning before breakfast is better. youll burn to more fat this way. if you have breakfast before the jog/run, youll only be burning off the calories youve had for breakfast. also, jogging in the mornings raises your base metabolic rate for the day, youll also feel more awake as well. while i was cutting (lowering my body fat), i would jog on mons, weds and friday, then do hiit training (google it if you want to know more) on tues and thurs.

after breakfast, eat low gi carbs i.e. brown foods, muesli, oats, brown bread, have some fruit/fruit juice and lots of water to rehydrate yourself as you should be sweating after the jog.

theres no point jogging in the evenings as youll most probably wouldnt be as active during the day, also, your metabolic rate drops whilst you go to sleep, unless of course, you have an evening job where it would be more beneficial for you to jog in the night.
Reply 2
Yeah I agree, morning is the best time. Persoanlly I'm usually more alert and awake at night than I am in the morning, but going for a run in the morning really does wake you up and make you feel better for the rest of the day.
Reply 3
Stone
in the morning before breakfast is better. youll burn to more fat this way. if you have breakfast before the jog/run, youll only be burning off the calories youve had for breakfast. also, jogging in the mornings raises your base metabolic rate for the day, youll also feel more awake as well. while i was cutting (lowering my body fat), i would jog on mons, weds and friday, then do hiit training (google it if you want to know more) on tues and thurs.

after breakfast, eat low gi carbs i.e. brown foods, muesli, oats, brown bread, have some fruit/fruit juice and lots of water to rehydrate yourself as you should be sweating after the jog.

theres no point jogging in the evenings as youll most probably wouldnt be as active during the day, also, your metabolic rate drops whilst you go to sleep, unless of course, you have an evening job where it would be more beneficial for you to jog in the night.

Wow!!!!!!! thanks a lot, it was loads of useful information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will google hit training!!!
Anyways, have a question, how much did you burn??? and or how long did you do these trainings? and how long did you usually run?
I guess I prefer morning for cardio, but afternoon for things like weight lifting.

A lot of people dont like fasted cardio (before breakfast in this case) claiming they lose too much muscle. I dont recall having that problem with it. Although HIIT is awesomely hardcore, I found good fat loss results doing 45+minutes of fairly moderate intensity cycling before breakfast almost every day. You could alternate days of HIIT and LI perhaps?

--Joe
Reply 5
couldnt agree with your more joe, but i dont think cherry is concerned about keeping muscle mass. if you are joe, i would recommend some bcaa's before the morning cardio, i certainly took them as i was also worried about losing muscle mass.
Reply 6
Before breakfast is best, or eat something light and then go out after breakfast.
Reply 7
Morning, because not only will you burn more fat, but the water in the air will help clear your skin/keep it clear.
Reply 8
hmmm i might try cycling in the mornings... i hate jogging outside cos people always look at me and i always get paranoid that they're thinking "yeah, good thing she's jogging. she bloody well needs it!"
Reply 9
Stone

Given that it can take anything from 10 minutes - 7 hours for the products of digestion to reach your blood stream, how is it a certainty that she will just be burning what she just ate for breakfast on the run?

No point jogging in the evenings? Surely the fact that your metabolic rate drops as the day goes on is a very good reason to do exercise later on in the day, as it will provide a boost?
CherryGarcia
ok, here is the question. Does anyone know, when is the best time for training. I am thinking to start running, and dont know actually what time it is better to do, in the morning before or after breakfast? or in the evening before or after food???? :confused:
thanks for your replies :biggrin:

I know people get really funny about being reccommended to other parts of the forum but in the armed forces section there has been an excellent section put together by a user on here called BlackHawk, she has puts some really useful tips. It is not just for people training to be in the military as my house mates (who are really not that fit) have found it really handy, so take a look :biggrin:
Reply 11
Ruhr_Phantom
I know people get really funny about being reccommended to other parts of the forum but in the armed forces section there has been an excellent section put together by a user on here called BlackHawk, she has puts some really useful tips. It is not just for people training to be in the military as my house mates (who are really not that fit) have found it really handy, so take a look :biggrin:

thanks a lot :biggrin:
will try to find it!!!
Reply 12
Ruhr_Phantom

Holy cow, black hawk is female!?!?
Reply 13
john171

haahhaha, why ru so surprised? :confused:
Reply 14
imasillynarb
Given that it can take anything from 10 minutes - 7 hours for the products of digestion to reach your blood stream, how is it a certainty that she will just be burning what she just ate for breakfast on the run?

No point jogging in the evenings? Surely the fact that your metabolic rate drops as the day goes on is a very good reason to do exercise later on in the day, as it will provide a boost?

but would you feel comfortable jogging after having a decent breakfast? surely a good breakfast should be eaten for the start of the day with some rest after, not what you can eat so that it feels comfortable while you do cardio for x amount of time.

yep, no point, why would you want to boost your bmr for only a few hours at a time where you are least active and then go to sleep after?
Reply 15
john171

Lol :biggrin:

Having met BH in the flesh I can assure you she is definitely female.
Reply 16
CherryGarcia
ok, here is the question. Does anyone know, when is the best time for training. I am thinking to start running, and dont know actually what time it is better to do, in the morning before or after breakfast? or in the evening before or after food???? :confused:
thanks for your replies :biggrin:

In the morning after breakfast or around 3pm in the afternoon
In the morning! Go in the morning my friend, but if you can't, go before lunch. I never miss a day at the gym anymore (unless I'm running), and if I have one of those days in which classes are on from 9am, I'll just go before lunch.

Either way, you're not really meant to eat 2 hours before going to the gym. Well I tend to go to the gym on an empty stomach anyway :p:
Reply 18
Ok, today was feeling full of energy and ready to start jogging, but when I just went out it was soooo bloody COLD. It is all in snow in the city where I live and it is minus 4. I decided to tarin at home =( was soo sad about it,, almost for the fisrt time of my life I orgonized myself and could not do it...
CherryGarcia
Ok, today was feeling full of energy and ready to start jogging, but when I just went out it was soooo bloody COLD. It is all in snow in the city where I live and it is minus 4. I decided to tarin at home =( was soo sad about it,, almost for the fisrt time of my life I orgonized myself and could not do it...

If your at home just try doing some exercises such as:

Press-ups
Sit-ups
Tricep-dips
Bicep-curls
Star jumps
Squats

You could start by doing 10 of each and then repeating.

Also working on your flexibility is an excellent way of keeping your body supple. Remember indoor activities such as swimming, tennis, squash, climbing etc. are all really good for you as well, as long as you warm up properly and cool down. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending