The Student Room Group

maths and physics in electronic engineering

hi
im currently working on my oersonal statement . however , im sturggling to find any maths/physics skills that would help me during my degree .

in physics i was adviced to write about the practical side and the only thing i managed to write is " i was taught how to set up electic circuits "

in maths and further maths i mentioned that these subjects intoduced me to differntaion ... etc which are featured in Electronic Engineering courses .

can anyone please tell me what to write ?
all i need to talk about is how maths/physics skills will hellp me at uni

thanks in advance .
Original post by emad309

Original post by emad309
im currently working on my oersonal statement . however , im sturggling to find any maths/physics skills that would help me during my degree .

Actually, nearly everything you have learnt in these during your time at school will come in useful!

Original post by emad309

They already know what is in the A-level maths and physics courses so there's no point simply listing bits of the syllabus. You need to make it personal - talk about which are your favourite bits of the course and then make it clear you know they're relevant to engineering.

e.g. you might want to say you find differentiation interesting because you enjoy being able to study the relationships between variables and find maxima and mimima, which is useful in optimising a design to maximise an output.

or you might say that you really enjoyed learning about, say, semiconductors (if your course touched on these), and look forward to learning more about them.

If you are having this much difficulty seeing how your A-level courses are relevant to engineering, it might be that you just don't know enough about what engineering involves - and this will likely come across on your personal statement. If you haven't already, maybe it'd be advisable to do some background reading? A list of some good books is on the Cambridge uni website here.
Reply 2
Original post by emad309
hi

in physics i was adviced to write about the practical side and the only thing i managed to write is " i was taught how to set up electic circuits "

in maths and further maths i mentioned that these subjects intoduced me to differntaion ... etc which are featured in Electronic Engineering courses .

thanks in advance .

In addition to what thebigfish has said, i would say read around ur subjects if possible. See how maths and physics tie together in electronic engineering. Look up the formulas for calculating the impedances of RLC (resistor, inductor and capacitor)circuits which should be basic complex number algebra.

Quick Reply