The Student Room Group

Should I tell them I don't want to do Physics in my interview?

I'm applying for Natural Sciences at Cambridge and I've got my interview soon. But I appear to have a Physics interview which isn't ideal. Should I tell them I wont be doing Physics at any point?

I would be classed as a Physical Natural Scientist because if I got in I'd be doing Chemistry, Earth Sciences and either computer science or materials science so there's nothing wrong with my options. But I'm worried I'll either (a) Put off the Physics guys when I tell them I wont be doing Physics or (b) Under perform in Physics interview because I know none of the stuff.

What should I do?
Email them and ask them why you've been given an interview for a subject you don't want to do!
hit them.
Don't say specifically that you don't want to do physics... just focus on what you DO want to do, and talk about the things you want to study. That'll imply what your interests are, without being "negative" at the same time

Edit: I assumed you made a typo and meant that you had a physics interviewer? Or is your interview actually for physics? If the latter.... WOAH surely you'd tell them that's not what you're applying for?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
You are smart enough to get in to Cambridge yet can't handle a situation like this? The answer is pretty obvious. (Hint: Gemma)
Reply 5
Trust me, you can't wing physics. So just email them and explain to them that it's not a subject you have any interest in studying, or ask them if there is a particular reason why they alloted that interview for you. If not, it could just be a mistake you now. Physics, physical scientist...:biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Gemma :)!
Email them and ask them why you've been given an interview for a subject you don't want to do!

It's not really as simple as that though. It's not a physics interview per se, they're both just interviews but I think one is definitely going to be more Physics based.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending